What are you missing?

Despite the fact that fixed blades bore me and I have no real use for one currently, I still occasionally think about getting a small edc one to have just in case I might need it. If I need a camp knife I have a Becker BK5. I haven't camped etc in 8 years. I know if I buy a small fixed blade it will end up in a drawer, forgotten about.

I never really need an excuse yo buy another folder, though justifying to myself spending over $200 has gotten tough.
Take a look at the guardian 3. I used to be a folder guy only but this little 3 inch blade with an unobtrusive handle makes it onto my belt more often than not when I bother to wear a belt in this heat.

This right here. I used to buy a knives for specific, niche purposes, but I started enjoying the hobby much more when I just faced the fact that buying knives had nothing to do with practicality and was something that I did just because I enjoyed it. That gave me the freedom to buy the knives I wanted rather than the knives that I identified some obscure 'need' for which, in turn, has significantly increased my enjoyment of the hobby.
Yes to all of this. At some point, you see a knife and start to think "I could use that for XYZ!" but your brain immediately autofills in "Well no, you've got the CRK/Laconico/Olamic/Shiro/etc. for that." Or, "I could see myself carrying this when I'm""Soooorry...Dave. But you already have twenty other knives you would be carrying at that time instead." (red light winks off)

So now, I just buy what I like, no fantasy scenerio or imagination gymnastics needed! :D

I will say however, that my overall rate of purchasing has dropped sharply. It takes something special for me to get my wallet out these days.

Despite the fact that fixed blades bore me and I have no real use for one currently, I still occasionally think about getting a small edc one to have just in case I might need it. If I need a camp knife I have a Becker BK5. I haven't camped etc in 8 years. I know if I buy a small fixed blade it will end up in a drawer, forgotten about.
Exactly. I still have some knives that I've never used and I'm supposed to be the "practical user" guy, in my own mind. I actually talk myself out of a lot of buys, but still bite now and then. I got a Cold Steel large Espada months ago, flicked it open 4-5 times, then into a tub. If I want a new knife to play with, I should just dig through my own heap.

Yes to all of this. At some point, you see a knife and start to think "I could use that for XYZ!" but your brain immediately autofills in "Well no, you've got the CRK/Laconico/Olamic/Shiro/etc. for that." Or, "I could see myself carrying this when I'm""Soooorry...Dave. But you already have twenty other knives you would be carrying at that time instead." (red light winks off)

So now, I just buy what I like, no fantasy scenerio or imagination gymnastics needed! :D

I will say however, that my overall rate of purchasing has dropped sharply. It takes something special for me to get my wallet out these days.
I understand where youā€™re coming from, but on a personal level, if things donā€™t have a purpose they usually donā€™t stay around long.
Of course, there are exceptions šŸ˜‰

Last edited:
Dirac Delta DE with 1 fully serrated edge.

...and I just forgot why I wanted it. But I want it.

Take a look at the guardian 3. I used to be a folder guy only but this little 3 inch blade with an unobtrusive handle makes it onto my belt more often than not when I bother to wear a belt in this heat.

Exactly. I still have some knives that I've never used and I'm supposed to be the "practical user" guy, in my own mind. I actually talk myself out of a lot of buys, but still bite now and then. I got a Cold Steel large Espada months ago, flicked it open 4-5 times, then into a tub. If I want a new knife to play with, I should just dig through my own heap.
I don't wear a belt unless I have to, I hate belts. Therefore, no fixed blade on my belt. Also, fidget factor is huge for me with severe anxiety and adhd. I did have an ESEE Izula at one point, don't ask what happened to it unless you want to cry.

At this point in my collecting, I see so many knives I like but the pocket clip is a deal breaker. So now I look for knives that meet my needs of either having a deepish carry clip or where an aftermarket clip is available. My A Purvis Progeny V2 is excellent, except the position of the clip. The other night I removed the clip screw to see if maybe I could mount the clip in the rear standoff screw area, but after removing the clip screw, the clip still didn't budge. Apparently there is a screw in the liner holding it on as well, which could make things ugly. Ugh. So much of the knife sticks out of the pocket it makes it uncomfortable to pull it out of the pocket.

My TSF Beast has a deep carry clip standard but is mounted wayyyy too far forward. At least that I can have new holes tapped further back on the handle to make the deep carry style functional.

I keep all of my folding knives (for the most part) in a Massdrop display case thingamabobber. However, I have two older knives that get neglected and sit in a drawer--1999 Sog X-Ray Vision mini and an old Aus 8 Cold Steel Recon 1 serrated.

The Recon sits because a clip screw fell out, I'm not a big fan of the Tri-Ad lock (at least this one, which was when it first came out) plus I dislike partial serrations.

