What Are You Reading?

I started reading The Dark Tower in 2001 younger than I should have) and was instantly hooked, I'm a huge Stephen King nerd to begin with I own almost all his books and even have a tattoo.

Looking forward to the movie even though kinda been let down by his adaptations.

On another note paper books reader, recently picked up a couple of referencey books: Healing Spices, & The Elixirs of Nostradamus

Goodreads & Paperbackswap are pretty cool sites

Looking forward to the movie even though kinda been let down by his adaptations.

On another note paper books reader, recently picked up a couple of referencey books: Healing Spices, & The Elixirs of Nostradamus

Goodreads & Paperbackswap are pretty cool sites
King is probably one of the weirdest writers when it comes to making movies of his work.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_Baby
I'm not sure about the Tower movie either. It's just one of those series it would be so easy to screw up due to the complexity.

totally agree, I can enjoy the movies as long as I keep expectations low and try to remain objective

I checked and *gasp* I don't have paper copies of either book I recommended. I do have a large volume of short stories by Lovecraft so if the "library" is empty let me know and I'll send you the book.

Thanks, I'll let you know, aprecaite the offer to ;)

My fiancé is a big time reader. She set a goal of reading 18 novels in the 2017 calendar year (she is counting each novel as so many pages so larger books will count as more than one book). Her new favorite activity now that I am living with her is for us to read together. I've been a sci-fi type of guy with book series like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter etc. My friends read a series in High School called Wheel of Time, I think, and they said they were pretty good books. I am curious to learn more about the series Rockywolf mentioned. I just started reading the Divergent series and though I'm only just starting it seems like a pretty interesting book thus far. She is also really pushing for me to read Enders Game since I enjoyed the movie so much. My favorite book of all time is The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas. I like it so much I actually bought it for myself and read it every year or two.

I've never een ale to fight my way through the Lor dof the Rings, had a lot of friends in collage who sore y it when the films came out, I read the first 3 ut it was like wading through trikle for me, I could aprecioate some fo the languadge and the task but for some reason just couldn't get into the rythm of it. *shamedface*

I know the wheelof time series though, thats' one fo the ones I picked out of Rebecca's book hoard, pretty inetersting stuff and wortha read

If you enjoy sci-fi series the Wheel of Time is excellent. My favorite series by far is still the Gunslinger by King.

I believe I've read all fo king except the Dark Tower series if you can beleiev that, keep meaning to but somehow or other I ende dup elaning the end before I picke dup book one so I've always been slow to do it.

The book series and the movie of Enders game aren't even in the same class. The movie watered down all of the emotions, and there's a lot of them.

The only filnm I think I can name that was abtter then the book is Bridges of Madison County

[emoji106] I started reading The Dark Tower in 2001 (way younger than I should have) and was instantly hooked, I'm a huge Stephen King nerd to begin with I own almost all his books and even have a tattoo.

now we have to see the tatto! ;) His short story collections are some fo the most enjoyable reading I can think of

CJ Box writes a pretty good series about a game warden in WY. I read a ton of Louis L'amour when I was in school, and the Joe Pickett series is like a modern day version, with just a little bit of Hollywood special effects thrown in.

Haven't read a lot fo westerns but CJ Box sounds inetersting now, thanks for the recomendation, Cb

In the Fantasy genre The Sword of Truth series was pretty good. Like a lot of people I could claim to be "reading" George R. R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice (Game of Thrones) series, but really we're all just waiting on the next book.

Sword of truth! Those were the first novel length books I ever read back when, first time i've heard someone els mention Goodkind ;)

Anyone ever read Larry brown, anyone? One of my favorites

256109.jpg

Or Holly Goddard Jones, Girl Trouble, the best book of short stroeis I ever read

51GvFzjvxKL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

currently reading Adam J Nicolai on Kindle, just finished "rebecca" and started on "Alex"

now we have to see the tatto! ;) His short story collections are some fo the most enjoyable reading I can think of
It's nothing extravagant, just a quote from one of his short stories that I interpret a little differently than most. Across the front of my left ankle it says "All that you love will be carried away" I always interpreted the phrase to mean sooner or later we lose everything we love so cherish it and make it count.

Last edited:
Any Don Winslow fans?

http://don-winslow.com/

Power of the Dog and The Cartel tell an awesome story of the drug trade.

Dawn Patrol and The Gentlemen's Hour embrace the surf culture.

Kings of Cool and Savages.

EVERYTHING of his is enjoyable!

Jeff

Last edited:
From Wiki:

Pendergast's personal sidearm is usually a customized .45 Caliber Les Baer Government Model M1911 pistol. In Relic he carried a .45 Colt Anaconda double-action revolver. He owns a Signature Grade Colt 1911 .45ACP tuned by pistolsmith Hilton Yam (now owner of 10-8 Consulting).

I had to check! ;)

Jeff

Is this a series of books?

Went to Half Price Books and picked up Crimson Shore, Riptide, and Relic, all three for $8.89

Going to have lots of reading time this week. Connie starts overnights on Sunday though Thursday, so when I finish in the shop each day I need to be quiet so she can sleep. Instead of watching tv I'll read in my "office" upstairs.

It's nothing extravagant, just a quote from one of his short stories that I interpret a little differently than most. Across the front of my left ankle it says "All that you love will be carried away" I always interpreted the phrase to mean sooner or later we lose everything we love so cherish it and make it count.

sounds good

Went to Half Price Books and picked up Crimson Shore, Riptide, and Relic, all three for $8.89

:thumbup:

Anyone ever read Larry brown, anyone? One of my favorites

256109.jpg

Great books.
I knew Larry back in the day. Always great conversation when he was around. Never had one conversation with him about his writing, though. He would rather talk about fishing or music. He was a good guy taken too soon.

I love old books. I've got complete sets of Twain and Dickens that belonged to my grandparents.

I don't have many older books in my library, but I stumbled across this pair a few years ago. Paid $20 for the pair.

2d1221289ebfad025c5ae70dfb7e4bca.jpg

eb27318fc89c766f8e14a6694a3a575a.jpg

101520ac8f8127e020951ce53c6eacfd.jpg

d1f420262a3effb7f173ee5d2172de5d.jpg

Jeff

Back