What are the models available?

I have someone visiting WI for a week and would like to take this opportunity to pickup a knife or two in some super steel.

I was thinking zdp189, CPM S90V and an m4. Please recommend if there are better steels. I prefer a thin profile and have good wear resistance that basically can slice and slice.

I have not decided on the design but definately no serrations. If it possible, please let me know where is a good place to buy. Response and delivery speed is important.

Would also like to add that no wood, titanium, carbon fiber, aluminium. I prefer g10, micarta, etc that have reasonably good grip, and needs little maintence.

ZDP 189 has best wear resistance among those steels, i have tested, ZDP 189 has no problems to non stop cutting 100 slices of hemp rope, 200 slices of card board, 200 slices of dry wood

spyderco makes various of ZDP 189 steel knives with really good price, just go to nearest dealer to have look

The only knife in S90V you will come across available new is the Southfork which is a 5" fixed blade. The only knives in M4 are the two Bradleys. The big one is a very nice solid heavy work knife. The little one (Air) is a small light gents folder. There are several ZDP-189 versions. Stretch, Delica, Endura, Dragonfly, Ladybug/Manbug, and Caly 3/3.5 are the current offerings. I would go with a Stretch or Caly 3.5 personally. S90V has the best wear resistance, then M4, then ZDP-189. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...based-on-Edge-Retention-cutting-5-8-quot-rope M4 is the toughest though, and imo a great compromise (hardly a compromise really) between toughness and edge retention. Ultimately, I would recomend the Gayle Bradley so long as you don't mind a slightly larger knife with a bit of heft to it. For slicing and slicing, the Stretch in ZDP-189 is hard to beat no matter what knife from any maker you might put it against. The Stretch is FRN which I like, and the GB is carbon fiber, but textured and I personally like a lot. ZDP-189 is a bit tricky to sharpen for some, S90V is very hard, and thus takes a lot of time to sharpen, and M4 has a reputation of being fairly easy to get scary sharp.

Another steel to consider would be M390, however you won't find any Spyderco with that steel new or readily available.

Try one of the Caly 3 superblue models that have been released if you can find one.I am pretty sure that this knife and steel can slice.I think if you look around the online auctions you can still grab one..Best of luck.....

For a good user, don't overlook a Delica in the humble FRN scale material. It's a pedestrian model, mostly utilitarian with no frills, but the ZDP-189 is a wonderful steel for slicing. I like the size of the Delica and it has a nice solid feel, heft (SS liners) and is a great EDC knife for work. Here's mine with a polished edge. I've found buying from that river in Brazil is a good place for prices & shipping. tim

1micron.jpg

I second the Delica, Endura, or Stretch in ZDP-189. I prefer the discontinued ZDP Stretch with peel ply carbon fiber handles.

where can it be had for 50?

he was saying the scales are 50 bucks I think. the knife is closer to one hundred new.

ZDP 189 has best wear resistance among those steels, i have tested, ZDP 189 has no problems to non stop cutting 100 slices of hemp rope, 200 slices of card board, 200 slices of dry wood

um, s90v should smoke zdp in wear resistance. CPM M4 should be in ZDP's ballpark if not a bit better from everything I've read, and it's tougher to boot.

I bought my "New" ZDP delica from that river in Brazil and it came in a smashed, opened box (the spyderco box, not the mailing box). No signs of use on the blade, but it had obviously been opened before. :mad:

Back