What are we going to do?

It seems like the whole world is on fire today. I should have stayed in bed.
How can we find a lasting, free peace without killing countless people?
Cartoons, burning embassies, missiles, nukes, the world is not as modern as it looks on TV, is it?

I think its going to get worse. Iran has/wants nukes; Germany now wants nukes; everybody wants nukes. Muslims go ballistic over cartoons of muhammed. The USA is shipping jobs overseas like crazy and we're overrun by illegal aliens. Everybody wants their entitlements. Our schools are dumbed down and children brainwashed into little drones. Sometimes the darkest parts of my mind thinks that SHTF and TEOTWAKI isn't such a bad thing. Maybe it would give us a chance to start over. No, I don't want to see death, anarchy and destruction but think that terrible things are coming. Time will tell but I don't see things getting all rosy and better.

Ice

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence." Some people will always try shooting their neighbour to see if his house has better goodies.

On another forum I lounge about in, one of the guys said he felt like he'd gone to sleep in the 20th century, but awoken in the 14th. When most of the wars had more to do with religion than national interests ...

As some others have said, I feel like we're all Danes today.

The clashing of Cultures is a hard thing to witness . It is a difficult thing for an atheist or even some of different faiths to understand the signifigance of the physical representation of certain prophets . To some what might be considered a political cartoon others might see as blasphemy .
I personally couldn,t care less what someone else thinks about my personal beliefs . It is hard to witness people who want to cut off peoples heads because they do not share the same faith .

Personaly I cant blame Iran for wanting nukes (any more then I blame anyone for wanting/having them, which is quite a bit). They are confronted with a nuclear armed isreal, their avowed enemy. Tragic and potential deadly, but understandable. I cant understand why isreal wanted nukes in the first place, in the regional theater they had everyone else combinded outgunned, why get into the potential mutual destruction of a nuclear standoff when you can win a conventional war easily? Same as India and pakistan, some of you military types might be able to explain it to me, why does the country that would win anyways want to open the nuclear pandoras box?
Gord

Thinking back, the US had riots and building burned in the 60's because of both race and Vietnam opposition (well, somewhat; there might be a case made that some of those guys wanted a general revolution).

Anyway, we got past that. I don't think we've had any more riots since then. OK, the Rodney King verdict. And a couple of sports victories. And the Boston busing riots.

But anyway. How to respond? We did not have apocalyptic retaliation after the above US disturbances (e.g. rounding up all hippies or blacks and sending them to prison camps). Why did they stop? I dunno. Perhaps the rioters got tired out and had to get back to work. Perhaps they did there thing and were done. Perhaps authorities figured out how to put a lid on leaders / inciters.

I think this sort of stuff happens when people think that not only are they not part of the system, but the system is screwing them over. And then add some sort of other spark.

Grob said:
Personaly I cant blame Iran for wanting nukes (any more then I blame anyone for wanting/having them, which is quite a bit). They are confronted with a nuclear armed isreal, their avowed enemy. Tragic and potential deadly, but understandable. I cant understand why isreal wanted nukes in the first place, in the regional theater they had everyone else combinded outgunned, why get into the potential mutual destruction of a nuclear standoff when you can win a conventional war easily? Same as India and pakistan, some of you military types might be able to explain it to me, why does the country that would win anyways want to open the nuclear pandoras box?
Gord

After the US invades Iraq who didn't have nuclear arms, but passes on N.Korea who did, I can totally see why any country like Iran, Syria, etc would want them. It would prevent a US invasion.

Also looking at the Iraq example, saying a country decided they really didn't need them, but the US "thought" they had them. They would not be able to convince the US they didn't - even if they let UN inspectors into the country and those inspectors didn't find anything. So really from those countries perspective getting them and proving you have them will contribute more to them NOT getting invaded than not getting them.

DannyinJapan said:
It seems like the whole world is on fire today. I should have stayed in bed.
How can we find a lasting, free peace without killing countless people?

Hi Danny:

Humans are not inclined to a lasting, free peace. Someone or country will always want what another has. Jealousy, greed, rivalry, envy, politics, religion. It goes on and on.

I made a very good living off what people do to each other for 20 years. There will never be worldwide peace. I can't change human nature and frankly I don't care anymore.

Thanks, Steve

Same thing that has been going on for years, we just have different weapons, and we hear more about it due to CNN, FOX, MSNBC etc.

As the worlds only superpower it is necessary that we be respected for more than our military might. Afghanistan was justified, but Iraq? We've committed all our silver bullets and now have Iran and N. Korea coming over the horizon. It will take a long, long time to recover. But I think it can be done.

Back in the 1960's Tom Lehrer wrote the following:

(Intro) "One of the big news items of the past year concerned the fact that China, which we called "Red China," exploded a nuclear bomb, which we called a device. Then Indonesia announced that it was going to have one soon, and proliferation became the word of the day. Here's a song about that:

(Song)
"First we got the bomb, and that was good,
'Cause we love peace and motherhood.
Then Russia got the bomb, but that's okay,
'Cause the balance of power's maintained that way.
Who's next?

"France got the bomb, but don't you grieve,
'Cause they're on our side (I believe).
China got the bomb, but have no fears,
They can't wipe us out for at least five years.
Who's next?

"Then Indonesia claimed that they
Were gonna get one any day.
South Africa wants two, that's right:
One for the black and one for the white.
Who's next?

"Egypt's gonna get one too,
Just to use on you know who.
So Israel's getting tense.
Wants one in self defense.
"The Lord's our shepherd," says the psalm,
But just in case, we better get a bomb.
Who's next?

"Luxembourg is next to go,
And (who knows?) maybe Monaco.
We'll try to stay serene and calm
When Alabama gets the bomb.