What did I just get for Christmas?!

I was blown away yesterday by what I got from my mother-in-law for Christmas, from one day of looking at Randall Made's, I believe it to be an early 70's(being stamped with a name and 1972 helped) #1 Fighter. It was given to me in this display case, from the looks of it I believe it has spent it's entire life in this case. There was no sheath with it, from what I've read, it would take me sending Randall Made the knife so they could make a replacement sheath.

My mother-in-law found this at an estate sale and this was just one knife out of an assortment of maybe up to 6 or 7 knives.

Any help in confirmation of my thoughts or straightening me out would be appreciated, thanks.

f3MUEcF.jpg

7h6nlvM.jpg

nbPYXTF.jpg

FZ1FMEc.jpg

EuYtnsr.jpg

FIasmh2.jpg

mbKNWE3.jpg

By the way, if you are interested in a sheath, you might try to contact Sullivan's Holster Shop (2521 Success Dr, Suite 1, Odessa, FL 33556) Mon.-Fri. 8:30-5:00 ET, 727-376-3209. They make Randall's sheaths and might make you a replacement sheath for your eight-inch Model #1.
-Steve

By the way, if you are interested in a sheath, you might try to contact Sullivan's Holster Shop (2521 Success Dr, Suite 1, Odessa, FL 33556) Mon.-Fri. 8:30-5:00 ET, 727-376-3209. They make Randall's sheaths and might make you a replacement sheath for your eight-inch Model #1.
-Steve

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it.

You got an awesome mother in law, especially if the other 6 are for subsequent birthdays, holidays, etc.!

You got an awesome mother in law, especially if the other 6 are for subsequent birthdays, holidays, etc.!

I should have been more specific, I don't think any of the other knives were Randalls. It may have been even more than 6 or 7 in the lot. She just stated that she bought a lot/batch of knives from an estate sale. My wife got a new in box Case XX boot/hunter knife and her cousin got "a few little knives". I did not see what he received.

And I got the Randall Made.

Recon, your information regarding the Model and approximate date is correct, and with that spacer stack it was made no later than 1972. By 1973 the spacer stack looked like this, and over the years, changed again and again.

SP5-7_3.jpg

Also, a modern sheath for a vintage knife would, IMO, do you no good. You'd be better off asking around and seeing if someone has a spare; I used to, but don't now. It would look like this one.

SP5-7_1.jpg

Hope that helps. Now, go give your MIL a big hug. :D

Recon, your information regarding the Model and approximate date i

Hope that helps. Now, go give your MIL a big hug. :D

Thanks! Glad to hear that I'm in the right ballpark. I agree, that a vintage sheath would be the best way to go. I just got close off eBay, I should have it within a week and will post more pictures when I have it.

And I definitely gave her a big hug! She absolutely crushed it! It would have never even entered my mind to get something like this!

Are you going to use it? Have you researched the name engraved on it?

I would like to use it. Honestly, I am much more into firearms than I am edged weapons(although I will work on evening that out some), even with my nicer guns, I see them as tools. I don't look to abuse them just to beat on them, but I will absolutely put them to work.

As for the name(Bruce Spencer 1972) on the blade, I have done some basic google box queries but nothing deep.

I feel sort of sorry for Mr. Spencer such a fine knife living in a box. I hope he enjoyed looking at it, but I doubt he experienced the true joy of ownership without using it.

You have a dilemma on your hands now. Use it, enjoy it, de-value it. Or keep it in the box.

Last edited:
Back