What blade length is legal in all 50 states?

I do a lot of road trips and long distance hiking. I also have tons of knives. I'm trying to figure out what knives are legal for me to bring with me pretty much everywhere I go. Granted I know I'm not suppose to walk into an airport, a school, the White House, etc. with a knife. I'm just talking traveling from state to state, and walking around and I would not try to go to places with metal detectors or restrictions. I know some states (New Jersey) a police officer may not like the fact that you are carrying a knife and will take it away from you. I'm OK with a possible loss of a blade, however I don't want anything that will get me in serious legal trouble.

Here are the 3 knives I like to bring with me.

1) The everyday inside the pocket carry folder. I'm under the impression that as long as your not doing anything stupid, having a non assisted folder with a 2.5" blade or less is pretty much legal almost everywhere. Is this correct?

2) Trunk of the car fixed blade knife. A just in case fixed blade that will live the trunk of a car ( or in the storage area under the cargo floor of an SUV or minivan), and never see the light of day unless something crazy happens. Is this possible? If so is there a blade length limit?

3) Backpack knife for hiking in the woods. I hike a lot, and I know some hippie hikers get real spooked by anyone carry even a small Mora knife on the pack straps. I'm also not one of these guys who goes into a 20 acre state park and needs to carry a Foot long survival knife for batoning sequoia logs and fighting off grizzlies. I just want to carry a basic camp/bushcraft knife for everything from food prep, messing with wood, to last ditch self defense. It will be somewhere on or in my pack, concealed but somewhat easy to get to. So if I was hiking every major trail in the USA (we can exclude anything in cities like NYC, DC, etc), crossing state lines during my hike, entering national parks, etc. what is the max blade length I can bring. I heard the John Muir Trail restricts you to less that 3.5". I'm was hoping for something between 4" and 5", but do I need to go smaller?

Also if there are technicalities that would help let me know. Like I would have less problems with a multi-tool knife instead of a folder, or I should have ones of those sharpened chisel shaped "rescue tools" in my trunk instead of a knife.

Last edited:
I recently did a list like this for just switchblades (http://weaponlaws.wikidot.com/us-switchblade-laws), but as stated in another thread, it would be not only difficult, but irresponsible to try a similar list for non-auto knives. The laws of the individual states regarding folders and fixed blades often very complicated, to the point that this sub-forum routinely has whole threads devoted to figuring out just one state. And given that most states do not have preemption statutes on knives, it makes any city you pass through a possible problem if it has tighter restrictions.

To answer your specific questions:

1) Usually yes, but it would be irresponsible to assume it's always 100% correct. Like you even stated yourself there are places like New Jersey, Philadelphia or San Antonio, TX where any knife is potentially a problem.
2) So far in my review of case laws (not to brag, but I have read at least 2 cases from each of the 50 states and DC) I have yet to see a fixed blade or folder being in the [non-passenger-accessible] trunk considered as "carry." The closest I have ever seen to this being a problem is when the cops are looking for an excuse based on some other criminal action (felon, warrants, insanity) on the driver's part and try to weasel this in, but in each case the charge was thrown out.
3) I cannot answer this definitively nor can anyone else. I can only say that inside the pack is unlikely to ever be a problem unless you break the law and get a cop searching you, and even then in most (but not all) jurisdictions, packed down deep the backpack is not considered "readily accessible" and therefore not illegal carry even if carry on the person would normally be regulated.

It just makes me sick of all the law enforcement resources wasted trying to bring cases against law abiding citizens on the length of a pocket knife !! One would think legislators could find something more important to do with their time.

It's almost impossible to give you an answer that be 100% correct, you can find out Federal and State laws with some ease. But than you have to add in local laws as well it just gets overly complicated. So the question will probably come down to not whats 100% legal, but what is the most legal knife I can carry and least likely to cause me trouble. I also find a lot of places flat out ban fixed blades, switchblades, butterfly knives, daggers, gravity blades, etc at the local level even if the state law doesn't so I wouldn't be carrying a fixed blade without checking the state and local law first.

