Off Topic What axe is this?

Hello guys.
Basicly i found an small axe from the garage and i have no idea what axe it actually is.
Does anyone know the purpose of the this axe or what axe like that is called?

https://imgur.com/5Jp9dVN
https://imgur.com/YRJbwz0
5Jp9dVN

YRJbwz0

It is a russian carpenter's axe,aka "topor",(handled up-side down in the photo*).

You can look for some stamp on it,and it then May tell you where/when it was produced....

*the eye on many(most?)of these was forged in Such a turd-like manner,that the handling of these is a fine form of monkey-business...And for a less experienced person it's hard to tell top from bottom.
The haft itself seems original,and is most likely birch.

It looks a bit like a Russian/Soviet axe. You might find a mark on it if you clean it up some.
I wouldn’t be surprised if it isn’t mounted upside down.

What Agent_H says!:)

Does anyone know the purpose of the this axe

No,the purpose of this axe has never been discovered.

In the monumental dysfunction that was called USSR it became the only model available(barring a very late felling type),and so out of necessity was used for Everything.
As in literally.Carpentry of whatever sort or finesse,general building,forestry chores,carving of spoons and traditional toys....Necessity being the mother...:) et c.,a perfect example of this effect in tool usage.
And though some people did some Incredible work with it,the true purpose of this ugly,unwieldy tool was never understood.
S'est la vie.

Last edited:
I was pretty sure that it's russian axe, since i'm Estonian and every old tool in Estonia is from russia, ya'll know why.
I guess it's not really worth restauring :D

I also found this one https://imgur.com/U7L5UAE
Weird straight edge axe.

I’d set those up for use- they all like being sharp ;)

There seems to be a few older Finnish axes coming out of Estonia (just looking at auctions).

The plus side of the first one you posted is that it still has a long toe on it being as it was in there upside down.

Good Lord,Allar,that's even a bigger piece of s**t,a genuine Вача by the looks of it...
(I'm most sincerely sorry that such junk should pollute Estonia,one of the most beautiful places in the whole world...:(

If truth be known,if these were the last axes on earth,and you Really needed to use one,you could.They're easy to hang,Any wood would do,and the steel itself is ok(barring the HT,naturally:(,У7 about an analog of AISI 1070...(if you have a forge,cut them up for blade material for some decent axe).

The straight edge is for more precise woodwork,window-boxes/lintels,a form of a joiner's axe,in it's effect.The radiused one would be adequate for rougher stock-removal work.

I wish you all the best,Estonia is doing great in shaking the dust of all That off it's feet,and moving on.Soon,there'll be excellent Estonian axes around.

Agent_H
I do have an old Bilnäs which is probably finnish, no idea if it's any good or not.
Wish there was some swedish axes at the auctions, so far non ;(

Jake pogg
Haha, i guess i'll leave them as i found em.
And yeah Estonia is doing fine and not stuck in the past.

Thanks alot man!

5Jp9dVN.jpg

YRJbwz0.jpg

Agent_H
I do have an old Bilnäs which is probably finnish, no idea if it's any good or not.
Wish there was some swedish axes at the auctions, so far non ;(

Jake pogg
Haha, i guess i'll leave them as i found em.
And yeah Estonia is doing fine and not stuck in the past.

Thanks alot man!

U7L5UAE.jpg

Any chance of a Billnäs picture?

Last edited:
Allar,what you have is a quite rare,and quality axe, referred to as a Billnas Revals,or a Tallinn type.It was made by Billnas back when they were a part of Mordor,allegedly a locally preferred shape.It also was produced by the famous Ilmarine factory in Tallinn(that is a hotel-resort now?),produced well into the soviet era and even outliving it a bit.

Now,what Bob shows in those FB photos is a "Revals" at the top,and then a pair of 40.3 or similar.Also similar time,Finland occupied by Russia,producing several models of axes used in Empire.This one for the contract with the military,it two sizes,one of which (i believe) is what Agent_H has gotten a while back and so skillfully handled(in that "topor" thread).

Allar,all these are carpenter's/jointer's axes,that's just the kind of work there was most of in those days,rather than logging et c.

I took a photo of the other side and profile aswell.

Allar,unfortunately,it's worn pretty severely(a sign of a good axe on the plus side).It'd take a bit of work to restore the edge.Also,it'll never be quite like what it was,as the convergent angle has increased.But it'll still be a great tool.
(In particular i'd say for some log-building work,but much else also,no doubt).

Allar,unfortunately,it's worn pretty severely(a sign of a good axe on the plus side).It'd take a bit of work to restore the edge.Also,it'll never be quite like what it was,as the convergent angle has increased.But it'll still be a great tool.
(In particular i'd say for some log-building work,but much else also,no doubt).

I bet the Billnäs could be evened up some :thumbsup:
VrvbCUN.jpg

Fun.
Here is link to maybe match up your other marks:
http://forum.woodtools.ru/index.php?topic=47343.0

Back