What are the worst quality knives you had priviledge to experience?

I have some nameless Chinese knives that have been terrible one I recall was a lockback where when closed the blade could flop up and down exposing enough of the blade to be dangerous.

On a note about Buck I haven't seen an issue with any Buck I have ever owned it doesn't mean that can't have problems but I do think your experience is outside the norm.

I have some nameless Chinese knives that have been terrible one I recall was a lockback where when closed the blade could flop up and down exposing enough of the blade to be dangerous.

On a note about Buck I haven't seen an issue with any Buck I have ever owned it doesn't mean that can't have problems but I do think your experience is outside the norm.

Outside the norm? Heh, nah, every inexpensive Buck I ever bought had issues. They were all given away, and after a certain point, I stopped buying them to gift to non-knife people due to every one having issues of some kind. The last year I was a Scout Leader, I simply gave my boys Ontario 2s instead and called it good. Every one, better than any Buck I've ever owned (sadly). Man, I've bought at least four Spitfires in my life, every single one with lock-rock. Oh man, I remember my Vantage Force Pro that came direct from Buck with a warped blade. I sent it right back, and they sent me another one, where the liner lock was already at 100% lockup...brand new.

I have a couple of 110s, one with blade play (that came with it new) and one without. The one without is a Custom job with a blade in 52100. THAT knife is flawless, but then, for the like $120 or whatever it was I paid, it damn well better be.

I don't recommend Bucks to people if I can help it.

Outside the norm? Heh, nah, every inexpensive Buck I ever bought had issues. They were all given away, and after a certain point, I stopped buying them to gift to non-knife people due to every one having issues of some kind. The last year I was a Scout Leader, I simply gave my boys Ontario 2s instead and called it good. Every one, better than any Buck I've ever owned (sadly). Man, I've bought at least four Spitfires in my life, every single one with lock-rock. Oh man, I remember my Vantage Force Pro that came direct from Buck with a warped blade. I sent it right back, and they sent me another one, where the liner lock was already at 100% lockup...brand new.

I have a couple of 110s, one with blade play (that came with it new) and one without. The one without is a Custom job with a blade in 52100. THAT knife is flawless, but then, for the like $120 or whatever it was I paid, it damn well better be.

This is pretty much my exact same experience with Buck knives. I want to like them but my past experiences won’t let me.

For the money a knife cost, nothing has dissappointed me more than handling a sebenza. Boring design, only felt ok in hand and tons of friction in the action. Boo. At least it has great tolerances from what i am told, but all my hands could feel were the flaws that my $200 knives dont have. Then i have to sit there and tell my friends how cool their sebenzas are cuz I didnt want to hurt their feelings.

When I became a life member of the NRA, they sent a Bowie that was spectacularly terrible. Out of the box, the painted gold guard was completely loose, no sheath or placard with mine, cheap plastic handle, and the blade itself I'm pretty sure is made from recycled Chinese newspapers spray painted silver. I am actually excited to take some pics for you guys or videos of how terrible it is. It made me want to become a Democrat. Here's a preview of the horrors to come...

View attachment 1250460

HERE'S THE LINK for a video...
Let me know if it works. I don't post a lot of videos
Life member NRA gift GARBAGE

https://imgur.com/gallery/rBeHTsT

Last time I bought a good Buck was the late 80's. Bought a few 112's to gift & carried one. Today those exact knives are still in use (one has almost no blade left thanks to paw-paw & his love of keeping a razors edge). I have never had a problem w/ the fixed blades either. Of course if you're doing a fixed blade wrong...you're just plain sad. With that being said, I did buy a Vantage a few years ago & it was a pretty good disappointment. With "the millions!"...(I'm the only who gets that joke? *sigh*) of good quality knives & hundreds of good brands...Buck would not be my list of recommended folders, unless it's a 112 from the late 80's. ;):thumbsup:

If I had more money and time I'd probs buy crappy knives on purpose and make youtube video reviews of how crappy they are :D

You will need plenty of money because there are a ton of really expensive knives that can't cut things.

