What are some of the things you’ve learned from Blade Forums?

I'm 70 years old & I've been carrying a knife every day since I was a little kid. What I've learned here was how to make informed decisions regarding blade steels, handle materials, locks, etc. But mostly I've learned that just because I don't need a new Inkosi, GEC Barlow, Spyderco dealer exclusive, or Fiddleback Forge custom, etc doesn't mean that I shouldn't have them.

The best steel in the world is useless with a bad heat treat.

The best steel in the world won't overcome a bad design.

The best steel in the world will not survive improper use.

I don't need the best steel in the world for 99.9% of my daily cutting tasks.

20 years here at Bladeforums to learn that 1095 is just fine for me.
Before BF, I wasn't really aware that HT makes much difference. I knew makers heated the steel, but I didn't realize it is almost a science unto itself.

I grew up with slip joints and always had an attraction to them. But BF introduced me to the modern knives without actually looking at them in stores or shows for great periods of time. I just don't care to spend a lot of time in stores "looking". I had traditional slip joints when I joined and probably a couple inexpensive modern's (probably Gerber) Gerber was okay back then. The moderns were purchased in big box stores mostly.

I have come to be very comfortable not having the latest and greatest or what some folks consider such. I also learned that I am very comfortable with 1095. I have gotten comfortable even with well made 440A and 420HC slip joints. I like knives that cut and I don't mind sharpening a knife!

I may never have purchased a GEC made slip joint (due to cost) without the overwhelming support for that company's products in the porch. Now I have a small pile of them and most are un-needed. That's just fine with me. I like knives. Frankly, I carry a SAK so much and have for 30+ years or so that I really don't need anything else for day to day stuff and to be comfortable with this personally. I learned that there are a lot of Vic lovers here at BF and to be comfortable with liking them or liking an inexpensive knife. What other people say matters even though I try not to be influenced as much as I used to be.

I learned that there are a lot of people that share my enthusiasm for knives.
I learned that Buck 110's (or the many similar knives like made by Schrade) are cool.

I came to BF with an Ontario pilot’s knife, a Buck 112, an Imperial slip joint and a Nortons 2 sided oilstone. 17 years and a hundred knives later I’ve come to realize I was doing pretty good after all. I’ve also learned BF is a great on line community, exceptional in many ways actually, and it’s been to my great benefit to have been a part of it.

As a younger person, I felt fixed bladed knives were un-necessary for my needs... folks say you need a fixed blade for hunting chores or skinning due to ease of cleaning and general added strength. I used folders. Never broke one. Cleaned them just fine. I gradually warmed to the idea of using fixed blades in the woods and for hunting applications. But frankly, in most cases I have learned that they aren't necessary for me. That's coming from a person who just bought two new fixed blades in the last week. I was probably 35 years old before I purchased my first fixed blade.

BladeForums has helped me to organize (prioritize?) my knife obsession.
Learning the attributes and shortcomings of blade steels, grinds, handle materials and contouring etc., has helped me better understand what I prefer in a knife.

I learned that there is no crowd, even an international crowd (? an interplanetary crowd ?) . . . that I can't make go totally quiet from consternation. It's like my super power. It first reared it's head in junior high . . . that I recall.

. . . : "What ? What did I say ? . . . ? . . . ? . . . Don't look at me like that.

That and I finally got convinced that there are harder blade materials than ceramic. Specifically Vanadium Carbide. Thank you to all who did not give up the battle to teach me that.

I am in debt to Blade Forums for leading me to the blade material of my wildest dreams : M4

Blade Forums people finally taught me there is actually a use for "Slurry" or free rolling abrasive for conditioning a stone. I could not even conceive of a use for that before; just seemed like it slowed edge abrading efficiency which is does but it sharpens up the abrasive in the surface of the stone (conditions it) so it is worth doing some what.

I'm sure there are many other things I could easily list but I don't want to earn yet another "TLTR" badge; the trophy room is getting a bit . . . busy looking.

What I learned?
I went from thinking of mtech knives we're cool to dreaming of getting more high end knives, shirogorov, hinder xm 18, para 2 Rex 45 burnt orange scales, this forum legit taught me so much more than i could write about

Frustration, anxiety, stress over a decision.....now that I’ve covered the For Sale section....

Seriously, I have learned everything I know about knives to these forums. Don’t recall how I found the place. I’m gonna blame Google.

I found BF researching knives-especially the Sebenza. What I have learned is that I can find out just about anything to do with knives that pops into my head. By either using the internal search function or Google (and coming in the back door) there is almost always an answer to my ?'s somewhere in the these threads.

I had a smallish knife collection... I was looking for older Gerber knives... stumbled upon Blade Forums... and learned a lot!
I learned
a) that my infatuation with tacti-cool knives was pathetic
b) keep the box if you ever want to sell your knife...
c) there is a lot of good information hidden by abbreviations (it took me a while to figure out the meaning of 'EDC' and 'SMH' etc
d) that just because a knife is'super popular' that I am going to like it
e) a knife is worth what someone is willing to pay for it...

some of these I am still trying to get through my thick skull...

In my search for better knives, B/F has informed me of new designs, new materials, and new products. There is also information about maintenance, modifications, and makers. I can buy and sell hard to find stuff. There is a lot of historical information as well as great stories. The ability to get specific answers to questions and see relevant photos is frosting on the cake.
I am even given heads ups on future releases. It’s a great place to discuss one of my favorite subjects “sharp things”.

Ted, you're a great person and I appreciate all of your contributions.
Just a picture which I hope is in tune :
qiQgTDl.jpg

Without the great people on Blade Forums I would probably never gone so much over board...

Last edited:
Back