What are your favorite brands?

A company I’d like to give thumbs up to is Zack Brown Southern Grind.

They employ disabled veterans and a portion of the revenue goes to support troops.

Plus, the make really great knives. I really appreciate and respect a company that puts our veterans’ well being above corporate profits.

Seems like a lot of customers of other companies have to jump through negative hoops and this is never the case with Southern Grind.

For me as I age I have found my taste in knives has changed. But here is where I stand as if now
Still my very favorite ZT 0561 and only the 0561
And CRK any of them in folding family
Almost all the Russian made knives
Just about everything German made
And a few of the higher end Chinese makers.
Oh ya and Medford knife and tool. You know the guy everyone loves to hate. I like quite a few of his knives.

Case, Buck, and Victorinox.
I've never had a bad one from any of these 3 companies.
My grandfather trusted Victorinox, my dad trusted Buck, and Case well they were just a known name that I acquainted myself with.

I would like a large Sebenza, but it will never happen. I don't spend much time thinking about knives that are too expensive ($200+) for my budget. I like so many manufacturers, and their products from the US, and Taiwan. I would be most upset if Cold Steel or Spyderco closed their doors. They have incredibly diverse product lines, and price ranges that everyone can afford.

Buck
Mora
Rough Ryder
Marbles
Western
Schrade Family of brands.
Victorinox

Last edited:
Emerson, Hinderer, the midtech Ferrum Forges, Strider, Spartan Blades, McGinnis Pro Line. Spyderco always manages to make something that'll get my attention. Leatherman for multitools.

Here’s another vote for
-CRK
-Spyderco
-ZT

ZT is solidly in third place.

Between CRK & Spyderco it’s hard for me to pick a favorite.

One of these days I need to give Hinderer and ProTech a try. I’ve been really close a few times.

A company I’d like to give thumbs up to is Zack Brown Southern Grind.

I agree wholeheartedly, but only the SpiderMonkey really floats my boat. The BadMonkey tempts me, but I doubt I’d carry it much.

I own over 330 knives made by over 25 different companies. I like all of the of knives that I own. Otherwise, I would never have bought them.

However, based on the # of knives of each brand that I own, my favorites apparently are:

1) Spyderco (128)
2) Kershaw (92)
3) ZT (38)
4) CRKT (35)

Other notable brands that I own in lesser quantities include:

1) Gerber (11)
2) Cold Steel (8)
3) Benchmade (7)
4) Protech (5)
5) Artisan Cutlery (5)
6) Microtech (4)
7) Buck (3)

There are also many other brands of knives that own only 1-2 of, including but not limited to:

Bastinelli/Marcaida
Boker
Bradley-Kimura
Brous Blades
BRS
Extrema Ratio
Ka-Bar
Lagioule
Leatherman
Lionsteel
Ontario
Real Steel
Victorinox (own 3 Explorers that I only count as 1)

However, some of my favorite knives were made by companies listed in the last group of brands.

Last edited:
Based on what’s in my pockets, I would say William Henry, Darrel Ralph, Robert Lessard modified SAK’s, and Spectrum Energetics Utilizer.

I've narrowed down my daily carries to a just a few of my favorite brands in the picture.
Protech is also in the running.
And my multi-tool favorites are Victorinox and Leatherman.
wD0TXqw.jpg

Fixed blades : ESEE, Buck, Spyderco, Victorinox (kitchen knives)
Folders : Spyderco, Benchmade, Ontario, Buck, Victorinox, Wenger

I definitely missed Morakniv on my list.

They simply work and are accessible to all and make great knives to stash all over, for various uses.

They just aren't sexy. They don't elicit much of an emotional response from me. I totally take them for granted... But I shouldn't.

Great knives and awesome users. Good ergos, too.

Being in Canada, my selection of knives that I can afford is a lot more limited than what I would be able to buy if I were 20 miles to the south (well maybe not, as that would put me in northern New York but you get the idea). Our pricing has always been out of whack as compared to the exchange rate but that's the price of living in "paradise" I guess.

My absolute favourite brand is Benchmade, no doubt about it. I have very few of the BM QC issues that people complain about and love their designs, plus even an old clumsy fart like me can fix them when they need it.

Spyderco. I have tried to like them, I really have tried but my PM 2 and Para 3 are covered in dust from inactivity. Interestingly the one Spyderco I do have I really like, even though I don't consider the Southard Positron a Spyderco. Made by Spyderco certainly, but not your typical Spyderco design. I don't like the Spydie hole, front finger choils, back locks, wide blades and g10/CF veneer scales. So that removes most of their lineup. However I do quite like some of their "colabs" though, especially the ones that don't have the aforementioned "dislikes".

Last edited:
Back