What are you seasoned guys carrying?

Member here since 2006, but that's when I really started EDCing, so not nearly as many years as other posters here.

e2QY5Kz.jpg
Nice pics and collection! What is this little fixie please?

I assume you're getting them from private sellers. The last time I checked the price on them was sky-high. When they were still current production IIRC they were just over $100 and being a dumb arse I didn't buy one. :mad:

I got most from the Forum. Price spread was 225-350.

still like a bit of most everything but I lean more nowadays towards more traditional blade shapes and designs. I also like new takes on classics with minor improvements for different cutting tasks.

I bounce all over though like I always did.

your take on a 4" or smaller fixed for daily carry has rubbed off on me. I like my folders but it's hard to not see that small fixed blade being more useful for many things.

Jeez I was kind of hoping to see a pic of your Delica. I have driven past pig farms on the highway and could almost taste it, so I can only image what that environment did to the knife..............After playing with cutting tools for decades I haven't really changed much. I use average steels like, 1080, 1095, VG-10, D-2, the Victorinox stuff, etc. I had a pristine Spyderco Manix years ago and traded it off on a used Esee 4. A few saw that as an unbalanced trade, but it suited my needs more while on my use exploration curve. The overall simpler steels (most of it) suited my needs for rough wood processing and my learning curve knife sharpening skills. Now years later I stay in the same steel ranges overall, have far better sharpening skills, and tend to use smaller fixed blades and folders. I also went through a big thing with high end axes when I lived up in the forest. I still have them, but prefer the mid size to small axes and hatchets now. If anything there is a trend to smaller/lighter.
Funny how the seasoned or older,the edc gets lighter and smaller.Turned 55 today and a sak electrician, buck303 or 301,or mini copper lock are about all I need.Occasionally I slip in my mini grip just because it's light and smooth easy to open just saying

Funny how the seasoned or older,the edc gets lighter and smaller.Turned 55 today and a sak electrician, buck303 or 301,or mini copper lock are about all I need.Occasionally I slip in my mini grip just because it's light and smooth easy to open just saying

Yeah, it's called getting older and getting smarter. Sometimes, some people, actually learn from life's experience in what they really don't need, and the older folks have been around long enough to see through the hype. They've heard it all before.

About 12 yrs ago i was in my early 20s and I decided it was time to get a good quality folder and start carrying daily. When I asked about knives on a gun forum i was a part of, I got many recommendations for either the BM Grip, or the Spyderco Delica. To my untrained eye, the Delica was ugly, so I went with the Griptillian. Of course, being a newb, I opted for the partially serrated blade. I carried and abuse the crap out of that knife exclusively for about 8 years. I think I might have had it sharpened once by the guy at my local locksmith, who also sharpens knives (and does a decent but far from good job of it.)

Fast forward to 2016. I realized that i had all the guns i needed to fill every conceivable role from now till the end of time, but was really lacking on knives. I had my USMC Kabar, and my BM Grip but that was all. I was starting to do more outdoorsy and camping type stuff and it was time to get a fixed blade "bushcrafting knife." Tried the ESEE Laser Strike. No go. Ergos were all wonky. Tried the Becker Bk16, and my hand found home. A few years later, it's still my most used fixed blade knife. That's around the time I found BFC, and started reading here to absorb all the knowledge I could.

The more i read the more I wanted more folders. Got a Delica (love it, still have it). Got a Manix 2 in S110v (which I was going to sell, but my wife decided to claim it, and now it's hers). More knives than I can recall at this time have come and gone in the last few years.

Much like shinyedges shinyedges I really like carrying fixed blades, and on the weekends I do, but working in a professional office during the day I have to keep it discreet and classy so I resort to carrying folders. My #1 most carried knife is my Vic. Pioneer. No matter what else I have on me, that is ALWAYS in my pocket. At work I alternate between the BM North Fork (with wood scales), and the Spyderco Chaparral Ti as my additional knives.
View attachment 1054090
On the weekends you give me a nice light fixed blade, and I'm off to the races! (along with my Pioneer... of course)View attachment 1054091

View attachment 1054092

My taste has definitely gravitated toward nice simple steels in simple light fixed blades, all in leather sheaths. I've tried Kydex. Even good Kydex just doesn't do it for me.
Like that chaparral - wish it was bigger.

still like a bit of most everything but I lean more nowadays towards more traditional blade shapes and designs. I also like new takes on classics with minor improvements for different cutting tasks.

I bounce all over though like I always did.

your take on a 4" or smaller fixed for daily carry has rubbed off on me. I like my folders but it's hard to not see that small fixed blade being more useful for many things.
Do you use a utiliclip?

