What did you rehang today?

Good morning this Monday...

Not a rehang for me but a first hang.

...I did thin the handle a bit, delaquer and give it a knob like feel/style...

The axe head as I received it...

5OzLNcF.jpg

Afk7EJ6.jpg

The Link House Axe handle, off the shelf.

sBkuqtF.jpg

Result...

CYZqDNn.jpg

NJctBH8.jpg

Br2XUKT.jpg

Weight total about 2&1/4lb.
17" from top of the eye to bottom of the knob.
I plan to improve my skills for the next hang...

YqevRcQ.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Miller CT

Good morning this Monday...

Not a rehang for me but a first hang.

...I did thin the handle a bit, delaquer and give it a knob like feel/style...

The axe head as I received it...

5OzLNcF.jpg

Afk7EJ6.jpg

The Link House Axe handle, off the shelf.

sBkuqtF.jpg

Result...

CYZqDNn.jpg

NJctBH8.jpg

Br2XUKT.jpg

Weight total about 2&1/4lb.
17" from top of the eye to bottom of the knob.
I plan to improve my skills for the next hang...

YqevRcQ.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Miller CT

Thanks for sharing! The space there could be filled with another shaped piece of wedge material or even a small piece of hickory - just to keep the elements out.
CYZqDNn.jpg

I like the knob end. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing! The space there could be filled with another shaped piece of wedge material or even a small piece of hickory - just to keep the elements out.
CYZqDNn.jpg

I like the knob end. :thumbsup:

Thanks AgentH

I wasn't quite sure how to remedy that, I have read from a few posts exactly what you suggest and think that's what I will attempt from a broken hickory maul handle I have been saving.

Can't wait to hang the Kelly!!
...still patiently searching for two handles that scream out to the Plumb and Collins heads I have.

Crafting, carving and shaping my own handles, definetly in my future!!

Wife wife thinks I have OCD.
I told her stop thinking and just embrace it.

I can appreciate that a wedge is often not tall enough to fully fill the vertical kerf and that achieving a full length fit may require a second piece of wedge. There is lots of support at the eye sides of tear shapes but the tight turns at both the top and bottom are tough to fill. Sometimes I think the Europeans have it right when they manufacture D shaped eyes so that there's fully positive contact at the top of the eye by virtue of being able to shape a haft much more precisely.

Thank you 300

I look forward to trying my hand at filling that gap with a nice piece out of an older broken hickory handle. In hindsight using a longer wedge, even with a little shaping, would possibly have filled that narrow gap nicely. Got me thinking, I love it!

I also look forward to my next hang. The Craftsmanship I have viewed in this forum is motivating and inspiring.

Those are rich with age yet new. For some reason I like the paint splatter on the conventional hatchet. Nice work on those JB.

Man, I love box elder. Wish we had more of it around here.

It's related to maple and from what I've heard it makes a fine syrup.

I recall having a couple trees on our property as a kid. One was a climber. ;)
The other was too close to a rental unit and came down for firewood - good firewood.

Never made syrup from them,front half of the yard is full of silver maple get it from them.Hate them mostly for the bugs don't care for all the work either,after that one I have four more that size that are all split and dying to cut down.

My 2nd hang.
It's not perfect but it's strong.
It feels great, weight and balance.
Kelly Registered 3lb. 28" Hickory, thinned & shaved, off the shelf Link handle...
Yjl80Sr.jpg

yAFdihh.jpg

IgsUFVB.jpg

Thanks for looking

⚒✔ Miller ⚒

Looks good but woud look great with some file work, maybe a half banana grind.

Looks good but woud look great with some file work, maybe a half banana grind.

I like the idea, and will need to do a little reading on the banana grind . I can assume what it is, shape/contour of sharpened & polished bit, heel to toe.
I agree it would probably look better, though I do also like the look she has now, her badge as a user then stuck in a drawer till I found her. (I am just happy I didn't soak her in vinegar)

Thanks squarepeg

Back