What are the most collectible Spydercos?

I am fairly new to Spyderco knives and have seen some posts about rare issues, such as the Matriarch. However, I wonder what you Spyderco collectors would consider as the top 5 or so most desired and collectible ones.

Dave

Howdy. Do a search in the archived section and you'll come across some of this info...in the meantime, my vote goes to:
- plainedge G10 Civilian (c'mon someone, sell me one)
- PIG Police
- other Police variations - Ti, Tuffram, Blanchard, Yellowhorse.
- plainedge older Civilians
- Lums

Hi!
The C-15 (first Terzuola collaboration) plain-edge, aluminium scales and cutout on the clip-side has certainly to be on that list!
Greetings
red

...and well worth chasing after IMO
smile.gif

Oooops, I realise I haven't answered the question, only listed the rarer beasts. I guess collectable is whatever makes you happy and surely the C22 and C27 have to be on that list.

[This message has been edited by Ferret (edited 05-12-2000).]

Ferret, there WAS a G-10 plain-edge Civilian!???!!!! Holy crap!!! I've never heard of this variation! Now you've got me wondering!

------------------
Life Member NRA & PMA, member AKTI, NKCA, ATA, and any other worthy cause I can find.

Thanks to all who responded. The responses were not exactly overwhelming, which leads me to believe that Spyderco knives are users rather than collectibles.

Yup, unless the photo that was posted at (I think) Discount Knives some time ago was cunningly doctored. I've been lusting after one ever since to keep my p/e older version company. I posted in WTB recently w/o success
frown.gif
so the hunt continues...

David - When we began making Clipits in 1981, our attitude was, "Regardless of how many knives you own, We build the Spyderco Clipit to be the one you carry (wear?)".

We've built very few actual "collectables".

I guess the most "collectable" would be;

Older versions no longer available.
eg: Original "2 screws for the Clip" Worker model, Titanium handle Police, etc.

Limited quantity pieces.
eg: Bob Lum Tanto

Prototypes

sal

[This message has been edited by Sal Glesser (edited 05-14-2000).]

My attention has been grabbed by this plain-edge g-10 civvie issue! How 'bout it, Sal?? Was this a production model or prototype??
Brian

------------------
Life Member NRA & PMA, member AKTI, NKCA, ATA, and any other worthy cause I can find.

I had to take the Ti version police off my best friend's pants to get it!!

I gave him a new G-10 police for it and he loved it.

But it's only because he is such a good friend....

Hawkbill - To my recollection, we never made one...not even a prototype. We had serrated blades, we were just changing the handle.

Could be an aftermarket regrind? Pretty tough to do "right"

sal

The photo I saw didn't look like a regrind or a bladeswap with an earlier plainedge - even if the swap was possible, the steel was listed as ATS.
This might go some way towards explaining why it was going for $300
eek.gif

I'll bet that
smile.gif
Titanium Calypso
smile.gif
will be one of most desirable collectible spydie.

AG- I'm not sure how many were made, but, I have s/n 884, and I got Bob to sign the box for me.
Lance

Sal, I did see a plain edge old style Civilian when I was in Japan. I held it and thought I liked my serrated one much better. I have never seen a plain edge G-10 however.

It was Knives Express that had it (G10 Civvy)listed but I see that they no longer even have what used to be called a "collectable Sydercos" section. I burnt my bridges with this dude some time ago, so someone else may wish to follow this tenuous lead thru him...

Back