What did you rehang today?

Just did up this DSI 1. The original haft broke during normal use.
35536182294_73b43b19c7_c.jpg

35536169774_0ae15e1dfb_c.jpg

XacySu

Last edited:
Here is what I need to rehang or get someone to do. I have little experience rehanging anything but hatchets. And those never last very well .

These are heirlooms or finds at old farm sales in PA and MO.

20170330_135723-1.jpg

Any advice is appreciated. The double bit I would like to see restored as well as the single bit . The hatchet is a Keen Kutter and I would like a handle similar to original. This hardware store handle is not done correctly.

Here is what I need to rehang or get someone to do. I have little experience rehanging anything but hatchets. And those never last very well .

These are heirlooms or finds at old farm sales in PA and MO.

View attachment 745646

Any advice is appreciated. The double bit I would like to see restored as well as the single bit . The hatchet is a Keen Kutter and I would like a handle similar to original. This hardware store handle is not done correctly.

You can do it. Every handle is a learning experience and re-re-hanging an axe isn't a very costly endeavor. I'll bet that Jersey is a good one too.

Phantomknives,
I had been thinking of mounting some single bits on straight double bit handles.
Yours are the first modern pics I've seen of that.

I really like that look.

Phantomknives,
I had been thinking of mounting some single bits on straight double bit handles.
I really like that look.
A kindred soul (that'd be Square_Peg, in this case) sent me a vintage Plumb rafting head entirely 'out of the blue' early this year. Straights for dbl bits can be had, sporadically, at local stores but straights for single bits rarely show up at all. Two weeks ago (in ritzy cottage country Muskoka Lakes, Ontario) at a Home Hardware (Village of MacTier to be specific) I accidentally came across a straight splitting maul handle with good lines and nice grain and went forward with re-shaping and re-sizing it. It's not done yet (lots more wood to be spoke-shaved/rasped/filed/sanded off) but that oversize piece of wood did get 'the ball rolling'. The long suffering billet of White Oak that I've been saving (five years now!) for just such an occasion is on the back burner once again.

Junkenstein's Plumb closer
20170811_205920-jpg.748546

That looks like a well fit handle, slips up under the profile of the eye wall. Looks thinned as well?

Those Plumb National patterns just look "right" on straight handles. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
It's also stamped on the side facing away from a right handed user. The "Starboard" side.

Speaking my language,I have 3.5 lb stamped on the starboard and it has a hardened poll as well.that's a 36 full sizes handle I split the shoulder on ,thinned a good bit 31inches now

junkenstien the jury is still out on Plumb Nationals as to whether the polls are hardened. These often have stamps on the right, high polls with bevelled edges as would be expected of 'rafters'. I was quite excited to get hold of a mostly unused pre-Permabond one (a 3 2) via jblyttle a couple of years ago but a file run over the poll edge did not skate like it should have. The file trick is easier to conduct then is pounding on it with a large ball peen to see if it chips rather than dimples. Have another look.

junkenstien the jury is still out on Plumb Nationals as to whether the polls are hardened. These often have stamps on the right, high polls with bevelled edges as would be expected of 'rafters'. I was quite excited to get hold of a mostly unused pre-Permabond one (a 3 2) via jblyttle a couple of years ago but a file run over the poll edge did not skate like it should have. The file trick is easier to conduct then is pounding on it with a large ball peen to see if it chips rather than dimples. Have another look.
They are inconsistent in the hardness it seems. I think this thread has it covered.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/plumb-national-pattern-hardened-poll-or-not.1366656/

I found this Kölefors Bruk 1943 army surplus in a trash can at work earlier this summer. Today it got a new handle.
The wedge wasnt too thick but damn it's a solid hang. Took her out and whacked the shit out of a birch trunk, the head didn't move a thou.

IMG_2244_zpszm3gps64.jpg

IMG_2246_zps8ljh5riw.jpg

IMG_2245_zpsrhxd3akt.jpg

Back