Yeah, it's called getting older and getting smarter. Sometimes, some people, actually learn from life's experience in what they really don't need, and the older folks have been around long enough to see through the hype. They've heard it all before.
That is amusing, as if getting old was indicative of level of intelligence. While there is truth to what you say, perhaps what's important to old people is different than younger people? I mean surely as our bodies age and our activities change our needs change and that has something to do with older people carrying similar things? Or it is just because they are smarter than everyone younger? Yea, I doubt that.

That is amusing, as if getting old was indicative of level of intelligence. While there is truth to what you say, perhaps what's important to old people is different than younger people? I mean surely as our bodies age and our activities change our needs change and that has something to do with older people carrying similar things? Or it is just because they are smarter than everyone younger? Yea, I doubt that.
I think on the things we are generally interested in, we get smarter as we get older. The Black & Decker drill may not be enough as compared when you were 21 and possibly hadn't used power tools much to that point. Knives are similar, but we all have our preferences that have developed over time and often that experience has been kind of expensive. We each have our unspoken budget ranges and usually adhere to those. The cost often goes up, but so does the quality or usefulness.

Laconico KEEN most days for me, but since its winter (heavy coat region) there's always a few others on board of the Emerson, Hinderer, CRK, Medford and/or Microtech variety. As for the KEEN, it is just so satisfying, both as a utility cutter, but also in a aesthetically intriguing way. It actually appeals to my non-knife-nut friends.

I think on the things we are generally interested in, we get smarter as we get older. The Black & Decker drill may not be enough as compared when you were 21 and possibly hadn't used power tools much to that point. Knives are similar, but we all have our preferences that have developed over time and often that experience has been kind of expensive. We each have our unspoken budget ranges and usually adhere to those. The cost often goes up, but so does the quality or usefulness.

I agree old people pick up much during their lives (or they should anyway, there's absolutely no blanket statement that can be made for all old people across the board other than they are closer to 100 years old than someone younger). The insult (read opinion) that young people who don't carry what SOME old people carry are less smart is just ridiculous.

So, I am less smart because I don't carry a sak and a cane ? o_O

Hmm.

I agree old people pick up much during their lives (or they should anyway, there's absolutely no blanket statement that can be made for all old people across the board other than they are closer to 100 years old than someone younger). The insult (read opinion) that young people who don't carry what SOME old people carry are less smart is just ridiculous.

So, I am less smart because I don't carry a sak and a cane ? o_O

Hmm.
You might find a cane rather useful especially as an unofficial self defense weapon that you can carry any place. I want to get a good one myself "just in case". Don't think it's an insult. It is more of an observation on your end and others. I do like SAKs as you know and find them very useful. I still can't find it in me to carry a fixed blade most every day.... The folder does everything I need doing for the most part. The size or how the folder functions is purely personal preference. Whether someone is smarter because they carry a multi-function knife over something else is pure opinion (but not an insult).

On SAKs, I do think its really interesting just how many knife affectionados carry a SAK day to day. Life is a circle; we start out helpless and end up helpless if the normal flow of things occurs. What happens in between is the fun part.

Last edited:
You might find a cane rather useful especially as an unofficial self defense weapon that you can carry any place. I want to get a good one myself "just in case". Don't think it's an insult. It is more of an observation on your end and others. I do like SAKs as you know and find them very useful. I still can't find it in me to carry a fixed blade most every day.... The folder does everything I need doing for the most part. The size or how the folder functions is purely personal preference. Whether someone is smarter because they carry a multi-function knife over something else is pure opinion (but not an insult).

My multitool is always with me or near by, actually this whole kit is:
Screenshot_20190123-081708_Gallery.jpg

Yea I just took that pic, make no assumptions about what people carry or don't. Think you're smarter because you carry a sak, I find it amusing. Some people think those who don't carry opinels are less smart lol What a joke.

..Yea I just took that pic, make no assumptions about what people carry or don't. Think you're smarter because you carry a sak, I find it amusing. Some people think those who don't carry opinels are less smart lol What a joke.
I agree totally with the Opinel. I just can't understand why so many people like them. Same goes with Moras. Yeah, they cut, but I just don't find them interesting. I use cheap Vic kitchen knives. They work. I'd use or have a lot better stuff for the kitchen if I was interested.

What if I carry a SAK and a Buck 110 in my younger days and as I get older I slowly transition to heavier knives, eventually retiring with a Medford? Will I age slower?o_O
Probably stronger. ;) Life is all about transitions. I started similarly and changed, changed again, and again.

I agree totally with the Opinel. I just can't understand why so many people like them. Same goes with Moras. Yeah, they cut, but I just don't find them interesting. I use cheap Vic kitchen knives. They work. I'd use or have a lot better stuff for the kitchen if I was interested.
I have plenty of swiss army knives around, i can appreciate their utility, some form of a utility tool is around me all the time, sometimes it is one of my saks. My point was older isn't always smarter or all old people would be Einstein. Needs and wants change with aging bodies.

Back