What are your thoughts on the MOD CQD Mark 1 and the ZT300?

Hi guys!

This is my first post here, and I am starting to get into the whole EDC knife world.....I have been doing some research, and have decided to get a nice, sturdy, and reliable tactical folder to complement my Glock 19C.

So the question is this: Which one would you find to be more reliable and worth the money? A manual open, combo edge CQD Mark 1 runs for $239 new, and the Zero Tolerance 0300 runs the same at my local U.S. Cavalry....I've handled both, and am not really worried about size....

Thanks for all your imput! :D

- SPC Waldron

They're in different categories.
The CQD is definitely sturdy and I doubt the lock would fail but it is not as "beefy" as the 0300. If it comes down to lock strength, seeing the 0300 win wouldn't be a surprise. But the CQD has the glass breaker, cord cutter (which makes the pomell a very potent tip for striking), and the "side hilts" which I absolutely love. Sticking your thumb up against them give a great sense of security and almost forces you to stab. When it comes to grip, the 0300 is certainly alright from what I've heard but the CQD is at least as good if not better due to the inserts and jimping on practically every surface in my experience.
The blade shape on the CQD seems better suited for SD as well and it comes very sharp (sharpness that I'm sure the 0300 is equal to or rivals). Carrying the CQD is probably a bit easier than the 0300 due to size. CQD has a secondary lock while the 0300 doesn't but then again it probably doesn't need it.
It really is going to come down to your intended use IMHO. Personally, I own the MOD CQD Mk1 and love it, I'm carrying it right now. Of course, a lot more people on the forum own an 0300 so you'll see a lot people who love it as well. If you feel you need a better SD capability and want the cord cutter and glass breaker, the CQD is the clear choice. But if you want to do some chopping and prying, go for the ZT 0300.

Both knives are reliable and tough. Both made statement in the knife World.

To my understanding MOD Mark I is more suitable for CQC. I am not ane expert but I have pretty good review from Leopard former Vietnamise specnaz who is training Russian and Ukrainian special forces in CQC.

http://playground.sun.com/~vasya/MOD-Mark-II.html

Let me translate his major points on this knife:
1. Shuttle like symmetrical shape - easy to nmnipulate, excellent handling in many fighting styles.
2. Center of gravity inside ring made by index finger and thumb in direct grip and by little finger and thumb in reverse grip - solid grip easy to control.
3. Blade - like spear blade. Top of the spine has groves - easy to control penetration into target and easy to pull knife from the target. Also good when you need accurate power cut - like dealing with land mines or some emergency medical help in certain situations.
4. Thumb studs are on both sides and touching handle in open position - do not stuck in the target closes in deep penetration (like other knives he was training with). It is important if you fight against many enemies - to be able to pull your weapon fast to use against another target.
5. Front top of the blade possible to sharpen and it will be hidden in the handle in closed position - important feature, may attack any direction with any grip.
6. Edge belly with "snake bite" tipe of hit catch target and made deep cut and widening blade toward handle make it easyer.
7. Coating is quite durable.

But most important part is handle.

1. Best feature - side bumps in guard area. Excellent to control knives, to push and to pull especially when it stuck between ribs as well as to take it away from the sheath.
2. Handle widening near guard and with side bump it is enough to secure perform power hit with any major grip. Especially if hands are wet and knife hit some hard target. He saw what may happen in this situation and even had same troubles himself.
3. Very reliable lock - he tryed to stuff it with mud and dirt intentionally - no way to stop it from working. Bump around button prevent accidental unlocking.
4. Grooves on the handle provides enough air to dry hands (they sweat in critical sytuations) or drain liquid away from palm. Also they increase friction during manipulations. Also helps to clean knife.
5. Belt cutting blade very useful for safe cutting closes on wounded comrades - much safer then with main blade especially in a rush.

He review it from his CQC point of view - quite interesting.

ZT300 is also excellent knife - tough and reliable. But I am not sure how good it is in CQC. Only I may say the it has good wide blade with may cause big damage with poke kind of hit - almost like slicing cuts. I read about this trend in modern knife fight in some Russian forum.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Vassili.

I've got a manual CQD, manual CQD Mk II, and auto CQD Mk I. I also have a ZT 0200. Great knives, all of them. :D

I've handled the 0300 and found it was just a fatter 0200 which didn't impress me. For self-defense (or any emergency service knife) I recommend manual action. Less parts to break or jam. You could pry with a CQD like you could with a crow bar.

