What are Your most used functions ?

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
Besides the blades on a Vic or pliers on a multitool what functions do you use most ?

I most use the scissors and toothpick on my Vic classics ( rarely use these blades actually )
The toothpick and flatblade driver on my recruit and tinker
And On my Leatherman fuse I most use the Phillips and large flatblade drivers.

Phillips, flats and saws, followed by the magnifying glass on my Scientist.

Tooth pick, followed by the can opener and then the screw drivers. But I have used every tool on my Swiss Champ except for the cutting blades. I carry other knives for that.

O.B

Bottle opener. I rarely use the opener in the kitchen drawer since I have a bottle opener in my pocket. It's not uses the MOST, but I find it very handy to have as I drink non twist off beer most of the time.

Screw drivers see the most practical use in my job. They save me countless trips back to my truck.

I would say the pliers are even more useful. Having something to grip, crush, or turn really comes in handy as a contractor.

Screwdrivers on my Leatherman and Saw on my Vic Walker. A looooong time ago I used the saw on my Vic Woodsman to obtain a few pieces of bamboo as souvenirs of a visit to Puerto Rico. :confused::eek::cool: Fingernail file on my Wenger Esquire.

Last edited:
Truth be told, I don't remember exactly how often I use each implement on my Vics or Leathermen, but some or another get used daily:

• Blades; mostly PE, sometimes SE
• Screwdrivers; slotted and Ph in different sizes
• Scissors
• Pliers
• Files; rough,
smooth and nail
• Toothpick; not always for teeth
• Can opener; not always for opening cans
• Bottle opener; not always for bottles
• Awl; seldom but indispensable when needed
• Corkscrew; almost every day
• Saw; mostly for on the spot sapling or thin branch trimming

Almost everything else gets used once in a while, even the package hook for lifting wire bound straw bales or newsprint, and the fish scaler, as a probe for something I can't or don't want to touch with my fingers.

Probably toothpick, tweezers, nail file.

I would use the scissors more but they are stuck so they don’t spring back open. So that is annoying.

On my multi tool, the file and jigsaw blade holder get the most use, followed by their screwdrivers and the knifeblades.
On scout knives its always the punch getting the most use, followed by the caplifter/screwdriver.

Bottle opener. I rarely use the opener in the kitchen drawer since I have a bottle opener in my pocket. It's not uses the MOST, but I find it very handy to have as I drink non twist off beer most of the time.

Screw drivers see the most practical use in my job. They save me countless trips back to my truck.

I would say the pliers are even more useful. Having something to grip, crush, or turn really comes in handy as a contractor.
Snap, twist caps are very rare here, and none of the beer I drink comes with them. I always have a SAK Alox in one pocket. Screw drivers are useful, as is the awl on occasion. In the woods, the SAK saw is a thing of beauty. We like to get a brew on with a hobo stove, and a SAK farmer is really all you need.

Leatherman: pliers and drivers primarily.

I use the blades on both SAK’s and Leathermans.

Scissors. Even if I could survive without them, I use my vic scissors because they are the best.

Wenger Esquire ~ scissors and nail file to keep my nails in shape because I'm a guitarist.
All other Wengers and Vics ~ both screwdrivers, although when the phillips is relegated to coming out of the middle, it becomes hard to use. Both blades, scissors, files, saws...avoid corkscrews in favor of anything else.

When I lost my big fancy Leatherman (gift from my wife) because I trusted the pocket clip and brush snagged it while I was brush hogging, I thought about what I really used the most, pliers/wirecutters, and bought the Skeletool CX.

Leatherman / medium Victorinox:
Wood saw
Philips screw drivers
Flat screw driver as pry bar

Small victorinox:
Scissors

Back