So I would personally work with the most restrictive knife laws I could find and go from there, and in my local area that is a 2.5in blade limit for entering government buildings such as police stations, post offices, etc. And I would probably carry an SAK as they are seen as tools more than weapons by just about everyone, so it's a lot easier to talk to cops if they do end up finding a knife on you. If you really wanted to make sure that cops can't pull that the knife is readily accessible or any of that BS get a car gun safe and put it in the trunk along with all the knives your not carrying. And personally I would buy one anyway just to store your valuables and have it bolted down or secured with a cable just so it's harder for someone to make off with your valuables if someone breaks into your car.

Ive always carried a svord peasant friction folder on road trips and its never offended anyone :) but the tomahawk is in the trunk just in case!

It's almost impossible to give you an answer that be 100% correct, you can find out Federal and State laws with some ease. But than you have to add in local laws as well it just gets overly complicated. So the question will probably come down to not whats 100% legal, but what is the most legal knife I can carry and least likely to cause me trouble. I also find a lot of places flat out ban fixed blades, switchblades, butterfly knives, daggers, gravity blades, etc at the local level even if the state law doesn't so I wouldn't be carrying a fixed blade without checking the state and local law first.

So I would personally work with the most restrictive knife laws I could find and go from there, and in my local area that is a 2.5in blade limit for entering government buildings such as police stations, post offices, etc. And I would probably carry an SAK as they are seen as tools more than weapons by just about everyone, so it's a lot easier to talk to cops if they do end up finding a knife on you. If you really wanted to make sure that cops can't pull that the knife is readily accessible or any of that BS get a car gun safe and put it in the trunk along with all the knives your not carrying. And personally I would buy one anyway just to store your valuables and have it bolted down or secured with a cable just so it's harder for someone to make off with your valuables if someone breaks into your car.

IANAL, but I think Bob6794 covered most of it.
1) For EDC, a sub-2.5 inch non-locking knife i.e. SAK or a traditional folder since they're not really considered "weapons" by the general public. Don't spend too much money since the rent-a-cops are often bound by corporate policy as well as local laws, and can be unpredictable about personal cutlery.
2) You should have a cabled travel safe anyway like a Gunvault nano to keep stuff from disappearing out of your hotel room.
3) I've never heard of a blade length restriction in the bush, but it's been a couple of years since I've backpacked. It would be hard to argue against a Mora Companion or 510 clipped to your belt. Just keep it buried in the pack till you get to the trailhead. I always kept a knife, fire kit, compass, and whistle on my person in case I had to drop the pack during a river crossing.
4) Appropriate knife in toolbox, along with wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, etc., is a legit tool. If in doubt, get a 25mm Olfa (snap-off) knife and a short prybar in place of a FB.
5) A resqme or life hammer in an accessible place in the car is a good idea period. I carry an easily accessible centerpunch in my car. From personal experience, getting rear ended can readily jam the car doors shut.

I do a lot of road trips and long distance hiking. I also have tons of knives. I'm trying to figure out what knives are legal for me to bring with me pretty much everywhere I go. Granted I know I'm not suppose to walk into an airport, a school, the White House, etc. with a knife. I'm just talking traveling from state to state, and walking around and I would not try to go to places with metal detectors or restrictions. I know some states (New Jersey) a police officer may not like the fact that you are carrying a knife and will take it away from you. I'm OK with a possible loss of a blade, however I don't want anything that will get me in serious legal trouble.

Here are the 3 knives I like to bring with me.

1) The everyday inside the pocket carry folder. I'm under the impression that as long as your not doing anything stupid, having a non assisted folder with a 2.5" blade or less is pretty much legal almost everywhere. Is this correct?

2) Trunk of the car fixed blade knife. A just in case fixed blade that will live the trunk of a car ( or in the storage area under the cargo floor of an SUV or minivan), and never see the light of day unless something crazy happens. Is this possible? If so is there a blade length limit?

