What Brand of Shoes/Boots Do You Wear?

I've been wearing Vans for years but I really need to switch to something more supportive and comfortable. I like the simple look of Vans and Converse for informal settings but they're pretty crap overall. What do you like?

Allen Edmonds usually for dress shoes, but I have a few different brands.

Ariat for cowboy boots.
Reef for flip flops.
And I have a single pair of Nike sneakers.

What do I have on right this moment? Allen Edmond's Clifton

Not my picture, but same exact shoe.
464998837_tp.jpg

Allen Edmonds usually for dress shoes, but I have a few different brands.

Was just gonna mention this, though I do not own a pair. There's nothing like a pair of shell cordovan leather shoes. Be prepared to pay $$$$$.

That said, one of the last great USA manufactured shoe makers out there right now is Walk Over. I wear a pair of oxfords from that company.

Red-wing boots or flip flops 98% of the time. I know it sounds like an ad, but its been true for a few years now.

Lately I've been wearing mostly dressy work boot inspired mid height lacers with Superfeet insoles for business casual. I have found those to be extremely supportive, comfortable and long wearing. I used to wear mostly cowboy boots from various makers including customs but even the customs can't match the support of the lacers. I rotate similar boots from Frye, Chippewa and Red Wing. Look up Frye Arkansas, Chippewa Service Boots (or LL Bean Katahdin) and Red Wing Iron Rangers to see what I am talking about as they are all basically dressy work boots of similar style.

I have never had much luck with Vans, they always just fell to bits on me in short order. I have always just worn Etnies, calicut or similar, and still wear them to this day. As for boots I usually wear Han-Wag or Lowa, I personally prefer Han-Wag but I guess they will be pretty expensive outside Europe so there are probably beter choices for quality boots within the US. :)

Blundstone 505s with Superfeet insoles. For a more classy look, Blundstone Cuthbertsons. Brown so you can wear them with blue jeans, navy chinos, or khakis.

ClickHandler.ashx

Cuthbertson
ClickHandler.ashx

Zieg

L.L. Bean Ranger Mocs daily, Keen Portlands for work, Keen for running, and none in the woods (and wherever else shoes are unnecessary ).

Last edited:
Merrells all the way. Previously I had bough cheap shoes and expensive shows and my fee always hurt. I thought it was just because I am old and fat. My wife got me my first Merrels and my feet stopped hurting. I speak for a living so I am often on my feet all days.

Merrells are magic and it is all I buy now.

Even my garden shoes are my old beat up Merrells. :)

Merrells all the way. Previously I had bough cheap shoes and expensive shows and my fee always hurt. I thought it was just because I am old and fat. My wife got me my first Merrels and my feet stopped hurting. I speak for a living so I am often on my feet all days.

Merrells are magic and it is all I buy now.

Even my garden shoes are my old beat up Merrells. :)

All Merrell, all the time. Anything else hurts my heels!

I used to like Keen, but the company was sold and the quality went through the floor. Lately Merrils have been doing the job, we will see how they hold up.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Courtland Boots(very classy)
Wolverine Red Tooth 6-inch mid boot(very light)
Bates 9-inch Gore-Tex Boot(very comfortable)

Most of my work boots are Danner, I have a couple Redwings also. For hiking I like Asolo's but they are quite narrow so not that many pairs fit my wide foot even in wide widths. I agree with others, for around town and most of the other times not working I like Merrells, easy on and off and quite comfortable. I've never bit the bullet myself but lots of people swear by Whites boots.

Blundstone 505s with Superfeet insoles. For a more classy look, Blundstone Cuthbertsons. Brown so you can wear them with blue jeans, navy chinos, or khakis.

ClickHandler.ashx

Cuthbertson
ClickHandler.ashx

Zieg

+1, Blunnies are good- I use the 500 classic and the 550. But, the quality seems to have slipped now they are outsourced. Rossi are a great alternative, classy, but tough. Boots for all seasons and occasions.

I'm a big fan of Rockport shoes. I wish they made more stylish designs in a wide width that don't look like "old man's shoes".

When I feel I need them, I have a pair of 6" Irish Setter hard toe boots that I find comfortable and do the job.

"Tennis shoes"... New Balance walkers or something like that.

Been wearing some slip on Crocs (canvas) that I bought at Bass Pro that I really like for bumming around.

Hiking... Merrills.

As a minimalist runner, I generally only wear zero drop and barefoot style shoes.

My go to business/casual shoe: Merrell reach glove or radius glove
Running shoes (could work as casual shoes): Brooks pureproject line (pureflow, puregrit)

Also, vibram five fingers but I don't recommend them for out and about wear. Still get a lot of, "hey, look at that guy's shoes!" <--This gets old.

Back