What Brought You To JK Handmade Knives?

I bought a Hiker on the secondary market. A little research led me to this guy using the name Stomper........years later I'm still a fan of the Hiker.

I’m reading through older threads and came across this one.

I was looking for a B&T and was having trouble finding something that really appealed to me. I came across a post (might have been on BF) where someone showed off their JK B&T which I thought looked perfect for what I wanted.

My order is in and now I am patiently waiting for February to roll around...

Very cool. I was in a Kephart knife phase, and I probably still am, I'm just not buying anymore, and John had a special on his version. That let to the straightback Element, 2 different Hurley Creek variations, and then our collaboration after appreciating his work and my desire to get back into product development.

I also bought a few he had listed for sale, and then more recently some 2nd hand off the forum. As much as I love micarta in use, I really like the finish he does on wood. It actually has good grip still, and that is something I really don't like on a lot of other wood handled knives.

I’m excited to see what your collaboration yields.

I’ve got a few orders in now based on reviewing the various threads. I may pick up one that John lists for sale in January (February seems too far away).

Last edited:
Probably the Hudson Bay knife caught my eye, then his Kepharts. It was the classic looks and great lines that made them look so useful, and his heat treating of 01 that he is known for started it for me.

Probably the Hudson Bay knife caught my eye, then his Kepharts. It was the classic looks and great lines that made them look so useful, and his heat treating of 01 that he is known for started it for me.

I definitely plan on getting a Kephart. The Hudson Bay looks great as well.

I became associated with JK knives as a social invitee. I attended one of a John's gatherings and was very interested in the knives he was making. Over the years I have purchased 8 of John's knives, including a serial number 1. I have never been disappointed. John's knives are easy to keep sharp and are virtually indestructible. He has great designs and uses excellent materials. I love that you can customize anything on the design. I typically specify handle materials and liners but you can change the shape or length of the blade. I hope there will be camping trips or gatherings in the future. It's fun to see other people's versions of John's knives and to show off the ones I have commissioned.

A long time ago when I first got on blade I stumbled across johns knives and really loved the look and what I had heard about them. Fast forward to not that long ago and I was looking for a EDC fixed blade. After a lot of looking something happened and I remembered there was a guy on bladeforums who did custom knives and he might have something to fill my needs. I was going through the sub forums And once I ran through the picture thread and realized John was the guy I saw years ago but couldn’t afford one at the time I started checking out the models. Fast forward to now and I have 3 E01 Hunters and 13 Jk knives.

Back