What are these knives from Hoffman-Richter?

ACP

Well, after 2+ years, I finally posted on this board.

My brother asked me about Hoffman-Richter knives. Specifically the Hoffman-Richter Wolf, that claims a full tang 440c with titanium coating.

He tried posting his questions on another board without much success.

I don't know anything about the manufacturer, much less the particular knife, save the minimal amount about such online.

Then I saw this gif about the H-R Wolf:
WolfTree.gif

I have to admit that I've never seen a torture test of such done upon any blade.

Does anybody have any first hand experience or knowledge with this manufacturer's products?

I don't know anything about that brand. But about that vid clip, I would guess that you could take a $3 knife and do the same thing. Hammer it in, then position weight right up against the tree. At that point you are not showing lock strength, but rather sheer strength at that point of the blade. Pretty much ANY knife has blade sheer strength to overcome body weight.

Plus, if a company has to resort to that type of marketing, chances are they cannot compete in any traditional sense.

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

Okay. Would you please expound upon that.

Sure, they are priced about with mtech and the other mall ninja brands. The company used to claim they were made in texas, that is no longer on their website, there are multiple reviews found online if you can operate google. They are likely made from Chinese alphabet scap metal, that said I've never found 440 I was remotely happy with edge retention. Those are what I base my opinion on.

Always a bad sign when a knife company cant spell the name of their own knife model correctly on their website.

Unbreakable

Introducing the world’s first unbreakable knife
Exclusive, unbreakable 5.5mm Thick Tactical blade from Hoffman Richter
300lb cord tie loop/glass breaker
Titanium coating stainless steel
Straight edge, drop point blade
4 inch blade
You can’t break it... But I dare you to try
Whether you’re a trucker, ranch hand, ex military or an elite member of a SWAT team the Wolf is designed to fit every need..
Anything you need it to do… it will do it without fall!

This knife is made of a 5.5mm thick piece of the best 440C stainless steel on the market and the ultra tough titanium coating guarantees that the Wolf will last a lifetime...

Not only can you use it everyday, out in the field and for any camping or survival need, but if is also the perfect glad for self defense. Keep it at your side and at the ready and it will stop any attacker dead in his tracks… Instantly. Looks, there are literally Thousands of choices when it comes to knives… but when it comes to a tools that you trust with your life...

"Just Another Knife… Just Won’t Cut It"

You need a blade you can depend on.
You need a Hoffman Richter...
And the Wold will never let you down

Like others have said, the videos are meaningless, you can do that stuff with near any outdoors knife. You can tell from the marketing that the knife's a money grab aimed at uneducated consumers. Generic and rough design, advertised as unbreakable (nothing's unbreakable,) good at everything (nope,) a valid choice for a weapon (yeah right,) e.t.c. That doesn't mean it's total crap though.

The knife isn't unbreakable but anything that's 5.5mm thick will be fairly tough, though also heavy and not as good at cutting as a thinner blade. The glass breaker looks like it would irritate your hand during use and also doesn't look sharp (or well placed) enough to be effective at breaking glass. The choil seems shallow to the point of being unsafe. If you can manage to stay off the glass breaker and don't use the choil the handle would be alright. The titanium coating's just there to sound cool in the marketing materials, it's not necessary on a stainless blade but doesn't hurt anything either. If the steel really is 440C then that's good for the price if it's heat treated decently. The sheath is basic but looks usable.

Honestly, if the steel and build quality are there (and it's impossible to say if they are without using it) you could probably do worse for $40. I would go with a Svord or Condor though, their designs are much more practical.

Last edited:
This one annoys me...

a1yzljlkrhl._sl1500_.jpg

How the hell does one manage to rip off the styles of both Todd Begg AND Brian Tighe while still making a fugly knife?

Don't believe I'll be buying anything from them.

Always a bad sign when a knife company cant spell the name of their own knife model correctly on their website.

Unbreakable

Introducing the world’s first unbreakable knife
Exclusive, unbreakable 5.5mm Thick Tactical blade from Hoffman Richter
300lb cord tie loop/glass breaker
Titanium coating stainless steel
Straight edge, drop point blade
4 inch blade
You can’t break it... But I dare you to try
Whether you’re a trucker, ranch hand, ex military or an elite member of a SWAT team the Wolf is designed to fit every need..
Anything you need it to do… it will do it without fall!

This knife is made of a 5.5mm thick piece of the best 440C stainless steel on the market and the ultra tough titanium coating guarantees that the Wolf will last a lifetime...

Not only can you use it everyday, out in the field and for any camping or survival need, but if is also the perfect glad for self defense. Keep it at your side and at the ready and it will stop any attacker dead in his tracks… Instantly. Looks, there are literally Thousands of choices when it comes to knives… but when it comes to a tools that you trust with your life...

"Just Another Knife… Just Won’t Cut It"

You need a blade you can depend on.
You need a Hoffman Richter...
And the Wold will never let you down

LOL, very nice. That whole thing is full of errors.

I kind of want to get one now. Just to see how quickly I can break it.

This one annoys me...

How the hell does one manage to rip off the styles of both Todd Begg AND Brian Tighe while still making a fugly knife?

Don't believe I'll be buying anything from them.
That design feature with the holed fuller certainly looks much like a Begg.

But then their Mini Multi Tool looks like a Leatherman and their HR-30 Tactical Folding Knife looks like the handle was lifted straight from a GTC.

Thank you for the responses.

These comments have my curiosity raised about this particular knife, so I've ordered one at a $10 discount to put it through a torture test.

I have some ideas of what to do, but does anyone else have any suggestions of the paces I should put it through?

These comments have my curiosity raised about this particular knife, so I've ordered one at a $10 discount to put it through a torture test.

I have some ideas of what to do, but does anyone else have any suggestions of the paces I should put it through?

Fire.

The comments seriously raised your curiosity? What would it take to lower your curiosity?

And I would advise not doing a torture test, it'd be pointless. Pretty much anything 5.5mm thick will be tough enough for hard use. Do a rope cut test to determine edge holding ability, go to a junkyard and find out if the glass breaker works, and see if you can use the choil without cutting yourself. Those are more relevant questions.

Spine whacking.

What would it take to lower your curiosity?

If there were a couple of people who could have brought something something more substantive to the table, that would have.

As it stands now: Everyone lacks experience with the product, but everyone has an educated opinion about it.

So its time to use the scientific method, with pictures.

The comments seriously raised your curiosity? What would it take to lower your curiosity?

And I would advise not doing a torture test, it'd be pointless. Pretty much anything 5.5mm thick will be tough enough for hard use. Do a rope cut test to determine edge holding ability, go to a junkyard and find out if the glass breaker works, and see if you can use the choil without cutting yourself. Those are more relevant questions.

OP has 4 posts, all here... Perhaps we're dealing with the manufacturer.

Just in case:

I'm not interested in your "knives" and please, if indeed you are in Texas, stop listing your location. I like it here.

Make a quality, original product that's up to the competition and we'll revisit the issue.

Back