What about a Micarta Monday? Traditional knives only, please!

26496860652_3e4e04c3f7_h.jpg

This was my first micarta knife.
Mike

AG Russell bowie shipped down from AK to make a sheath and saddle horn carry system for:

vin93xY.jpg

Bch7UeW.jpg

eti2djk.jpg

Funny micarta story. Long time ago there use to be a guy around here (he passed away a few years back) that made some pretty good homemade mycarta. I'd get him a bunch of old jeans and he'd make me a lot of denim mycarta which I would call Wranglercarta. As you can imagine in my cowboy world that was a pretty good selling handle material. One time just before Thanksgiving he calls and says: Hey don't use that last batch I just made you. I used the wrong resin and its no good, junk it. So its Thanksgiving day. One of my brothers and his family is up and while the girls are cooking, my brother and I decide to go out to the ranch, kill some time and see if mycarta is a s bullet proof as they say it is:

jhjLV4c.jpg

YlHIw4Q.jpg

YsvKQKv.jpg

We found out it isn't! However, did learn that a 3/8" slab will stop a .22 nor did the birdshot penetrate. Everything else did. Course, and here's the funny part, the mycarta maker calls the next day and says: Hey mix up here in the shop. I did give you the good batch, I've got the bad batch, go ahead and use the batch you've got. Too late, done shot it all up.

Back