What are your favorite brands?

I’m curious to see what knife brands are most respected and liked. You don’t need to even own a knife from the brand - simply which ones you like the best.

For instance I love Ferrari and they would be at the top of my car list but I’ll never own one.

To make it more of a discussion you could add why you like the brand.

Mine are:
  1. Chris Reeve Knives for obvious reasons but I like my fixed blades (3) just as much as my folders (16). Excellent customer service after the sale.
  2. Hinderer. I like the design and sturdy build.
  3. Jake Hoback. I like beefy knives and they fit the bill.
  4. Spyderco. Such great variety and near perfect usability. They also stand behind their product.
What are yours?: just trying to get a fun friendly discussion going.

No minimum or maximum constraints on your list.

Last edited:
These days I'm pretty focused on these folder makers. CRK, Shirogorov, Cheburkov, Laconico, Burger. Among them are Customs, Mid-Techs and Production knives.

For fixed blades I'm a big Wusthof fan. TRC as well, based on the one Splinter 120 I have.

Other than those I have had, and am having, custom made fixed blade pieces made for me. They include @Hengelo_77, @Mike McCarter and @Cohutta by Russell Reese.

Last edited:
I really like Hinderer, over CRK. I just really appreciate how Hinderer has striven to make their products better, like with the tri-way system and upgraded blade steel whereas CRK doesn't do that. And I know some people might say “If it’s broke, don’t fix it.” While I don’t think any of CRK’s knives are broken, I do feel that they could be better in some ways.
I feel like Hinderer is more in tune with the knife market, for instance they have polls on their website about favorite blade shapes and such.

I still like CRK and can’t wait to get a Sebenza, but as of now I feel like I Hinderer is probably my favorite.

I also like Spyderco a lot too...

I was not expecting it when I went into knives but clearly CRK is my absolute favorite brand.
Based on material the knives are overpriced but clearly the ergos speak to me and I may build my collection and EDC based only in this cleans without a second thought
i like that all their models are just no non-sense and quality, and considering the indented use the choice of material is legit! So even if the price tag is high, i don’t feel too much uncomfortable with it

second brand may be spyderco, quite for the same reason and without any regrets for abusing them;)

At the same level Victorinox because it have grown with them and for all the McGiver thing ;)

Hinderer and Emerson come just after... not the same quality not materials for sure but these designs are true to the vision of the man behind the brand
I like that
And because one day I will be a Ninja I need some serious blade :):):):)

ZT and Spyderco. I did just get a knifeworks benchmade contego and it is sweet... But other than that or a custom crooked river I'm not really into benchmade.

Warranty and service is another reason I put Chris Reeve Knives as my favorite brand.

Last edited:
- Rick Hinderer Knives
- Microtech
- Chris Reeve Knives
- ZT
- Spyderco

There are others, but the maker is either too new and/or has such a small product offering that I haven't enough experience with them to make a determination. However what they produced so far has been impressive.

1. Victorinox. I have had a Huntsman as my soke EDC for about 3 months and I feel like it can tackle anything. I'm gping for a Rangergrip next.

2. LT. Wright Camp Cook series. I'm thinking of getting the set and using the Large Pouter as an all purpose knife. My wife will love the Traveler in the kitchen I'm sure.

3. Condor. They make a Kephart I gave to my dad that is the closest thing I've found to the knife Horace said was in front of him in his book. Closer than the new Becker. I like it, and intend to buy another. It felt great in my medium sized hand. They use a decent steel, the one I got my dad rolls on knots but it's not a huge issue.

4. Ontario. Granddad believes in Old Hickory knives. I'm also looking at a Blackbird SK-5. I thought about picking one up a few years ago and didn't, but the price has dropped since.

I looked at some Chris Reeves fixed blades when I was younger but never pulled the trigger on one. They look like high quality knives.

Fallkniven, Lionsteel, Fantoni for imports. Lone wolf knives of old, Zt of old as well.
Forgot Al Mar too!! Of old that is!!!!!

Last edited:
Becker - no nonsense, hard-use, crovan users - for all my terrestrial wanderings

Spyderco - specialized, salt series of ergonomic knives - great for my marine, boating wanderings

Victorinox - MacGyver (plus the Alox line is AWESOME and a classy gents knife). Also, I just have a feeling that my SwissChanp might save my life one day.

Dexter-Russell - basic, workhorse fishing and marine based knives that just get the job done.

No one presently makes my dream / perfect / ideal spearfishing knife... Still working on that.

For me it's down to 3 Brands with one caveat on number 3 as its more design feature.

Cold Steel: I love the triad lock. I have several of the Code 4 and Voyager patterns, plan on getting a Recon and a Lawman.

Spyderco/Byrd: I keep finding more models that I like. I have 3 bByrd knives and 4 or 5 Spyderco's with plans to add more.

Benchmade - (or really anything with an Axis lock, G-lock, Able lock, Bar lock). I probably have 30 knives ranging from cheap gateway homages to several Benchmades with one upwards of $200. The SOG Terminus is a good midsize edc, along with the mini grip and 940. I don't have a Hogue version yet but plan on getting a couple different models in the next year.

I would pick a fixed blade everytime if it were possible so ...

fixed blades ...
CPKs
Beckers
LT Wright
Winkler
and a few custom makers from our forums ...

folders ...
CRKs
Hinderer
ZT
Spyderco

Anything Russian, Shiro, Cheburkov, CKF....etc etc

From America, Emerson, ZT and Protech

And any of the major Chinese brands like Reate, Kizer, WE, Bestech.....Besides the Russian stuff, these Chinese guys shit all over anything made right now for build quality and cost.

Back