What are your daily folding knife uses?

I recently got into overbuilt EDC folders for learning/practicing bushcraft skills while I'm out hiking a few times a week - I want to do some light batoning. Of course a fixed blade is better, but open carry is not socially acceptable around here, I have not found a comfortable way to conceal one, and a knife in its bag loses half its utility to me. I do EDC a pocket saw in my bag, but they are single purpose. Thick blade stock does not slice as well, but it gets the job done and is only glaringly apparent when cutting apples (splits them).

all the daily stuff that has been mentioned, like boxes, packaging, rope, etc.
add in lunch, if a knife is needed. (don't typically need a knife for my salad)
processing fish and game is seasonal, although not quite daily.

2 weeks ago, took my wife out for her birthday, and broke out the domino to cut my steak for the first time ever. the provided knife was completely unusable. it looked knice though. this lead to a conversation with the waiter about EDC and...we might have a convert.

also, typically have to fight off bears, bobcats, rabid chickens, and mangy foxes just to get to the car before work each morning.

....also, typically have to fight off bears, bobcats, rabid chickens, and mangy foxes just to get to the car before work each morning.
Dang. That would certainly cause a person to be late for work. I would add raccoons, deer and feral hogs to that list. ;) You just never know and it pays to be prepared.

I work in an office, so typically I use mine to open boxes or packages. Every once in a while I'll use them to cut up my food.

Most days I don't use a pocket knife at all. When I do, it's for the usual things. Cutting threads, opening shipping bags/boxes, cutting down cardboard boxes to fit in the recycling bin, occasionally opening mail. Usually nothing more than a SAK or slipjoint is required, and that's what I tend to carry.

I ceased cutting threads with a pocket knife. Seems you just make the problem worse. Scissors are the answer. SAK or Leatherman scissors perhaps?

I edc a SAK. Everyday uses general include opening packages, and mail. I also use the scissors, quite often, but not usually daily...same for a number of other implements.

Daily would be overgrown branches or weeds around pools. Cutting plastic containers, bags of sand, plastic wrap, breaking down boxes. Breaking chlorine tablets in half. The last one is very corrosive. I use a serrated blade for branches and zt 0350 for the rest.

Like many of you, I buy knives with invented purposes when in all actuality a $5 box opener would tackle 90% of my work day chores, and this is coming from a contractor. Actually, my uncle whose daily duties involves even more everyday cutting relies 100% on a box cutter. It's worked for him going on 40 years.

When it comes to actual knife chores, I'm generally way over-tooled. A 4" ZT isn't needed to open mail and boxes, but carrying and using it gives me enjoyment:) I have several thousands of dollars worth of knives strictly for this reason, and obviously that's ok.

Truth be told, I feel way more naked when i dont have a multitool on my person over a single blade. I find myself needing to make a situation "work" more often than just needing to cut something. I think even out in the woods I put a plier based multitool as more important on my equipment list over my belt knife and/or chopper.

One of my favourite "EDC" tools of late has been my Leatherman Rebar. I used to carry a Skeletool CX, but I found myself wanting a good saw and file more than I wanted a slim profile. Pliers are a must-have for me, as much as a good folder!

I find that my daily knife uses to be pretty ordinary, same as most others here.

I am generally annoyed by overbuilt folders, I usually carry good sturdy slicers, and I would rather move to a fixed blade if I need a heavier duty knife. For prying, opening cans, cutting wire, etc I use a multitool to avoid damaging my knife. In our modern world carrying only a knife isn't enough anymore.

Not so sure about using any knife for SD except in the most dire of circumstances. Aside from legal challenges you are exposing yourself to pathogens.

I am generally annoyed by overbuilt folders, I usually carry good sturdy slicers, and I would rather move to a fixed blade if I need a heavier duty knife. For prying, opening cans, cutting wire, etc I use a multitool to avoid damaging my knife. In our modern world carrying only a knife isn't enough anymore.

