What became of bg-42 steel ??

It will be a great day when I finally add a BG42 112 to the collection..but a little sad too. It's been my 'Grail' 112 for over a dozen years now and from 2009 to about 2014 I really looked hard for one. I did hold ONE in my hand in 2007 or 2008 but it was used hard and beat up. Today I would pull the blade and make the 112 I want but back then that didn't occur to me..

Those of us who made some good decisions and have some BG-42 can bask in the glow of our wisdom.

Those who maybe came along a little too late and are still looking--well, you have the joy of the hunt.

Track down and get the real deal steal.........to me, "powdered" steel was always sort of an obvious contradiction in terms.

powdered steel is far superior in every regard. not kidding. there are videos y'all can watch to understand why. heres a link to Dr. Larrins article on it.

powdered steel is far superior in every regard. not kidding. there are videos y'all can watch to understand why. heres a link to Dr. Larrins article on it.

Oh, I understand that. The opinions and videos and tests are pervasive........maybe they mean something and maybe they only show that powdered steel is more profitable and the opinion-makers support it.

(Shrug shoulders.)

But what I know for sure is just what I said:

There are words that simply do not inspire confidence.

"Bearing Grade" says "Tough and Strong."

And.........powder is something women put on their noses.

Choice of words is important.

Maybe if they'd used triturated instead of powdered?

:D

Oh, I understand that. The opinions and videos and tests are pervasive........maybe they mean something and maybe they only show that powdered steel is more profitable and the opinion-makers support it.

(Shrug shoulders.)

But what I know for sure is just what I said:

There are words that simply do not inspire confidence.

"Bearing Grade" says "Tough and Strong."

And.........powder is something women put on their noses.

Choice of words is important.

Maybe if they'd used triturated instead of powdered?

:D
its makes a better steel..that isn't opinion, its fact. it isnt debatable.

its makes a better steel..that isn't opinion, its fact. it isnt debatable.

Seems like opinion to me.

Unless you're saying that you have a reliable test of powdered BG-42 against the real BG-42 that shows powdered is "better?

Seems like opinion to me.

Unless you're saying that you have a reliable test of powdered BG-42 against the real BG-42 that shows powdered is "better?
there is testing to show exactly that. I could dig it up or you can google it. not sure you'll find bg42 vs. new version, but you'll see other steels tested that show it. im sure carpenter or whoever bought and owns Latrobe steel has this testing. otherwise they would have kept only the bg42 and not moved to a powdered version. thats speculation though.

distributing the carbides more evenly in size and even distribution makes for a more consistent and tougher steel. its a fact not my opinion. this technology isn't cheap and wasn't invented to reduce costs. it was done to provide a better steel in all applications its used for.

this technology isn't cheap and wasn't invented to reduce costs. it was done to provide a better steel in all applications its used for.

Well, maybe that's just what they want you to think. All these "tests" can be bought by large corporations to influence customers.

One thing you can count on these days is somebody trying to influence your thinking to make you spend your money--moving it from your pocket to their pocket. How do we know what "test" is reliable?

When considering any motivation, always consider the almighty PROFIT.

Here's a quote from a source admitting the real reason for powder metallurgy.

The growth of the P/M industry during the past few decades is largely attributable to the cost savings associated with net (or near-net) shape processing compared to other metalworking methods, such as casting or forging. In some cases, the conversion of a cast or wrought component to powder metal provides a cost savings of 40% or higher.

Forty percent or higher.

On the topic of somebody trying to influence your thinking to make you spend your money--moving it from your pocket to their pocket, here's a book that covers it.

FASCINATING International best selling book.

I have no dog in this fight and no need to discuss it forever........obviously opinions will vary.

But remember, all I said about this originally was that "Powder" is a poor name when you're trying to portray STRENGTH.

It does not inspire confidence. That actually IS a fact. Picture a woman powdering her nose.

The rest of the debate will probably continue forever, and will continue without me.

:)

Well, maybe that's just what they want you to think. All these "tests" can be bought by large corporations to influence customers.

One thing you can count on these days is somebody trying to influence your thinking to make you spend your money--moving it from your pocket to their pocket. How do we know what "test" is reliable?

Forty percent or higher.

On the topic of somebody trying to influence your thinking to make you spend your money--moving it from your pocket to their pocket, here's a book that covers it.

I have no dog in this fight and no need to discuss it forever........obviously opinions will vary.

But remember, all I said about this originally was that "Powder" is a poor name when you're trying to portray STRENGTH.

It does not inspire confidence. That actually IS a fact. Picture a woman powdering her nose.

The rest of the debate will probably continue forever, and will continue without me.

those quotes are referring to mim use and im talking raw steels making. powder technology can be used for mim. can also be used to make rolls and blank steel pieces different thicknesses and sizes. used in knife making which is what we are talking about in knives and steels used. knife making isn't done the same way firearms as an example does. I know firearms people dislike mim over forged and cast, mainly due to beginning issues, but some still happen.

knife making isn't using powder steels the same way.. knife making is using rolls and blanks and doing stock removal and laser cutting and edm wire and water jet etc..

I'm sticking to facts not giving an opinion. there are independent studies done outside of the steel makers that show exactly what I said.

and the term gun powder is a good name last time I looked.😁

Last edited:
I sense the presence of some chain pulling in the aether . . .
naw, we're just talking bg42 and knife making is all. chit chat on a topic for fun. nothing more.

Forty percent or higher.

Your stating exactly what your complaining about.

Forty percent or higher.

I have a rather expensive folding knife with a 3-D printed Titanium handle. It is named the Ti Dust Model implying that it is made from dust rather than powder. On the image ladder, it is lower than worm spit. Actually, it is fabricated from carefully sized micro spherules. The Ad Men don't always hit it out of the park.

I have a rather expensive folding knife with a 3-D printed Titanium handle. It is named the Ti Dust Model implying that it is made from dust rather than powder. On the image ladder, it is lower than worm spit. Actually, it is fabricated from carefully sized micro spherules. The Ad Men don't always hit it out of the park.

While American advertising is usually the ultimate in manipulative propaganda, using words like "dust" and "powder" to portray strength and toughness is clearly not carrying on that tradition.

Odd marketing.

:confused: (Shrug shoulders)

Back