What Buck are you carrying today?

This new to me 4-Dot V7V1 (1981-1983)

FS_110_V7V1(1).jpg

Last edited:
I usually carry the brass trimmed 703, sometimes the older 303. If I’m rememberizing correctly, these were done by Camillus? The 703 is one of my favorite Buck models. A forum knife with upgraded steel and maybe in stag would be fantastic. I’m still working on getting one from each year of production. Still have a few to go. Getting harder to find with a reasonable price.🤓

DA345F65-A4F4-4EB7-8149-49612C0649F1.jpeg

I usually carry the brass trimmed 703, sometimes the older 303. If I’m rememberizing correctly, these were done by Camillus? The 703 is one of my favorite Buck models. A forum knife with upgraded steel and maybe in stag would be fantastic. I’m still working on getting one from each year of production. Still have a few to go. Getting harder to find with a reasonable price.🤓

View attachment 1633210
Pretty cool :cool:

I don't believe I've ever seen a brass 700 series knife before :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nice set Joe! I've managed to find the 703 (1986), 704 (1987) and 705 (1986) in brass, but the 709 and 701 have eluded me...so far. About 10 years ago, Joe Houser wrote this:

"I checked and we only made about 1500 of the 704 with brass bolsters. Same quantity of 703's. The whole herd of 700's were offered in brass for a short while but they never appeared in a Buck catalog. I dont have any info on the one you have with the logo on the wood side. that 1500 of 703's and 701's were made and similar numbers of the other three."

They seem to be rare, but obtainable if you have patience. All of mine show some wear and seemed to have been carried. So I'm thinking they might not have been scooped up by collectors and preserved, back in the day.

Nice set Joe! I've managed to find the 703 (1986), 704 (1987) and 705 (1986) in brass, but the 709 and 701 have eluded me...so far. About 10 years ago, Joe Houser wrote this:

"I checked and we only made about 1500 of the 704 with brass bolsters. Same quantity of 703's. The whole herd of 700's were offered in brass for a short while but they never appeared in a Buck catalog. I dont have any info on the one you have with the logo on the wood side. that 1500 of 703's and 701's were made and similar numbers of the other three."

They seem to be rare, but obtainable if you have patience. All of mine show some wear and seemed to have been carried. So I'm thinking they might not have been scooped up by collectors and preserved, back in the day.
Awesome info. In the grand scheme of things, that’s a pretty low production run of each model. I’m still looking too! About the only place I know to watch is the auction site and here, so……keep an eye out. 👍🏻

Last edited:
Kudos to you!!!!!!
Thanks, I have bought custom knives before with the intent of using them. Some how I find a reason to leave it home and pack my favorite, trusty old 118.
Craig DOGPOUND77 DOGPOUND77 gifted me the parts(thanks Craig) and I had Leroy build it with the Lucite handle to resemble the older Buck knives. It feels good to carry and use it.

Back