What are you seasoned guys carrying?

I'm not old, but my grand kids think so. :D I was trying to be complementary towards you Shinyedges. Guess I missed again...
You were, I didn't mean that directly towards you, text is difficult to convey tone and intent. Apologies for being unclear and abrasive.

What if I carry a SAK and a Buck 110 in my younger days and as I get older I slowly transition to heavier knives, eventually retiring with a Medford? Will I age slower?o_O

Yes!
Resistance training helps maintain muscles and bone mass. ;)

Geeze, seems the thread stopped being about knives, and became a pissing match about awesome levels of knowledge...
Yay internet!
It was going back to knives until capitain obvious showed up and did what? Not talk about knives lol

Reactions: 353
Don't sweat the energy vampires Stabby. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".......... Billy the spear shaker

I rotate between my Protech TR-5 (commute to work knife), Cold Steel Swift, or my Spyderco Native.
Have a ZT 0350 on it's way. That will be in the rotation as well.

Last week it’s been exclusively my new Hinderer and Junction 4” fixie. I’ll get the Sebenza back in the pocket when the honeymoon is over.

I agree old people pick up much during their lives (or they should anyway, there's absolutely no blanket statement that can be made for all old people across the board other than they are closer to 100 years old than someone younger). The insult (read opinion) that young people who don't carry what SOME old people carry are less smart is just ridiculous.

So, I am less smart because I don't carry a sak and a cane ? o_O

Hmm.

Yes--SAKs and canes are awesome. :D

Last edited:
I do know,beyond a shadow of a doubt,that with age comes wisdom.You do come to a realization point in your life,that you could have done things a lot simpler and with what you already have.A SAK and a stockman of your flavor and a decent fixed blade and I might add a hatchet/axe will take care kof about all your cutting needs,If I would have realized that 30 years ago I may have more money in my pocket than I do now,just saying.

G Getting older
I agree with generally the older we get the wiser we become. I feel smart may not have been the best choice of word. Wise and smart are two different things, yet one in the same. When we become wiser, we can also become smarter. shinyedges shinyedges wiseness comes from your struggles and hurts in life, and smartness is learned. I would say you have some of both at your age already.
Just think of how much more of the two we will have as we get older!
Just seems like an argument that is silly. The smart man choses to stop the argument. The wise man would never have started it.
Not trying to start anything, just my thoughts.
Any who, im carrying the GB Shamwari today.

G Getting older
I agree with generally the older we get the wiser we become. I feel smart may not have been the best choice of word. Wise and smart are two different things, yet one in the same. When we become wiser, we can also become smarter. shinyedges shinyedges wiseness comes from your struggles and hurts in life, and smartness is learned. I would say you have some of both at your age already.
Just think of how much more of the two we will have as we get older!
Just seems like an argument that is silly. The smart man choses to stop the argument. The wise man would never have started it.
Not trying to start anything, just my thoughts.
Any who, im carrying the GB Shamwari today.
I agree, thank you for the words and helping the thread get back on topic.

My edc has changed over the years.A couple days ago I turned 55,one cervical spine surgery,one lowe lumbar surgery, both hips replaced ,uncle rather is a constant companion that likes attention etc.The smaller ,the easy to open,lightweight fixed knives are suddenly becoming favorites.A wise man is often quoted,don't fight with your knife was sound advice from someone that's been there done it.Alot of wisdom there.My buck 301 is wonderful on that capacity
Along with a few others.BUT lighter toys do come along a lot more often these days,it's apart of aging!?

That's a lot to have done to your body, hope your day to day quality of life is good. I can see how your choices would change. What other modern folders have you tried?
My edc has changed over the years.A couple days ago I turned 55,one cervical spine surgery,one lowe lumbar surgery, both hips replaced ,uncle rather is a constant companion that likes attention etc.The smaller ,the easy to open,lightweight fixed knives are suddenly becoming favorites.A wise man is often quoted,don't fight with your knife was sound advice from someone that's been there done it.Alot of wisdom there.My buck 301 is wonderful on that capacity
Along with a few others.BUT lighter toys do come along a lot more often these days,it's apart of aging!?

Back