What Are You Reading?

I just finished The Secret War by Max Hastings which is about the intelligence efforts by both the Allied and Axis forces during WWII. Now I'm reading The Polish Officer by Alan Furst which is about a Polish Intelligence officer during WWII. There might be a theme here...

I just finished The Secret War by Max Hastings which is about the intelligence efforts by both the Allied and Axis forces during WWII. Now I'm reading The Polish Officer by Alan Furst which is about a Polish Intelligence officer during WWII. There might be a theme here...

More good suggestions, thanks!

Jeff

983a50b32d3946b25dd62d1568ff32a1.jpg

My current read for this week I spent about $60 on used books right after Christmas and this was one of them, after this a couple of Marc MacYoung"s books.

We've lost several of our used book stores in the last few years, but I still have half a dozen good ones on my usual circuit. ABE and EBay are good resources too.

Jeff

Trying to get back into reading again, used to be a pretty big reader in my youth but it's gotten away from me so recently picked up Walden & Civil Disobedience by Thoreau but his voice and dialect kind of makes it hard to get into.

I've been taking that book one bite at a time for several months now. Kind of have to read between the lines with stuff like that.

Lately I've been reading different articles on tree diseases for my Forest Health class. Not very exciting.

The most recent book I've read all the way through is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. That is a great read.

Do most of you read paper or have you switched to digital? If you still read paper like I do what do you do with the books after reading? I have a couple shelves of books that I enjoy reading and others that I go back to for reference from time to time. I have hardback copies of many books that I will never part with. Paperback fiction books I tend to pass on to someone who I think will appreciate them.

I actually read a novel / book every couple weeks. Sometimes I work on two at a time. My favorite stuff are action adventures, WW2 history, and history in general if its a topic I find interesting (Kennedy assassination, Samurai culture and history etc.). Right now, I'm reading a Jack Reacher novel and an Ian Flemming Bond novel.

I read paper. I cant get into the digital stuff. I keep them if I like them. I've always wanted a big library. If I don't like them, I donate them to a used book store.

Last edited:
We've lost several of our used book stores in the last few years, but I still have half a dozen good ones on my usual circuit. ABE and EBay are good resources too.

Jeff

I get most of my books from Half Price Books.

Do most of you read paper or have you switched to digital? If you still read paper like I do what do you do with the books after reading? I have a couple shelves of books that I enjoy reading and others that I go back to for reference from time to time. I have hardback copies of many books that I will never part with. Paperback fiction books I tend to pass on to someone who I think will appreciate them.

I read paper, no digital for me, and save them to read again.

If it's a writer that I collect, I search out first edition hardcovers from used stores, etc. If it's anything else, I download from Kindle. The only soft cover books that I have are field guides and the like.

Jeff

The most recent book I've read all the way through is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. That is a great read.

A buddy of mine just loves this one. I should probably give it a go.

Jeff

If it's a writer that I collect, I search out first edition hardcovers from used stores, etc. If it's anything else, I download from Kindle. The only soft cover books that I have are field guides and the like.

Jeff
Most of my books are hardcover, including my autographed copy of Joshua Hood's books. I also collect and read a lot of the older outdoor writers books, including autographed books by Ed Zern and Gene Hill. Most of my outdoor books are from the 1940-1950's. I'm also a Skeeter Skelton (got every book he wrote), and Elmer Keith fan.

Anyone a fan of these guys?

http://www.prestonchild.com/

The Special Agent Pendergast Series is awesome!

Jeff

I've read several; I enjoyed them. I found it interesting that Pendergast always carried a different handgun (which was typically discribed in some detail) in each book.

Most of my reading these days is digital. It's just easier to download one than get to the library. Plus, many "Classics" are free.

I've read several; I enjoyed them. I found it interesting that Pendergast always carried a different handgun (which was typically discribed in some detail) in each book.

I only remember the Les Baer in most and a Glock on one occasion. Guess it's time for some re-reads! :)

Jeff

If I remember it was a Ruger RedHawk in Relic.

From Wiki:

Pendergast's personal sidearm is usually a customized .45 Caliber Les Baer Government Model M1911 pistol. In Relic he carried a .45 Colt Anaconda double-action revolver. He owns a Signature Grade Colt 1911 .45ACP tuned by pistolsmith Hilton Yam (now owner of 10-8 Consulting).

I had to check! ;)

Jeff

Speaking of guns... another favorite of mine is Stephen Hunter.

http://www.stephenhunter.net/

Of all the writers that I've experienced, he GETS guns. Any of the Swagger novels are top notch and Dirty White Boys is awesome!

Jeff

Alternating between 2,
Mr. Clemens & Mark Twain a Biography by Justin Kaplan ( a gift from my Daughter Jill). I just love his humor

and a re-read after 30 years of ; SPOONPLUGGING "YOUR GUIDE TO LUNKER CATCHES BY BUCK PERRY, in my opinion the most influencial and important book on Freshwater Fishing Ever Written.

Back