what cold steel do you carry?

And occasionally this behemoth.

My spearfishing companion.

Me (Left), my Dad, my Brother.

Last edited:
Normally around town i carry an older style Voyager 3" tanto non serrated with the metal clip. I actually prefer the older style clips that were a part of the handle and have at least 1 each or the Voyager 3,4,and 5" blades both clip point and tanto.. all non serrated. I also prefer the older style Voyager handles compared to the new style. If i'm cutting grass of working in the yard, i carry an older 6" Vaquero that originally had a serrated blade, but i ground that off. I've been buying CS since the days when they had a VHS demo video and have many folders and fixed blades by them.... maybe 20 that are are at least 13+ yrs old not to mention the knives i've bought since then. My only gripe with CS is the "inevitable things go down in quality with time".... knives that were Carbon V are now 420 stainless or were AUS8A are now lesser. Maybe CS makes a dollar or 2 more per knife now, but i'm will to pay almost twice the original price of a Voyager with the old style plastic belt clip built into the handle. I would prefer to say " i have a collection of CS knives".... not "I have a collection of the OLDER CS knives". Anyways i'm still buying CS knives so you haven't lost me as a customer.

knives that were Carbon V are now 420 stainless or were AUS8A are now lesser.

What Carbon V knives are now 420 stainless? Does CS even make ANYTHING in 420 stainless? I think the closest they get to that is the Krupp 4116 in their budget line of small fixed blades(Canadian Belt Knife, Finn Bear, Roach Belly) that are available for less than $10 at many places. And what AUS8 knives are now lesser, AUS8 is still the steel they use more than anything. Aside from those 2 steels, they pretty much only use San Mai, 1055(mostly in their machetes), SK-5(THIS is what a lot of the old Carbon V knives are now, not 420 stainless), with a couple of new offerings in O1 and CPM3V

i'm cutting and pasting from ebay listings to save typing...
COLD STEEL ®
RECON TANTO
• 7'' blade w/classic Tanto styling • AUS8A stainless steel • Reinforced point • Comfortable, western style Kraton ® handle • Secure-Ex sheath included • Blade: 7'' • O.A.L.: 11-3/4'' • 9 oz.
Cold Steel model 13RTK......................this used to be caqrbon V
Cold Steel 13RTK Stainless Black Recon Tanto Fixed Knife W/ Secure-Ex Sheath 7"

Over the last 20 years, Cold Steel has succeeded in establishing the Tanto as a superior combat blade. The value of the Tanto styled reinforced point is now without question. Their superb Japanese Tantos are still unsurpassed for fit and finish, but are expensive, and beyond the financial reach of many knife enthusiasts. Their Recon Tanto has combined a 7" blade, classic Tanto styling, AUS 8A Stainless steel and a comfortable, western-style Kray-Ex handle into an affordable package. The Recon Tanto is rapidly redefining the standard for combat knives around the globe. It is well on its way to becoming the preferred fixed blade for SWAT teams and special military units. Experience the extraordinary quality and test the distinctive razor sharp edge for yourself and you will see why, as a professional, this is a unique knife you can’t afford to be without! Blade Length 7". Overall Length 11 3/4". Japanese Aus 8A Stainless Steel w/ Black Tuff-Ex Finish. Weight 9 oz. Blade Thickness 3/16". Handle 4 3/4" Long Kray-Ex. Sheath Secure-Ex Sheath. eCop! Thanks you for your business. MPN: CS-13RTK..... another similar listing
RECON TANTO RETAILS FOR $135

Specifications:
Blade Length: 7"
Overall Length:11 3/4"
Steel: Japanese Aus 8A Stainless w/ Black Tuff-Ex Finish
Weight:9 oz
Blade Thickness: 3/16"
Handle:4 3/4" Long Kray-Ex™
Cold Steel CSCS38CK Knives Fixed Knife Kraton/Rubber Handle Srk Survival Rescue

Cold Steel knives. Cold Steel SRK.(Survival Rescue Knife). 10 3/4" overall. 6" black epoxy powder coated AUS-8A steel clip blade This usded to be Carbon V
Cold Steel Peace Keeper II, Kraton Handle, Secure-Ex Sheath

Cold Steel Peace Keeper 2 Knife 5-1/2" Double Edge 420 Stainless Steel Spear Point Blade Kraton Handle Black with Secure-Ex Sheath

The Cold Steel Peace Keeper II, Cold Steel's double edged knife that performs like nothing you've seen before. Unlike most boot knives and daggers, the Peace Keeper's™ spear point offers considerable resistance to bending or breaking. Made of super tough 4116 Krupp stainless with a sub zero quench, and treated with Cold Steel's custom heat treatment, the Peace Keeper™ offer the utmost in strength, toughness, and superior edge
I have both the longer and shorter versions in Carbon V
OK maybe i said that wrong... about carbon V now being 420 but some of what they made in carbon V is now AUS8A.... i'll have to go back to old catologs to see when they did start using 420 in knives, but the older cataloges never had any 420. I have the original Recon Tanto, SRK, Peacekeepers in Carbon V plus some stuff they don't make anymore like a Culloden... full size not the mini (have 2). Don't take me as an opponent of CS... i have lots of their stuff and am still buying more... 3 Roach bellies, a Secret Edge, and maybe 5 machetes in the past 3 months and i own 20 of their machetes(some duplicates) all bought in the past 16 months.

