What are you seasoned guys carrying?

shinyedges

Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will
Gold Member
Platinum Member
And how has it evolved if at all from your choices when you were a novice? I'm interested in what guys who have been around a few years and have gone through many knives have dialed in on for their needs.

Personally, I shifted to fixed blades nearly exclusively. I also shifted to handmade over production. I like cutting performance more than shear pry ability that I used to lean toward.

Screenshot_20190114-080443_Gallery.jpg

Been in the "Knife Game " 45plus yrs.. My carrys have bounced around as time goes by.. Right now I am on a SAK jag.. Small Tinker in the rfp.. I do do FBs periodically too..:D
John

Been in the "Knife Game " 45plus yrs.. My carrys have bounced around as time goes by.. Right now I am on a SAK jag.. Small Tinker in the rfp.. I do do FBs periodically too..:D
John
Gotta switch it up! Hard to beat SAK cutting performance and tool selection. I have a few myself.

I've carried knives for over 35 years now. Started with some Case Trappers and Mini Trappers, Buck 110s and carried an oval-holed Griptilian during my term in the Army. Discovered Spyderco folders and it's pretty much been Spyderco ever since. Give me one of my Militarys and Manix's and I'll happy with the cutting performance. I throw a Hinderer or a CRK in my pocket every now and then. But for sheer cutting geometry in a dusty dirty environment, I'll take a Spydie with me most of the time.

I've carried knives for over 35 years now. Started with some Case Trappers and Mini Trappers, Buck 110s and carried an oval-holed Griptilian during my term in the Army. Discovered Spyderco folders and it's pretty much been Spyderco ever since. Give me one of my Militarys and Manix's and I'll happy with the cutting performance. I throw a Hinderer or a CRK in my pocket every now and then. But for sheer cutting geometry in a dusty dirty environment, I'll take a Spydie with me most of the time.
My first spydie was a delica, i bought a second delica at a gun show in NC (zdp189) I actually lost the zdp189 delica in my pig pen for YEARS, one day the pigs rutted it up and there it was rusted pretty heavily, beat and scratched. I took it apart and cleaned it, I still have it.

My first spydie was a delica, i bought a second delica at a gun show in NC (zdp189) I actually lost the zdp189 delica in my pig pen for YEARS, one day the pigs rutted it up and there it was rusted pretty heavily, beat and scratched. I took it apart and cleaned it, I still have it.

That is PLAIN KOOL!!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
John

I carried a ESEE 3 on my hip when I worked as a welder/fitter years ago. It just got in the way. I were to carry a fixed blade again, it would be a Carothers EDC with a pocket sheath I could just slip into my pocket. The only time I carry a knife on my hip is when I'm in the woods camping/hiking or hunting/fishing, which is often!

I carry an old Craftsman 9507 (Ulster 180) and a Victorinox Farmer.
Craftsman%25209507%2520-%2520Silver%2520Dollars.JPG

Vic%2520Farmer%2520Open%2520on%2520coins.JPG

A Delica in zdp-189 is an excellent cutter! Thin, cuts like nobody's business, holds a working edge longer than normal and weighs next to nothing!

A Delica in zdp-189 is an excellent cutter! Thin, cuts like nobody's business, holds a working edge longer than normal and weighs next to nothing!
I'll post a picture of the knife tonight, zdp isn't as rust resistant as other stainless steels and had deep pitting. Completely due to neglect obviously and I don't blame the knife steel at all. It opens and closes grittier than Clint Eastwood chewing sand but is still functional.

And how has it evolved if at all from your choices when you were a novice? I'm interested in what guys who have been around a few years and have gone through many knives have dialed in on for their needs.

Personally, I shifted to fixed blades nearly exclusively. I also shifted to handmade over production. I like cutting performance more than shear pry ability that I used to lean toward.

View attachment 1054053

Now that I’m retired don’t use a knife for hard work as much these days
My carry choices tend to be knives with a sentimental value
Ones obtained from current friends and those no longer with us

Some of my favorites
image.jpg

I always carry 2 SAKs: my Victorinox Executive, and either my Spartan or my Pioneer as the second one. I've been carrying the Executive for 20 years now. Many years ago, a Spartan (a different one from the one I carry today) was my only EDC knife for around 10 years. On the occasions I carry a non-SAK multi-tool, I carry my Victorinox Spirit (the one with the serrated sheepsfoot blade instead of the scissors).

As for my one-hand opening folder, I carry either one of my Spydercos or one of my CRKs. Lately, it's mostly been my Spyderco Caribbean or Military. Of my CRKs, it's either a large Insingo or small Inkosi.

I've been carrying knives going on 42 years now, and have used knives from many other companies, too, such as Schrade (original Schrade, back in the '70s), Benchmade, Kershaw/ZT, Emerson, SOG, Cold Steel, Wenger, Case, Leatherman, Buck, Camillus (original), Ka-Bar, etc. I've pretty much settled on Victorinox, Spyderco and CRK as my preferred brands for carry and use.

Jim

I started with small Case or Buck knifes. That transitioned to various sized Spyderco, ZT, Benchmade, Strider, CRK and Hinderer blades.

After a few years, I'v pretty much settled on 3" to 3.25" blades by Spyderco, CRK and Hinderer. I own a Benchmades and a single Strider, but they never see any carry time.

I found in the long run, I simply don't need a blade much longer than 3". That even covers camping and hunting.

Now that I’m retired don’t use a knife for hard work as much these days
My carry choices tend to be knives with a sentimental value
Ones obtained from current friends and those no longer with us

Some of my favorites
View attachment 1054084
That makes sense, nice lookin collection you have there CV. Gifted knives are always my most valuable.

Back