I broke the clip on the SOG, and sometime in the late 2000's SOG changed the clip design on that model, and the new clip does not fit, and they stopped making the old one. Its also sharpened to where its no longer really a tanto. If I could somehow get an original clip and screw, I might take the time to learn how/experiment with re-tantoing it. I don't really like tanto's anyway, but I always liked that knife.

As for my next knife purchases, I don't have a PM2 yet, I'd like to pick one of those up, and maybe a Kershaw Bareknuckle. I'm actually looking at getting rid of a few of my old cheap knives that aren't sentimental.

Liner/Framelock Flippers are great and they work, but there are so many of them and I'd like to see something new. I'm more interested in new and interesting designs in a well balanced and usable steel than I am chasing the latest extreme supersteel in what is basically the same old knife.

The more I learn the less I care about what other people think. Cheap or expensive, I earned the money and it's my decision on how to spend it.

I don't wear a belt unless I have to, I hate belts. Therefore, no fixed blade on my belt. Also, fidget factor is huge for me with severe anxiety and adhd. I did have an ESEE Izula at one point, don't ask what happened to it unless you want to cry.

At this point in my collecting, I see so many knives I like but the pocket clip is a deal breaker. So now I look for knives that meet my needs of either having a deepish carry clip or where an aftermarket clip is available. My A Purvis Progeny V2 is excellent, except the position of the clip. The other night I removed the clip screw to see if maybe I could mount the clip in the rear standoff screw area, but after removing the clip screw, the clip still didn't budge. Apparently there is a screw in the liner holding it on as well, which could make things ugly. Ugh. So much of the knife sticks out of the pocket it makes it uncomfortable to pull it out of the pocket.

My TSF Beast has a deep carry clip standard but is mounted wayyyy too far forward. At least that I can have new holes tapped further back on the handle to make the deep carry style functional.

I keep all of my folding knives (for the most part) in a Massdrop display case thingamabobber. However, I have two older knives that get neglected and sit in a drawer--1999 Sog X-Ray Vision mini and an old Aus 8 Cold Steel Recon 1 serrated.

The Recon sits because a clip screw fell out, I'm not a big fan of the Tri-Ad lock (at least this one, which was when it first came out) plus I dislike partial serrations.

I broke the clip on the SOG, and sometime in the late 2000's SOG changed the clip design on that model, and the new clip does not fit, and they stopped making the old one. Its also sharpened to where its no longer really a tanto. If I could somehow get an original clip and screw, I might take the time to learn how/experiment with re-tantoing it. I don't really like tanto's anyway, but I always liked that knife.
I recently found a belt that's actually comfortable, unlike most stiff leather belts, because it's elastic and soft with a very flat buckle, the Arcade Adventure Ranger belt (available in several colors, fits up to 40" waist or so). When I put it on, I hardly notice that it's there. Available on Amazon or at REI.

As for my next knife purchases, I don't have a PM2 yet, I'd like to pick one of those up, and maybe a Kershaw Bareknuckle. I'm actually looking at getting rid of a few of my old cheap knives that aren't sentimental.

Liner/Framelock Flippers are great and they work, but there are so many of them and I'd like to see something new. I'm more interested in new and interesting designs in a well balanced and usable steel than I am chasing the latest extreme supersteel in what is basically the same old knife.

The more I learn the less I care about what other people think. Cheap or expensive, I earned the money and it's my decision on how to spend it.
Everyone needs to try a PM2.
The Bareknuckle is, IMO, one of the best looking Kershaws ever. Very high marks from the majority of owners.

Was missing a cabin/fishing knife. Been making due with a Delica for general chores and fishing up north, but always has my eye on the blade that I hoped was ideal.

Finally found it in stock and itā€™s on the way. Native 5 Salt SE (at least on paper) should be a winner for this use.

Right now I'm trying to decide about fixing and or modifying my TSF Beast. It has a chip in it, near the tip. Its beyond my sharpening ability. I had planned to sell the knife. But now I'm thinking, well what if I got the blade reground thinner and also have clip screw holes tapped further back on the handle.
i've had three or four from builder jim..a great guy to talk to and an excellent product... Who else can build a knife with one hand?
However, by the time you get all that custom work done, you'll have $600 in a knife that's worth about $230 on the Exchange.
give it to a kid and buy something with the specs you want.

Was missing a cabin/fishing knife. Been making due with a Delica for general chores and fishing up north, but always has my eye on the blade that I hoped was ideal.

Finally found it in stock and itā€™s on the way. Native 5 Salt SE (at least on paper) should be a winner for this use.
Should make a great outdoors folder. Congrats.

Back