You seem to be pretty new to knives, or new to being "into" them. Sounds like you have a Cold Steel and are looking to expand.

The best way to learn about knives, in my opinion, is to forget about going on and on about the "usual suspects" junk knives and focus your thoughts and efforts on finding inexpensive knives that you think are good and perform the tasks you want a knife to perform well.

That's far more constructive for someone trying to expand their knife knowledge base. (We are all trying to do that!)

But really, is design a quality issue? If it is, it's one easily avoided.
:) Exactly !

Also , buying a fork when you needed a spoon doesn't make the fork poor quality . You just made an unwise choice ! :(

Cold Steel for example , generally provides very good performance for the money . Tri-ad locks sometimes do have some serious lock sticking issues but these resolve with use . Maybe a QC problem , but great knives once broken in . :cool::thumbsup:

Tops Mil Spie

Hands down the biggest piece of junk I've handled for $120 in my life. I was ashamed it was made in the USA. No washers, runs on coated titanium. Tons of blade play. JUNK!

Not so many knives as enthusiastically bought "swords" in my teenage years. Between them enough Chinese metal to build a car. This was in the pre-internet days where even finding a sword was like finding a wad of cash on the ground- it didn't happen much. Then I discovered the BudK/Cheaper than Dirt/etc line of catalogs which made it worse. Most of those have been sold at yard sales or gifted away to somebody that gushed over them when they saw it collecting dust in the garage.
I owned a few Frosts when Frosts were actually decent. Never had a problem with a Buck either, but I probably had enough Pakistan steel in the late 80's to set up my own flea market stall.

You will need plenty of money because there are a ton of really expensive knives that can't cut things.

You seem to be pretty new to knives, or new to being "into" them. Sounds like you have a Cold Steel and are looking to expand.

The best way to learn about knives, in my opinion, is to forget about going on and on about the "usual suspects" junk knives and focus your thoughts and efforts on finding inexpensive knives that you think are good and perform the tasks you want a knife to perform well.

That's far more constructive for someone trying to expand their knife knowledge base. (We are all trying to do that!)
Well I am new to this.

My first purchase turning out well was pure luck as I had 0 knowledge at that time. But Recon Tanto is a good knife.
My second (also last) purchase turned out to be awesome. Drop Forged Hunter is built like a tank and performs excellent.

But I'm not actually looking for expanding collection. I will buy 1 more knife at best. And that's it for me.

I'm sorry, are you attempting to censor this new member from talking about what he wants to talk about (and following the topic of this thread)? I just want to be sure I'm understanding your point.

Last edited:
Well I am new to this.

My first purchase turning out well was pure luck as I had 0 knowledge at that time. But Recon Tanto is a good knife.
My second (also last) purchase turned out to be awesome. Drop Forged Hunter is built like a tank and performs excellent.

But I'm not actually looking for expanding collection. I will buy 1 more knife at best. And that's it for me.

Don't worry, you're free to completely disregard M marcinek 's advice. He doesn't know that much about knives himself, so he tends to stick to the more "off-topic" discussion areas. You're fine, and staying on topic is a plus. Cold Steel makes a pretty good, durable knife so I'd say you're well on your way.

Wow.....so sad that a classic American brand like Buck has apparently gone down the crapper...

Don't worry, you're free to completely disregard M marcinek 's advice. He doesn't know that much about knives himself, so he tends to stick to the more "off-topic" discussion areas. You're fine, and staying on topic is a plus. Cold Steel makes a pretty good, durable knife so I'd say you're well on your way.
Thank you.

First Cold Steel I got was kinda an eye opener of what knives should be after all that junk I previously had. And my experience with Cold Steel is positive.

It also made me start to learn more about the knives. It's interesting to learn for sure. And knowledge can never hurt. But yes, some people misunderstand and think I'm collecting. I'm not collector, I only buy knives when I need them, and I use the knives I have (only 2 currently LOL).

I just think knives are fun, and there is lots about to learn about them, therefore I made this topic for people to share their stories, so we can have a laugh too.
I appreciate you staying on topic :)

Back