What are Your most used functions ?

What are Your most used functions ?
That would be, in order, Sex God and Megahurt DefinteKill Overly Enthusiastic Defender of the Free World

Besides the blades on a Vic or pliers on a multitool what functions do you use most ?
er . . . ummmm . . . oh . . . you mean in my
multi tools.

That would be the pliers in my Vic Mechanic.
Precise little buggers. Love these things ! They make my tiny SnapOn Pliers look like a Neanderthal's EDC reject.

More precise than a hemostat. One, must have, EDC ! (at work anyway)
IMG_5245.jpg

That would be, in order, Sex God and Megahurt DefinteKill Overly Enthusiastic Defender of the Free World

er . . . ummmm . . . oh . . . you mean in my
multi tools.

That would be the pliers in my Vic Mechanic.
Precise little buggers. Love these things ! They make my tiny SnapOn Pliers look like a Neanderthal's EDC reject.

More precise than a hemostat. One, must have, EDC ! (at work anyway)
View attachment 909983
They do look pretty precise.

Btw are your hemostats made in Germany or Pakistan ?
It definitely matters.

The blade on my SAK and pliers on the multi-tool are the dominant user tools.

On the SAK, flat head screw driver and cap lifter are probably used the most, but I really like having a tweezers available if I need it. Phillips screw driver is next. Rarely use a SAK or multi-tool scissors for anything and in fact don't carry a SAK that has a scissors. Multi-tool has that.

Pliers for pulling up and tucking back edges of carpet, Screw Drivers for Plate Covers, etc. at work.

On my Signature, the scissors, pen, and toothpick.

On my Huntsman, Scissors, can opener, Caplifter/flat blade screwdriver, and the saw.
I also use both blades on the Huntsman, but you said "other than ..." so I won't mention them ... oops ... :oops:

On my Signature, the scissors, pen, and toothpick.

On my Huntsman, Scissors, can opener, Caplifter/flat blade screwdriver, and the saw.
I also use both blades on the Huntsman, but you said "other than ..." so I won't mention them ... oops ... :oops:

No problem, I only said besides because using the blades on a Vic or pliers on a multitool are a given.
Those are definitely what I use most as I'm sure the majority do.

Toothpick for sure.
Just wish it were a bit more durable.
Then blades and maybe caplifter, kind of a 3-way tie between the eyeglass screwdriver and the awl.
g6dQLg3.jpg

1. Scissors
2. Tweezers
3. Small blade
4. Micro screwdriver stored in the corkscrew

Last edited:
It depends... besides the pliers (I rarely use the blade because I have a dedicated pocket knife), if I'm in my home city/suburb:

1. Phillips head for tightening or replacing screws on an old house
2. Scissors for cutting tape or loose thread on my clothes/gear or cutting off the edge of a split fingernail
3. Flathead for opening paint cans (keychain MT flathead adjusts the heads on my sprinklers and cigar lighter)
4. I don't drink that often, but I have friends that will often borrow my MT to open their beers with its bottle opener

If I'm traveling, I most often use:

1. Scissors for bandages or loose threads... occasional fingernail split
2. Can opener for eating my canned black beans (often eat those daily when traveling in the US)... BTW LM, if you're listening, if the flathead on the Crater was a tiny bit smaller and included a can opener, it would be my go-to USA travel EDC, and I woud leave my Juice in my briefcase.

Scissors, tweezers, toothpick. Rarely use the blade because I usually have a better knife around.

Scissors, tweezers, toothpick. Rarely use the blade because I usually have a better knife around.
Better blade than a Vic blade ?
There's no such thing as far as I'm concerned.

A Vic is a knife first and foremost after all and they're one helluva knife, they can outslice about anything.

Better blade than a Vic blade ?
There's no such thing as far as I'm concerned.

A Vic is a knife first and foremost after all and they're one helluva knife, they can outslice about anything.
Let clarify: I have no complaints about the blade quality--I have used it for wedge cuts on cigars when my cutter was not handy. But I currently have two Vics: a tiny one I keep in the car, and a GINORMOUS one I keep in a kitchen drawer. The small knife has a tiny blade; I like something more substantial, like a trapper clip blade, for example. The large knife is too big to carry, and the handle is not as comfortable to use as my other knives. No complaints about the quality. Come to think of it, I should acquire a medium-sized Vic to carry sometimes.

For my usage, there are better knives than Vics. It's less to do with the blade, more to do with the handle. I can get a more secure grip on my other knives than I can on my Vics (I have very dry hands). More than once I've had my Vics slip in my hand and almost cut me. As for the blade, I'd say they're very slicey indeed, but I can't put as fine an edge on mine as I can on some of my other knives, so some of my other knives actually seem to slice better. Just my usage, my experiences and thus my opinions. I know this is going to offend some people but hey, we all use our knives differently. Besides, I grew up with Vics, and they were my only knives for years, so they'll always have a special place in my heart. Just so y'all know I'm not hating on them for the sake of it. I still love them, in particular my Huntsman which I've had since 2002.

(PS. I have a Huntsman, a Hiker, a One-handed Trekker and a Solo Alox. All of them are slippery in my hand. My hands suck...)

Last edited:
I have carried a boy scout knife or SAK for about the last 60 years. That means that I have always had a knife blade, screwdriver/cap lifter, can opener and awl. Early on I moved up to a scout knife/SAK that had a philip's head. When I standardized on SAKs I first went to the Tinker with larger and smaller knife blades, screwdriver/cap lifter, can opener/small screwdriver, philips head, awl, tooth pick and tweezers . I would use every blade and used my SAK about 10 times more than any tool on my work bench. For years I also carried some sort of lockblade knife. Commonly a customized Mercator K55 cat knife tucked behind my wallet. Then Victorinox came out with the upsized Adventurer with 3.25 inch lockblade. I have carried one of those for around 25 years. I sacrificed the small knife blade of the Tinker, but kept the rest with on the Adventurer.

Key to my SAK selection is to not be bulky or heavy. I have lots of bulky and heavy knives. For constant carry I want only two spring channels of thickness. I have a Locksmith model for camping that adds a saw and metal file, but that doesn't suit for constant carry. I always sharpen my knife blades such that I seldom find a need for scissors. My optimized sharpening for the SAK alloy includes a light final stropping using 100,000 grit diamond paste. I have skinned game with my Adventurer and the only disadvantage was cleaning it out.

I have carried the Boy Scout version of the Adventurer, complete with BSA logo, but it was a big hassle to grind off the stupid blade serrations. That one I lost at security to the first McCain/Palin rally. 20% of the crowd were military from Fort Carson, but they had a metal detector and took my SAK (since it was about a mile round trip to get back to my car). With constant carry and frequent business trips I have lost about 6 knives to the TSA.

I pack a basic Leatherman for travel to have a file and pliers, but I almost never carry it on my person.

Back