Not so sure about using any knife for SD except in the most dire of circumstances. Aside from legal challenges you are exposing yourself to pathogens.
What do you consider overbuilt? Personally I'm not inspector gadget so I prefer to carry the least amount of things in my pocket as possible, a pocketknife offers me many uses and a slightly beefier one offers me a more versatile tool then a sleek one aimed towards slicing. An "overbuilt" knife takes up less pocket space then a thin knife and a multitool combo, most people don't even carry a pocket knife anymore.

We carry what we are comfortable carrying in terms of size. Overall, the daily use is similar unless it is heavily used in a work environment.

pretty much everything stated here - but a nice slicer and a leatherman squirt P4 in your change pocket make a nice combo ;)

One of my favourite "EDC" tools of late has been my Leatherman Rebar. I used to carry a Skeletool CX, but I found myself wanting a good saw and file more than I wanted a slim profile. Pliers are a must-have for me, as much as a good folder!

I find that my daily knife uses to be pretty ordinary, same as most others here.

The Rebar is to me what the Wave is to others, just about perfect. I don't mind that it doesn't have an external blade. Im usually not in that big of a hurry to make a cut, although like yourself I have found the CX to be a fine little tool. I generally carry the Rebar in my watch pocket and a one hand folder clipped inside my right front pocket. The knife is handy, but the Rebar and tools like it have literally saved the day more times than I can remember. Having a tool that lets me improvise to a situation trumps a sharp knife.

About the only time I trade up from the Rebar is when I pack the ST300 on the job.

Dang...I've kinda talked myself into a new LM now:confused:

Like many of you, I buy knives with invented purposes when in all actuality a $5 box opener would tackle 90% of my work day chores,

Ha, that describes me perfectly. I actually carry both a chunker and a slicer. Also like many, during this time of year, in an e-commerce world, open many more packages than usual. With that comes breaking down a large amount of cardboard to fit in the small recycling bin. Because of this, I've acquired a number of tiny chips in my current EDC 204p bladed chunker. Gave me an excuse to pull out the KME yesterday to put on a new edge.

So this time of year I don't need to invent reasons to use my blades. But will always be defending my need for anything other than a little Peanut slipjoint. :D

What do you consider overbuilt? Personally I'm not inspector gadget so I prefer to carry the least amount of things in my pocket as possible, a pocketknife offers me many uses and a slightly beefier one offers me a more versatile tool then a sleek one aimed towards slicing. An "overbuilt" knife takes up less pocket space then a thin knife and a multitool combo, most people don't even carry a pocket knife anymore.

I keep my Leatherman on my belt in its pouch on my side, it's really not too much to carry and doesn't get in the way. It's one of those things that when it's needed it outweighs the inconvenience of carrying it.

As far as overbuilt goes relating to folders, it's hard to define with exact numbers, it's all about balance. I don't think there is anything wrong with a strong knife that can hold up to substantial force. When a 2.5" folder is approaching 1/4" thick it's gone beyond adding strength, it's taking away from cutting ability. On the flip side, I wouldn't carry a folding fillet knife, it has to have a little bit of spine.

At the end of the day, it's about what you like and what fits your needs.

I’m with Steely_Gunz Steely_Gunz . I seldom have to use a knife (which is why pretty much all of mine still have the factory edge), but I have one with me most all of the time.

I own over 150 knives and carry only a few of them daily. Of the ones that I carry, I hardly ever use any of them to do anything and, whenever I do, it's only to open an envelope or cut some packing tape.

I would NEVER use any of the knives in my collection to cut up a box or to do any construction tasks with because I've got box cutters and utility knives for that. I would also never use any of these knives for cooking because I've got 2 drawers full of cooking knives to use for that. For camping/backpacking, I've got a Buck 110, Explorer Swiss Army knife and a couple of Gerber multi-tools that I've always used for these purposes. I also always carry a Swiss Army knife and Gerber multi-tool in a backpack that I carry in my car in case of an "emergency."

So, the primary (and really the only) reason why I carry a knife is the same reason why I sometimes (legally) carry a gun -- just in case I need to use it for self-defense (with the hope that I'll never actually have to use it for that purpose). Cutting open envelopes and packing tape are only incidental uses.

Back