What did you rehang today?

I stuck this head on a cruiser handle for fun.
spcck8.jpg

Sanded and blued the head then wedged it
2zhjsl0.jpg

Not the best stick but i hung it
ngelmv.jpg

302xatu.jpg

Hi WhiskeyJim, I am an admirer of your work and although you said it's not the best handle, the 2nd photo of the completed hang...The handle looks great, especially at the swell with that knobby fawn foot shape.

Not exactly a complete rehang, but I did set the head down a little further and finally reshaped the swell into a traditional fawns foot after looking it over and realizing there was actually enough material there for it.

The second picture isn't the best but it is at least a before.

Knot klipper marked 3,the toe was worn so I took a lot of steel off,not sure what it weighs now.26 1/2 handleView attachment 825509
As short as it is now it looks near perfectly symmetrical and fits very well on the 26" of really eye popping grains you have it hung on...great job!
What are you thinking it will be used best as/for? House axe type feel and look maybe?
I like it, great job!

Thanks.dont rightly know Miller,saw that some of them came with short handles and I had this one laying around.Get outside after while and see .

Hello anyone. Just finished it today

This is NOS soviet 1980 УПС axe specially made for builders of The Baikal–Amur Mainline (Russian Байкало-Амурская магистраль (БАМ), Baikalo-Amurskaya magistral', railway line in Russia. Traversing Eastern Siberia and the Russian Far East, the 4,324 km (2,687 mi) long BAM runs about 610 to 770 km (380 to 480 miles) north of and parallel to the Trans-Siberian railway. This axes are made tougher and stronger. Blue color. All soviet axes typically a good to excellent quality but huge DIY project.

Before

39323817792_046283d73e_z.jpg

39365415291_71b855d6a1_z.jpg

And after

This is NOS soviet 1980 УПС axe specially made for builders of The Baikal–Amur Mainline (Russian Байкало-Амурская магистраль (БАМ), Baikalo-Amurskaya magistral', railway line in Russia. Traversing Eastern Siberia and the Russian Far East, the 4,324 km (2,687 mi) long BAM runs about 610 to 770 km (380 to 480 miles) north of and parallel to the Trans-Siberian railway. This axes are made tougher and stronger. Blue color. All soviet axes typically a good to excellent quality but huge DIY project.

Before

And after

A few of the guys thought that the revolution had adverse effects on the quality of tools. Thanks for saying that this was not the case

Before

And after

Beautiful grain and wedge job. I do not know if it is just me, but it just doesn't look right with longer handle. I do not know maybe it was designed for straight haft.

I don't know if they are necessarily made for straight handles but given the size and shape of the eye, there has to be some major reduction of mass at some point to fit in your hand.
Typically that seems to be in a drop at the back of the handle. That drop/reduction in size very much determines how close you can grasp it under the head.

Another thing to think about is the amount of wood necessary to allow for that drop and then create a curved handle - your starting piece will have to be a bit larger front to back.

Without reference in a photo it is actually a little hard (for me) to accurately determine the size of the axe. Smaller/lighter ones look pretty much like the 3+lb'ers in build.

Tras' is good looking for sure. Not all of them are created equal either. Some will chop through large nails without an issue, some will bend.

Ash for the handle?

Hung this old True Temper Americanax from Glassport PA. It is an interesting little axe. There was a thread made taking about this axe which is very informative! I had a vintage handle that was on an axe eye splitting maul that wasn’t getting any use so I took it and threw this head on it! Vintage handles just seem to soak up the oil way better than the new stuff. Love it!!!

Hung this old True Temper Americanax from Glassport PA. It is an interesting little axe. There was a thread made taking about this axe which is very informative! I had a vintage handle that was on an axe eye splitting maul that wasn’t getting any use so I took it and threw this head on it! Vintage handles just seem to soak up the oil way better than the new stuff. Love it!!!

Awesome old Michigan there on a fine vintage handle, way to go :thumbsup:

Before

And after

It's a beauty. I think handle looks great and sized right for the axe.

A few of the guys thought that the revolution had adverse effects on the quality of tools. Thanks for saying that this was not the case
Axes from 50' and 60' are usually great, 70' and later years anything from mediocre to excellent.
Ash for the handle
Yes, white ash. Beech for the wedges.

This is to give you the size idea

39582237492_88f22b1aa5_z.jpg

smallest axe is a Gränsfors Bruks small hatchet, 26 cm (10") long.

Last edited:
Back