What Beckers would you take on a week long canoe trip?

I feel like it's been ages since I've posted or even lurked on here. Just got done with a 2 month internship and summer classes so this is the first week I've had nothing to do.

I'm going on a week long canoe trip in the Boundary Waters and was musing about what knives to take. I'm thinking a Spyderco Delica, Bk14, Bk16, and a BK9 (or BK5 for a lighter option).

What would you take?

BK16

And a Mora Bushcraft Force.

:D

Moose

Of course I have to start out with, "It depends..." :D

Lots of folks are going to jump in here and offer BK-2, although I see no use for a heavy sharpened prybar on a canoe trip -- so disregard anything they say. :D

If you're saving weight (portaging?) I would pick a large folder and a BK15 (or 17) for camp chores and a BK5 for everything else. Most everything a 9 could do can be done by a 5, with the addition of preparing your food. It's a great compromise.

I just remembered I have a saw too, so I probably don't really need a bigger blade. But it couldn't hurt. :p

First of all, I wish I was headed there too. When we go for a multi-day paddle trip, it's BK9 and BK14. The kitchen staff carries a BK15 as well.

I say BK5.

I know everyone loves it for 'food prep', but if you're living in a backpack I have to wonder why you are carrying food so large it needs a full-size chef's knife (uncut bread loaf, mebbe?). Unless you're boning out a moose...

But I'd take that as my big knife, dunno why. 'cause I like it. :)
And a stainless folding knife that can tolerate getting soaked - maybe that's just a multi-tool on the belt.

folding saw, BK16, 12" machete (Imacasa or Ontario), multi-tool, & SAK Forrester.

I have a 14" tram, but prefer the thicker stock on the 12" models.
good choice, though - I seriously considered it.

I went on a week long canoe/portaging trip through Algonquin a couple weeks ago, I took my BK7, BK14 and a trailblazer folding buck saw. the 14 was mainly used for food duty, the bk7 was used for some batoning but mostly used for chopping off the branches and sticks from the downed trees we cut up for firewood. I used the folding buck saw to do the heavy cutting as it glides through wood like butter. I also took my leatherman wave for the tools, pliers, and a backup blade.

If it was me I would take a good multitool (such as a Leatherman Wave or ST300), a 14, and a 7. I always have a Spyderco Salt 1 clipped to my pocket in water as well, that replaced my carrying of the 14 on body.
Since you have a saw, you shouldn't need a huge blade so you can save a bit of weight for a different blade by going with the 7.
All IMO

Saw + 5 + 16 + A folder/multitool/both. I think I could get by with those and a ferro rod.:)

Back