What are your thoughts about the US-made Gerber DoubleDown folding machete/knife?

I had to check my collection to see if I even owned a Gerber knife? Sure enough I do! A Gerber Mark II Knife [22-01874] which Amazon was selling a while back for $74.92. A very well made, American made knife. Worth every penny. The Gerber haters crack me up. I might have to pick-up another Gerber of some sort. Any model suggestions?
How about a Gerber LST? Budget friendly and extremely practical.

I have the strongarm, its a good knife,very well made, the prodigy is another good one they make, if they stayed on that sort of track they would be a much more respected company on these forums..

I don't get the "machete" part. If someone was designing a blade that short to use like a tiny machete, it could be way better. To me that's just a large balisong with a weird handle.

It is probably performs similar to a Kershaw Camp 10. The blade is shorter but the handle length adds to the effective blade length. Then again, it is twice the price and 2/3 the weight.

n2s

Looks like Gerber was able to design a much weaker, less efficient, more expensive machete!!

Looks like a design by someone that spends more time on a computer than actually out in the woods.
Manufacturers have to find something new to sell, as thats how they make more money.

Get a Skrama, the thinking man's golock and or a long machete (jungle). Spend what you save on those two on beer and enjoy life.

My last Gerber product was a bulky multitool with rubber scale inserts given to me about fifteen years ago. It was not a particularly well designed instrument. I replaced it with a used Leatherman Wave off of e-bay and I have been very happy wih it. Gerber used to be a decent product for the price but I noticed the drop in quality once the firm was taken over by Fishkars. Goofy designs like the balisong machete carrying a hefty price are not going to win me over. In my mind their are better alternatives if I want a working knife for a decent price.

My last Gerber product was a bulky multitool with rubber scale inserts given to me about fifteen years ago. It was not a particularly well designed instrument. I replaced it with a used Leatherman Wave off of e-bay and I have been very happy wih it. Gerber used to be a decent product for the price but I noticed the drop in quality once the firm was taken over by Fishkars. Goofy designs like the balisong machete for a hefty price are not going to win me over. In my mind there are better alternatives if I want a working knife for a decent price.

Last edited:
I had a chance to handle one and while it is solidly made, I had a hard time working the latch.

n2s

Back