Photos What can you tell me about this kinfe? Klaas Solingen Germany

I bought this knife at a garage sale. I don't know much about it as I can't find the same exact blade mark on the internet anywhere. It is made by Klaas Solingen in Germany and has a nice antler handle. To me it looks quite old? How old might it be? What type of a knife is it? It has clearly seen much use and appears to be bent and pitted. Any info anyone can shed would be greatly appreciated
KadG25C.jpg

W9SDIMO.jpg
dtWjMU2.jpg
b9b42e78-40a5-4f23-9234-3db66fb8c710
YjRdXja.jpg

Welcome to BFs.

Robert Klaas is a well known name in knife making out of Solingen Germany. He also owns (or did own, not sure now) Kissing Crane and Hen & Rooster among other brands. No clue on age. After a quick search, I didn't find anything about a makers mark and production date(s).

Someone smarter then me will know more. You could always try to email Robert Klaas (google "Robert Klaas Solingen Germany"), send the pics, and see if they will date if for you.

That is a beauty of a knife.

Last edited:
Welcome to BFs.

Robert Klaas is a well known name in knife making out of Solingen Germany. He also owns (or did own, not sure now) Kissing Crane and Hen & Rooster among other brands. No clue on age. After a quick search, I didn't find anything about a makers mark and production date(s).

Someone smarter then me will know more.

That is a beauty of a knife.
I don’t think he owns Hen & Rooster any more. Not sure about Kissing Crane either.

I would guess that it is one of the millions that came back to the USA after WWII. My father was stationed in Germany around 1950, and the knife manufacturing to sell to the military guys was off the charts. Plentiful, cheap, pretty, fairly well made (not a fan of bent sheet metal guards) they were brought back by the footlocker load. They had thin leather sheaths with some stampings on them of a name, a stag head, a logo, etc. and almost all the sheaths were "universal". My Dad told me the he never saw the factory where his were made, but he and his other GI buddies felt like it was a stamp on the blade and markings on the sheath that made them be able to tell them apart.

My own father brought back a large "professional hunter's set". (I would guess that means different things to different people!) It had a large knife in the back and a small knife on the front. One was for chopping, one for skinning. This is from the internet:

1488246116_51_992_1.jpg

Note the similarity in construction to what you have, even though they are "EDGE" brand. I have the kissing cousin to this setup. When he returned from Germany the last time, he had purchased 4 sets for gifts. They weren't all the same maker, but if you didn't look at the markings, you would have sworn they were. After looking at hundreds of these at guns shows over the last 40 years, they all look the same to me! Look at the pommel, and I'd bet that you find a slotted nut that goes into the aluminum to secure the handle onto the threaded tang of the blade.

More cousins on Google Images: https://tinyurl.com/y4pjmluf Note the same theme; sheet metal guard, stag handles, and similar shaped blades. Although these blades are mostly carbon steel, they were polished to an absolute mirror finish like most of the knives at that time were.

There is no way to know if that knife was originally shaped that way. Maybe, but I doubt it. Like my uncles did with the knives my father gifted them, they used the absolute hell out of them, ground them on anything handy, and the bigger knives were considered utility camp/hunting pieces. My grandfather ground both knives in his set to a nub over a period of about 20 years of using it every hunting season.

Bet the one you have would be a nice restoration project and still give years of service to someone.

Robert

Back