For TARAKA
I'm surprised you paid that much for a gurka... check ebay.. might get one for maybe 150$ US in the Carbon V or you can get a Cold Steel Kukri Machete 97KMS that's a similar blade in 1055 carbon steel kmS... the S means with a sheath for 22$ with free shipping. 1055 is a good steel for rough use and would save you a lot of money.

OK maybe i said that wrong... about carbon V now being 420 but some of what they made in carbon V is now AUS8A.... i'll have to go back to old catologs to see when they did start using 420 in knives, but the older cataloges never had any 420.

The newer catalogs don't have 420 in their listings either. Generally speaking, it's really not a good idea to rely on Ebay for your info either, they routinely list both false information AND counterfeits. The Peace Keeper 2 is one of their Krupp 4116 blades, and it's not even in production anymore. 4116 may be close to 420, but it's not exactly the same.

Have the voyager xl vaquero, don't carry it often lol. I do carry my mini ak47 new style. And just ordered the voyager large clip point! I love those darn voyagers!!!

I have Cold Steel catalogs going back to the 2000 Special Projects catalog. I wasn't relying on Ebay for my info.. just cut and pasted some info to save a lot of typing. In the 2000 Spring issue, they only listed 5 metals inside on page 5.... Carbon V, AUS8A, AUS10A, Sam Mai III and 5150. Looking through it shows the Bushman is made of SK5 and some of the mini neck type knives either say 400 series or AUS6A. The Spring 2001 Special Projects lists 420 in the metal list on page 4. I can't locate the fall 2000, so anyways that's around when 420 first appeared. As for the Peace Keepers... the Spring 2000 only lists Carbon V. Spring 2001 listes them in either 420 or Carbon V, Fall 2002 only lists them in 420. I have both sizes in the Carbon V.

I have Cold Steel catalogs going back to the 2000 Special Projects catalog. I wasn't relying on Ebay for my info.. just cut and pasted some info to save a lot of typing. In the 2000 Spring issue, they only listed 5 metals inside on page 5.... Carbon V, AUS8A, AUS10A, Sam Mai III and 5150. Looking through it shows the Bushman is made of SK5 and some of the mini neck type knives either say 400 series or AUS6A. The Spring 2001 Special Projects lists 420 in the metal list on page 4. I can't locate the fall 2000, so anyways that's around when 420 first appeared. As for the Peace Keepers... the Spring 2000 only lists Carbon V. Spring 2001 listes them in either 420 or Carbon V, Fall 2002 only lists them in 420. I have both sizes in the Carbon V.

Oh, I thought we were talking the newer catalogs, not catalogs over a decade old.

I'll be honest, the Tuff-Lite that I have been carrying pretty non-stop since I got it, is one fantastic EDC/Utility blade. At Christmas it was being passed around to open boxes, cut off tags, open some bacon packs and just assorted other cutting tasks. My brother in law is a Federal Agent and called me last night to say he just picked up one, he liked it so much.

My Roach Belly stays in my backpack for minor food prep at work. Cutting lemons and such. Didn't buy it for that purpose, but it found a home there.

An XL Voyager tanto goes in my back pocket. 5.5" is state law max length. Convenient! This one I carry because I live and work in a downtown metro area and often find myself walking home at midnight.

Just a couple of weeks ago I purchased an American Lawman that I just can't seem to get out of my front pocket. It's as though all of my other knives just kind of melded together and became this chunk of awesome.

I also have a new AK-47 that's the only knife I'll carry by itself. If I'm popping out to the store I don't bother with anything but this one.

So yeah, I carry a few. Next time my bank account recharges I'll be adding a Code 4 (probably tanto) to the mix. Choices... choices...

I carry the only one I own. The American Lawman.

photo-1-3.jpg

photo-2-3.jpg

Stripped it though.

photo-5-2.jpg

Oh, I thought we were talking the newer catalogs, not catalogs over a decade old.

I did say about 20 of my CS knives are 13+ yrs old. I only have CS catalogs 2000 and newer... i was buying CS from other places for a few yrs before contacting CS to get their full catalog and bought directly from them, so i am familar with changes over the yrs. If you haven't seen their old VHS demo tape... it's worth a watch. Just a guy with a Recon Tanto hacking through a bunch of 2x4's and then making at least 100 cuts in manila rope then shaving his arm.... maybe it was 200 cuts, been so long since i watched it but still have the tape.

Kobun on one of my boots, and a Peacemaker in my briefcase. Thinking about getting a Voyager 4" Clip point in the near future.

I usually carry a mackinac hunter with g10 scales I made.

I think this needs pictures. You can't just throw out "Mackinac" and "G10 scales" without giving us some pictures!

I have been thinking of getting a set (Lone Star and the Mackinac) and making Elk scales.

Frequently carry a Black Rhino, or Recon1 (both an older zytel handled tanto, and the new clip point with G10 scales).

Back