What ceremony is the Bagh Bhairab used in?

It's always referred to as a ceremonial khukuri, but none of the threads mention what ceremony or ceremonies...

Good question. I always assumed they used it during Dasein to dispatch the sacrificial goat or water buffalo.

kamagong said:
Good question. I always assumed they used it during Dasein to dispatch the sacrificial goat or water buffalo.

That was my understanding. There are a whole class of knives for goat sized creatures: the HI Bag Bhairab at 22-23" and 25" Father AK, the 20" KH Khasi Maara, the NKH Long Dragon at 26", and personally I think the HI 20" Junges, 20" Samshers and 21-22" Dui Chirra's (Berks special) fall into the same group.

Norm

IIRC Sgt. Karka used a 22" GRS to behead the goat during the ceremony that Uncle Bill attended.

Bob

I choose not to think of my favorite blades as Goat Knives. Goats normally get their throats slit and are hung to drain. The idea of beheading a goat is strange- a strange goat logic.

Now, beheading a water buffalo- now we're talking.

munk

munk said:
I choose not to think of my favorite blades as Goat Knives. Goats normally get their throats slit and are hung to drain. The idea of beheading a goat is strange- a strange goat logic.

Now, beheading a water buffalo- now we're talking.

munk

Dave has the knife for that as I recall. (-:

Norm

Big Bob said:
IIRC Sgt. Karka used a 22" GRS to behead the goat during the ceremony that Uncle Bill attended.

Bob
Of course, don't know how I could have overlooked that model. That would do the trick nicely.

Norm

Prajwal the fellow who used to sell the Bonecutters said they were used during Dasein(sp?) to either kill (the big ones) or cut the limbs off the already killed goats.

However Praj told me not to try it because he had seen people not do it just perfect and it wasn't a pretty sight.

bc1.jpg

Hindus cut they head off all the animals they eat with one blow, to meerly cut there throat is repelent to there religion & concept of life..

Spiral

The Bagh Bhairab is a Ceremonial Knife that is used once a year as a sacrificial knife in a Hindu Temple. These knives, made by our Shop, are replicas of those ceremonial knives and do make a nice addition to any collection at a most reasonable price.

Back