What belts do YOU use.

Not a "what's the best" or a "this vs that "
But for us new guys and people who may search the net. It's nice to see what the veteran guys use. A pick your brain thread about belts. If you will. What do you use for hogging off material, cutting levels, refining the scratches, and importantly handles? Do you change the type of belt and the grit for wood vs g10, camel, miracta etc?
Should be interesting to see differences and patterns. Thanks for participating guys!

For high alloy steels, I've been using VSM ceramics, the 60grit post heat treat is amazing and I much prefer it to the blazes I used before. 36 grit is a toss up between VSM and Blaze, but the VSM is 2/3 the price.

X200 Norton structured ceramic abrasives are impressive if you use the right pressure.

I've heard some decent things about the VSM. Why do you like them better than the blaze though? Price vs performance kind of thing?

It seems everyone loves gators and I got the jflex for handle work and they are cheap enough to try.

Honestly I wanted to make a $100 order, for the grinder I just finished building.
I'm an amateur hobbiest at best, so I'll see how it goes. I'll probably forge 10-12 knives a year.

Last edited:
I've heard some decent things about the VSM. Why do you like them better than the blaze though? Price vs performance kind of thing?

The 36's are about the same as the Blaze, but in Canada, $9.00 compared to $13.00. The 60 grit will grind multiple z-wear blades before wearing out, where the blaze 60 just lost their grit and dulled or glazed quickly. I've used up 2 of the VSM 60 grits on my last batch, where I would have gone through 6 or 8 blazes on z-wear. They're still cutting well on regular carbon steel knives still now too, even though I'll use fresher belts on z-wear. I'll post more on them with other steels when I have more experience.

It's limited experience, but so far, with high hardness steels post heat treat, the VSM60 grit ceramic is my current favourite belt, I think I paid $8.00 each for them. (The supplier only sells them in full boxes though.)

I've been starting with blaze 36, then blaze 120, norton 240 Trizact, 400 trizact. For my handles I've been buying cheap amazon 40 grit ao belts. And just recently ordered a scotchbright to try for finishing. Been getting decent results with this. But I'm rough shaping my knives from bar stock with the 36, and they've been lasting pretty long so far.

The 36's are about the same as the Blaze, but in Canada, $9.00 compared to $13.00. The 60 grit will grind multiple z-wear blades before wearing out, where the blaze 60 just lost their grit and dulled or glazed quickly. I've used up 2 of the VSM 60 grits on my last batch, where I would have gone through 6 or 8 blazes on z-wear. They're still cutting well on regular carbon steel knives still now too, even though I'll use fresher belts on z-wear. I'll post more on them with other steels when I have more experience.

It's limited experience, but so far, with high hardness steels post heat treat, the VSM60 grit ceramic is my current favourite belt, I think I paid $8.00 each for them. (The supplier only sells them in full boxes though.)
Wow I'll order a few of those VSM for sure.
Planned on just getting a couple of each and see what works best for me

Rod ove seen some beautiful finishes with the scothbrite and even cork belts

The New VSM 885 are better then the original ones they have a finer grain structure and self sharpening feature.

Still new to this but as far as ceramics go I bought VSM. I've done 3 or 4 blades so far with my first 36 grit.

Is that what Tru grit is selling as their bargain ceramic?
Merit has the "Value Ceramic" VSM 760 and 885 are lower priced when compared to the others.

I too, like Adam, have been using the Merit ceramics for some time. Not only are they the best for the $, for me they have worked the best regardless of the $. On blades I start with a 36 then move up to 60 Merit ceramic. Then hit it with a Gator (120 grit). Merit also makes a line of A/O belts that are green in color. These are also the best A/O belts I've ever used. They last like a ceramic. I use one of these in 220 to clean up plunges etc and then Scothbrite for stainless blades. For dammy I continue with a Gator in 400 grit and then finish with one in 600 grit.

On handles its Merit exclusively. I start with a 120 ceramic and switch to 220 A/O and then 400 and then 600. I make full tang knives so I'm using these same belts to finish the tang as well.

Stainless and handle example:

TvDAVfT.jpg

Dammy example:

2nKz9f4.jpg

I'm still experimenting but so far I like 3m 984 in 36 for profiling, 60 for bevels.
Klingspor J flex120, 220, and 400 for handles and spine.
I recently got a batch of Hermes in 36 and 60 ceramic and x weight AO in 120, 220 and 400. I've yet to try the ceramic but I hate the AO belts. They don't seem to last and they gum up my platen which carves little trails in my blade. Takes hours to fix!

So much hinges on grinding style, and the material being ground. Despite the fact that I hate them because they leave that icky residue on my platen, I use Blaze belts for rough grinding, up to 120. In general, I grind high vanadium content tool steels, but not always. I run my grinder FAST, and push hard. Freehand, no push stick. Even my skinny ass can lean in hard enough to peel away steel in a hurry this way. I've tried every other coarse belt I can, and none of them work for me. I really don't get it. :confused:

3M 707's in 120, 220, and Gators sometimes, usually only if I'm doing machine finishes.

Klingspor 309's in 400 grit.

Cheap belts from Pop's for anything beyond 400.

I order from TruGrit, but I order more from Pop's. They're both fine.

They reduced the edge of the belt from digging in when you are sanding rounded surfaces, like knife handles. I don't use them to hog off the initial shape, just to smooth the inner curves and refine the finish on handles. I love them. You can also split your own belts, to get the smaller width (which is also advantageous for handle work), but scalloping them may prove tricky. So I just order them. They last me a while, since they are not used to remove a lot of material, and they are on the higher grit spectrum (I use 120, 220, 400, and sometimes 600) I hand sand to finalize.

Ha! I can't help but laugh at myself while reading this thread. I use a Craftsman 2x42 with 50 grit and 80 grit belts I buy at Sears. I don't think I'll be appearing on "Forged in Fire" anytime soon. ;)

Back