What did you rehang today?

No sir,swiss surplus had 86 and a cross on the handle.Had to see what it would do and it has a d shaped eye ,got a ditch blade handle when I returned a link handle that warped on me.looks kinda dumb but works good didn't stick as much as I thought,chopped 2 big old box elder logs and a piece of dead red pine and it's still sharp.

No name or markings.
Soft steel when filed.
Head was painted with a thick black paint.
1 & 3/4lb.
13" handle.
Happy Friday the 13th!

hkHKm0Q.jpg

Just finished this little Norlund Voyageur.

Attachments

• 9E6BAB4A-D4C5-4AAA-824A-BDD35A1BF52D.jpeg
    9E6BAB4A-D4C5-4AAA-824A-BDD35A1BF52D.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 19
  • AA9BC9B9-04A2-44FD-AC98-98918F291C1F.jpeg
    AA9BC9B9-04A2-44FD-AC98-98918F291C1F.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 7F14682C-2184-4D60-B17A-1B42EBC27BD8.jpeg
    7F14682C-2184-4D60-B17A-1B42EBC27BD8.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 17
  • A40B3042-2FF8-4CC7-B75A-F2247C9FCDF3.jpeg
    A40B3042-2FF8-4CC7-B75A-F2247C9FCDF3.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 0281EE17-8F1B-4AD3-827C-B00E04BAFC5E.jpeg
    0281EE17-8F1B-4AD3-827C-B00E04BAFC5E.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 16
I rehung my imicasa / marbles saddle hatchet today.
I realized it's eye was not straight, so I removed the handle then removed wood accordingly and set it further down on the shoulder. I so needed to put the head on upside down which I was able to do because the head is the same top to bottom.
Now the bits run true and parallel to the handle.

Btw curiously the cone wedge was just 2 little short sections , so I used a torch and hammer to make my own out of a small piece of steel tubing.

Last edited:
I like that hatchet.
What length handle did you hang it on? The grains in your handle come out strong, looks great!
How much does it weigh?

I like that hatchet.
What length handle did you hang it on? The grains in your handle come out strong, looks great!
How much does it weigh?
Thanks. Just over a pound. I bought a 16” Hatchet handle from Rona and cut an inch and a bit from the horn, then about 3/4” off the kerf once the handle was fitted.

I like that hatchet.
How much does it weigh?
I rehung it on it's original handle.
It is now exactly 14" but I think it was about 15" before.

Btw the grain may be going the wrong way ( almost totally horizontal ), but I don't think it's a big deal for a tool this size and the grain is very tight.

It may not be as soft as I first thought.
Not as soft as the hatchet I Rehung last and gave to a hipster friend of mine.
It's holding it's edge after some trials earlier...that said it's not the same steel as my Collins hatchet.
But it's got some red paint showing thru the pole, it's got great wear and patina, I had to file and reshape to make close the symmetry of the heel and toe...I like it.
Keeper for myself and my boys.
:thumbsup:

It may not be as soft as I first thought.
Not as soft as the hatchet I Rehung last and gave to a hipster friend of mine.
It's holding it's edge after some trials earlier...that said it's not the same steel as my Collins hatchet.
But it's got some red paint showing thru the pole, it's got great wear and patina, I had to file and reshape to make close the symmetry of the heel and toe...I like it.
Keeper for myself and my boys.
:thumbsup:
The head and handle look nice, so I figured it should at least be decent and it sounds like it probably is.

If you find an old very rusty head with no visible stamp but the cheeks are convex ( the sides will be thicker down the center ).
it may also be unmarked if it was made for a hardware store to put their own logo on it.
You wrote the whole of this post in another thread but got me thinking that you just described the hatchet I just rehung.
That and my filing skills are improving ;):D

You wrote the whole of this post in another thread but got me thinking that you just described the hatchet I just rehung.
That and my filing skills are improving ;):D

Sometimes you just gotta take a chance on a tool if the price is good, may or may not pay off but you'll never know if you don't go for it.

Back