what 3 knives would you bring????

3 huh?

Ontario 12" machete
Darrell Parent LZ
Leatherman Wave

Nope, no Rangers on this trip.

Will, interesting choice I like it. I've never thought much about a small saw.

Darrell Parent LZ

SEND ME A PHOTO OF THAT TED

NEVER MIND--I FOUND HIS WEB PAGE

GREAT LOOKING LITTLE KNIFE

This thread is so much more usefull than all the "which one knife would you take" threads. If you are planning an outing then you can take whatever you can carry, while in an unplanned emergency you are obviously limited to your edc.

my picks: Fehrman Final judgement, Spyderco Dragonfly, and a pocket chainsaw

-Blair

This thread is so much more usefull than all the "which one knife would you take" threads. If you are planning an outing then you can take whatever you can carry, while in an unplanned emergency you are obviously limited to your edc.

my picks: Fehrman Final judgement, Spyderco Dragonfly, and a pocket chainsaw

-Blair

THAT SIR---IS ALL VERY TRUE!!!!

I'VE HAD PEOPLE TELL ME 3 KNIVES WERE NOT ENOUGH

???

SOMEONE ALWAYS WANTS TO BRING 1/2 OF WHAT THEY HAVE--OR MORE

Leatherman PST2, Busse Mud Razor (7") and a Martindale Golok (Gransfors Small forest axe For cold climate)..

Bush_Megs018.jpg

CS Master Hunter, SAK or scout folder. For a chopper: a machete, bolo, or tomahawk, depending on the time of year, the weight I want to carry and what I think I might be chopping.

However, I'm also with Buddahair on the pocket chainsaw. I've had one for years, never tried it until last week. I was amazed at it's efficiency. I could take down a 2-inch sapling in less than a minute, with ease. It's not much weight and very compact, so I'd probably take that as a fourth option.

Coldwood, have you gotten a chance to compare the pocket chain saw to the SAK saw in terms of efficiency? Which one is easier to use for you?

1. Gransfors Wilderness axe. Rater small but this was camping and not work. If it was a Wintertripp I would take a larger Gransfors.

2. Mora 2000 or rather one of my handmades in the same size. For hunting, or fishing. This is for me the things that make me stay out that long. Also for campwork.

3. Slipjoint or small lockbak for witling and fun. Mabye my Queen #9 stockman or fallkniven U2.

Bosse

All in one sheath at the moment. RAT-7, Wenger Mountaineer (has saw) , Gerber 600 Multi-tool.

No hatchet, no axe?? you ask?

I don't chop too much, lots of work. This is a good thread, given the choice of 3 :thumbup:

- - - -

OK, 2nd set-up.

HHFSH, Wenger Mountainer, 18 inch piece of 1/2" wide bandsaw blade for fashioning framesaw.

I would bring a parang, a thin bladed knife (like a kitchen knife) and a folder. That should be enough. I'm not planning on building a log cabin, haha.

Ok---all Excellent Answers-----some Much Different Than Others.

-shit Hit The Fan---your 30 Miles From Town-

-your Car Is Gone---stolen.(you Find This Out 1 Hour Before Sunset)--no Cell Phone signalk where Your At.

And Of Course--it's Snowing Or Raining(pick One)

Could You Build A Shelter To Keep Yourself Alive In Until Morning??

What Would Your "pocket Tool" Be Used For ???

Could You Get A Fire Started???

Could You Keep It Going Long Enough To Keep You Alive Until Daylight???

Even If You Had The 3 "perfect" Knives/tools---could You Use Them To Save Your Life In This Situation???

What Would "you" Do First(after Cursing Like A Madman That Someone Stold Your Car/truck)

What Would You Do First....???????

-your Car Is Gone---stolen.(you Find This Out 1 Hour Before Sunset)--no Cell Phone signalk where Your At.

I'll assume it's snowing since that's the weather I'm currently dealing with here.

Stranded at some woods an hour before sunset with snow coming down, some wind and temps in the teens to twenties. This is nearly the same scenario I was in yesterday, except I wasn't stranded and we had half as much time till sunset.

First thing to do would be locate a thick piece of seasoned wood and start splitting it apart then breaking it down to smaller pieces using the Khukuri. At a sheltered location, I'd lay down some wide, flat splits to protect the base from damp ground. I'd make the base, carve some shavings and make small pieces to teepee around the tinder using the puukko. Once the fire was going I'd make sure I had plenty of spare wood on hand, give the fire a good amount to burn through then go search for supplies to build a shelter. Any trees with greens still on the branches that could be layered on top of a shelter, large pieces of bark for shingling and fire reflectors etc. I'd spend the next hour or so building a shelter and tending the fire. Here the Khukuri would be used primarily to chop apart branches to construct a frame, cut off bark and gather other debri for layering.

After making the shelter satisfactory, I'd go get all the wood ready that the fire would need for the next 24 hours. I might also look around for animals that would be possible to hunt or consider setting traps, but this would be a much lower priority than fire and shelter given the short timeframe of the scenario. Water could be acquired by melting snow. Some walking sticks, spears etc could be crafted for weapons for protection against animals and any thieves that might still be out there.

Katz folder, Spyderco Police, and my fixed blade for light chopping chores. I might want to trade the Spyderco for one of my skinning fixed blades.

What do I bring?

14 inch Tramontina machete: brutal tasks, digging, clearing trail, etc.

BK-7 kit knife: on the belt for emergencies, PSK, cutting vines, building shelters. Holds enough of the right stuff that I could make a pretty decent camp with this knife alone.

NRGS neck knife: around the neck, all small fixed blade tasks, has a great point for drilling bamboo.

Sometimes the neck knife gets augmented/replaced by a Mora 2000 or SWAK or Triflex Craftsman or a #1. Mac

Ok---all Excellent Answers-----some Much Different Than Others.

Even If You Had The 3 "perfect" Knives/tools---could You Use Them To Save Your Life In This Situation???
What Would "you" Do First(after Cursing Like A Madman That Someone Stold Your Car/truck)

What Would You Do First....???????

:eek: Thread SHIFT! :eek: Clutch, Brake, Brake, Gear Down, Cut the Wheel Hard....skid. ERK!

Wow, ok, I don't have my PSK? Normally I would, because I keep it in my car with my knife. OK, I don't.
-It's raining, so it's above 32°F.

FIRST? Get out of the rain. Find a large tree, and get on the LeeWard side before getting soaked. Now, Deep breath. relax. Think about it for a minute.

If I am where my car was stolen, then I am near a road? No?
Best to get to the road, where a passing car my come by.
If builing a shelter, build it next to the road.

Pile debris in the road, so that any vehicle will have to slow down, giving you time to wave them down. Some long branches , should do it.

Then, build a shelter. before sunset gather all materials.
Don't want to be foraging after dark. I am assuming we don't even have a flashlight?

You know, this should really be a different thread.

Is Sasquatch in the area??

To the *what 3 knives*

Since an axe isn't a knife, I would replace my Wetterling with a Becker BK-7 and add the Mora 2000 and a lockblade SAK.

As to what tool I would have on me in the second scenario.

1744.jpg

Back