As long as you're OK with the size of them, I'd say go with the CQD. If you still aren't sure, check out the 0200 before you settle on the 0300.

Thanks a lot guys! I never have seen a place that is so helpful and informative. I greatly appreciate all the imput you guys have put in so far! I'm leaning toward the MOD CQD Mark 1.....I also found out they make a Prylon sheath to carry it in the open position....I like that a LOT, as I am an Infantryman in the 101st Airborne Division right now....and I could definitely see myself attaching that Prylon sheath to my body armor for the field, and for when I go back to the sandbox next year. I had a fixed-blade Gerber LMFK (I think thats what it was).....came with the sheath and such....stood up very well over there; I even used it to pry open a door during a raid. As for manual openers....I would rather have a manual over an auto any day. As we say in the Infantry; "Keep It Simple Stupid". The more parts there are on something, the more that can fail. I am definitely going to see what others post, and get some more imput before I drop 240 bones on one of these knives.

Thanks again to all of you!

- SPC Waldron

I forgot to mention this before but Blackhawk has a new economy model of the MOD CQD Mk1 that's going for $100 MSRP (check their website). The materials won't be the same quality and such but the price is much cheaper. I plan on snagging one once dealers have them as they should run abou $60 or so by then.

Thanks for your service!

If you have small shovel with you - sharpen it. Works better then knife in CQC.

Thanks, Vassili.

Thanks for the thanks, Vassili!

I did hear about the Mark 1 Type E....I suppose the "E" stands for economy....I looked at one in my 2009 Blackhawk catalog....the blade is AUS8A stainless steel, and the handle is reinforced injection-molded nylon with 420J stainless steel liners. Same as the MOD Mark 1, but cheaper materials. It will be good for those who want the look and feel, but not the big price tag.

I did hear about the Mark 1 Type E....I suppose the "E" stands for economy....I looked at one in my 2009 Blackhawk catalog....the blade is AUS8A stainless steel, and the handle is reinforced injection-molded nylon with 420J stainless steel liners. Same as the MOD Mark 1, but cheaper materials. It will be good for those who want the look and feel, but not the big price tag.

It is very smart move for them! I heard a lot complains about MOD Mark I and II being overpriced! I guess they should do this way ago. an for CQC ability of steel to hold hair whittling edge is not too important.

Thanks, Vassili.

Yea, I do agree with you Vassili. Blackhawk made a very smart move making a more economical CQD Mark 1. I know a few people who really like the knife, but not the price tag. Hopefully this will generate some good sales.

- SPC Waldron

I have a CQD as well. Like the knife a lot, but do not carry it much. If carrying by the clip, it sticks up way too far out of your pocket. This knife is much better sheath carried. I am just not a fan of sheath carrying. When I bought my CQD, I also bought the form-fitted leather sheath that MOD made for it. Not sure if Blackhawk sells the same. It is a really nice, high-quality sheath. I just do not wear them often, once-in-awhile. So it remains in my rotation for those times when I choose to show-off that I am carrying a blade.
Otherwise I prefer black clips. Black clips can remain black for as long as you desire. Either black heat-shrink tube or traction tape. Both areeasily replacable when you bump up against something and damage the finish.

I do like the CQD, don't get me wrong. I just do not like the carry method. I do not have a ZT300 so will not comment.

i am a big CQD fan,the CQD Mark I is great,but there is only 1 thing you should know about,the screws are easy to rust.

Not only screws, I have the limited edition & I had to polish the tumbstud, it continued to rust chronically, probably because it has an aggressive texture (on the limited edition), that tend to retain dirt & dead skin; my Mark 1 also has developed blade play in all directions.

I practise Kali, IMO the Mark 1 is a good knife, but it is overpriced (but here in Italy it costs more than the ZT & the limited edition is expensive, when I bought it I was a knife newbie) & overhyped, cutting ability is medium (Manix is far superior, even the ZT 0301), the ergonomics of the knife are very good but they are ruined by the secondary safety (tumb is on this little moving piece of metal, using filipino grip) & the cord cutter (less manoeuvrability & not comfortable in icepick grip).
There is also a opening problem, if you use straight movement to use the tumbstud (not a circular movement, I prefer straight) the guard of the knife is to close to the TS & opening is harder (the ZT does not have this problem).