3) Backpack knife for hiking in the woods. I hike a lot, and I know some hippie hikers get real spooked by anyone carry even a small Mora knife on the pack straps. I'm also not one of these guys who goes into a 20 acre state park and needs to carry a Foot long survival knife for batoning sequoia logs and fighting off grizzlies. I just want to carry a basic camp/bushcraft knife for everything from food prep, messing with wood, to last ditch self defense. It will be somewhere on or in my pack, concealed but somewhat easy to get to. So if I was hiking every major trail in the USA (we can exclude anything in cities like NYC, DC, etc), crossing state lines during my hike, entering national parks, etc. what is the max blade length I can bring. I heard the John Muir Trail restricts you to less that 3.5". I'm was hoping for something between 4" and 5", but do I need to go smaller?

Also if there are technicalities that would help let me know. Like I would have less problems with a multi-tool knife instead of a folder, or I should have ones of those sharpened chisel shaped "rescue tools" in my trunk instead of a knife.

I guess I missed the 3.5" restriction on the John Muir trail. I had a SHBM with me, strapped to the pack.

Come to think of it, my G-29 was with me also. I always pack bear, and two legged repellent. Deet is a given. :)

I have also been doing some research on this and was wanting to get an inevxpensive knife that I can throw in a suitcase and take with me when I fly.

My conclusion, and please correct me if I am wrong. That in the US if you have a folding knife with less than a 2.5" blade, that has no lock and is not capable of being opened one handed you will be fine any place you go.

I have also been doing some research on this and was wanting to get an inexpensive knife that I can throw in a suitcase and take with me when I fly.

My conclusion, and please correct me if I am wrong. That in the US if you have a folding knife with less than a 2.5" blade, that has no lock and is not capable of being opened one handed you will be fine any place you go.

99% true. While extremely rare, there are places in the US where any knife carry is illegal, period. For example, in Philadelphia you cannot carry any knife at all unless it is directly related to your occupation and you are at, going to, or from that occupation at the time of the arrest. The are also schools, courthouses, airport and certain federal lands (normally 2.5" is fine for fed land, but some have a total ban, albeit they are required to have signs stating this).

99% true. While extremely rare, there are places in the US where any knife carry is illegal, period. For example, in Philadelphia you cannot carry any knife at all unless it is directly related to your occupation and you are at, going to, or from that occupation at the time of the arrest. The are also schools, courthouses, airport and certain federal lands (normally 2.5" is fine for fed land, but some have a total ban, albeit they are required to have signs stating this).

I find this funny, because I was born and raised in Philly, and the pocket knives, throwing stars, and other crap I carried around as a minor was insane. I still go there every once and a while for family stuff, and I use to always carry a pocket knife. PA as a state is real lax with pocket knife laws. With no blade length restrictions, pretty much if you can get it in your pocket you are good to go. So instead of carrying a 3" folder in my pocket when I go into Philly, I'll just do the legal thing and with my PA CHL carry my handgun instead. :rolleyes:

I actually started this thread in part because of a friend of a friend who is a resident of Delaware and was helping a friend move into her new home in New Jersey. Towards the end of the day he was using his folder to help open boxes for various household items. Then exhausted he jumped in his car and stuck the folder in the cup holder in his console. Mind you this wasn't a large, scary, assisted opening tactical blade, but a small knife with a finger nail notch, similar to the old school boyscout knives or something made by Case. Guy gets pulled over doing 10 miles over the speed limit on a residential street not to far from his friends home. The cop barely got out asking for his license and registration, when he put his hand on his gun and asked this guy to step out of the car, as if he just noticed the dead hooker and the kilo of Cocaine sitting in that console cup holder.

This guy was actually arrested, thrown in the patrol car, taken back to the police station, where there was a full blown "investigation and interrogation." 3 hours later he was released, dropping any charges since he use the knife as part of the job of helping his friend move. Even with that the police still confiscated the knife and refuse to give it back.

Places like Philly, NYC, and NJ are just weird with their knife laws. Its a complete waste of police resources harassing people with simple pocket knives , while real crime gets ignored.

Back