I also have the ZT 0301, I love it, it is awesome, state of the art ergonomics (on par with the loved Manix, my favourite folder), great cutting edge & the S style of edge is particularly good for knife fighting (academically speaking): the concave part of the edge is great for blocking & the convex part is great for slicing; but it is also a great utily folder.
The sad thing about the ZT 0301 is the blade retention without the speedsafe, there isn't the detent on the blade so you are forced to keep the speedsafe (I trust a lot more 100% manual folder than assisted or auto).
Secondary I also noted a bad dehorning on the blade & flipper (the handles are well dehorned) of the 0301, but this doesn't ruin the functionality of the knife.

They are both great knives, but I prefer the ZT 0301 over the MOD... & I prefer the Manix over both:D (but the ZT is a close second:thumbup:)

For full review of both knives here are the links (in Italian but there are many photos):
-ZT (I drilled the damm detent by myself):
http://www.coltelleriacollini.it/community4/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8015
-MOD (tumbstud polished by me to prevent heavy rust, for now the scews are only periodically cleaned & oiled, but maybe in the future I will have to polish even them :thumbdn: ):
http://www.coltelleriacollini.it/community4/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6253
(you can even see the Keep It Complex school :thumbdn:, when the knife is disassembled)

For compact light carry on MOLLE stuff, I suggest to you a nice KaBar BK11 "Becker Necker", I have the old Camillus model & I highly recommend it (I also love carbon steel, but you will need a little bit of maintenance):
http://www.coltelleriacollini.it/community4/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7315

Not only screws, I have the limited edition & I had to polish the tumbstud, it continued to rust chronically, probably because it has an aggressive texture (on the limited edition), that tend to retain dirt & dead skin; my Mark 1 also has developed blade play in all directions.

I practise Kali, IMO the Mark 1 is a good knife, but it is overpriced (but here in Italy it costs more than the ZT & the limited edition is expensive, when I bought it I was a knife newbie) & overhyped, cutting ability is medium (Manix is far superior, even the ZT 0301), the ergonomics of the knife are very good but they are ruined by the secondary safety (tumb is on this little moving piece of metal, using filipino grip) & the cord cutter (less manoeuvrability & not comfortable in icepick grip).
There is also a opening problem, if you use straight movement to use the tumbstud (not a circular movement, I prefer straight) the guard of the knife is to close to the TS & opening is harder (the ZT does not have this problem).

I also have the ZT 0301, I love it, it is awesome, state of the art ergonomics (on par with the loved Manix, my favourite folder), great cutting edge & the S style of edge is particularly good for knife fighting (academically speaking): the concave part of the edge is great for blocking & the convex part is great for slicing; but it is also a great utily folder.
The sad thing about the ZT 0301 is the blade retention without the speedsafe, there isn't the detent on the blade so you are forced to keep the speedsafe (I trust a lot more 100% manual folder than assisted or auto).
Secondary I also noted a bad dehorning on the blade & flipper (the handles are well dehorned) of the 0301, but this doesn't ruin the functionality of the knife.

They are both great knives, but I prefer the ZT 0301 over the MOD... & I prefer the Manix over both:D (but the ZT is a close second:thumbup:)

For full review of both knives here are the links (in Italian but there are many photos):
-ZT (I drilled the damm detent by myself):
http://www.coltelleriacollini.it/community4/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8015
-MOD (tumbstud polished by me to prevent heavy rust, for now the scews are only periodically cleaned & oiled, but maybe in the future I will have to polish even them :thumbdn: ):
http://www.coltelleriacollini.it/community4/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6253
(you can even see the Keep It Complex school :thumbdn:, when the knife is disassembled)

For compact light carry on MOLLE stuff, I suggest to you a nice KaBar BK11 "Becker Necker", I have the old Camillus model & I highly recommend it (I also love carbon steel, but you will need a little bit of maintenance):
http://www.coltelleriacollini.it/community4/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7315

Really great ZT302 review!!! i joy to read/watch!

The ultimate knife

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630295

PICT1523.jpg

I am wondering how in practice you going to block with concave part of the 3.5" blade? What kind of knife fight are you talking about?

Thanks, Vassili.

P.S. Never mind - I saw you fighter hands...

Back