What did you rehang today?

I have been taking my time, going back and forth between this Charter Oak hang and the Crosscuts.

The head is 3&1/2lbs.
Total now 4&1/4lbs on a 30&1/2" Link handle.
The handle still needs some shaving, rounding down and I still want to use my stone on the bit, I just got carried away and found myself hanging it.:D
I treated the kerf and wedge when hanging, but It needs to be completely treated with BLO later tonight if/after a little more rasp and paper on the handle.

20180116_192356.jpg

20180116_192339.jpg

20180116_192332.jpg

20180116_192434.jpg

20180116_192410.jpg

Thanks for looking :cool:

I might be taking “What did you hang today” a little loosely with this post but I did “hang” some of them up for the first time.

There is too much stuff around here to hang it all on the shelves. I didn’t have much time so just the immediate stuff on my bench and in buckets next to my work bench got put up - sort of outgrew the space enough to require a concerted sideways shuffle to make the corner.

Unused.shelving
by Agent Hierarchy

Unused.shelving
by Agent Hierarchy

been working on a couple of birch axe handles, i got some staves from a birch which had been downed by a beaver, there is a couple of knots and defects, we'll see if they compromise the handles.

i have made another one for this soviet axe i found online, but it warped like crazy when i had carved it to the final shape. this i made tonight

IMG_2286_zps60gkqq40.jpg

IMG_2287_zpscw4wrohj.jpg

Aikonen I always enjoy your posts. How much does the head weigh? Handle length?
Im glad you do friend,thank you. I have no idea, but on the parcel it said 1100g, it feels about right.
Handle length will be 60cm once I wedge the head and cut it to final length.
Made this traditional taiga sheath last night, using a knife only, you could manufacture all you need

IMG_2291_zpswi6wejc4.jpg

My first axe rehang. A True Temper Kelly Perfect double bit with a TN. Hickory handle. I have a few more to do, and boy is this a blast!

Also, I do not store my axe in a tiki mouth, it was just a photo op that I thought I would try when taking a standing axe picture.
https://imgur.com/gallery/ZA0Sb
Not bad at all, you may want to leave a little sticking out the top next time but overall I think your did a great job as long as it holds tight down the road.

Not bad at all, you may want to leave a little sticking out the top next time but overall I think your did a great job as long as it holds tight down the road.
Thanks, I’ll take that advice. I’m going to be doing a True Temper Vulcan double bit this coming weekend, and will leave some out the top. I’m hoping it’s a solid hang, but I’ll see.

My first axe rehang. A True Temper Kelly Perfect double bit with a TN. Hickory handle. I have a few more to do, and boy is this a blast!

Also, I do not store my axe in a tiki mouth, it was just a photo op that I thought I would try when taking a standing axe picture.
https://imgur.com/gallery/ZA0Sb

Looks good!

You may find that on a convex cheeked axe that something other than a radial grind may cut faster and more efficiently. I'm thinking a half banana grind would do well on that axe.

In the design process of making a 20" handle for this red China hatchet out of a piece of ipe decking. It had red epoxy in the eye that all but fell out when a drill touched it. A Plumb knockoff?
DSC_0089.jpg

I had this council tool el lobo given to me this summer. It has become my kindling axe, in my opinion that’s all it’s really suited for because the bit is so thick. It can cross cut but it is not too fun. It does split small wood great so I use it daily for that. The handle is store bought 28 inch Ash that I thinned out a fair amount. I will really put this to use in the spring to split up a bunch of small stuff for my maple syrup evaporator. I believe it weighs almost 2 pounds and originally came with a 18 inch handle.

It’s scary what these go for on line considering how one dimensional they are, but for free I will take it.

Here is a nice keenkutter Michigan I picked up a while back. It looks to have been used very little. The steel is better than most. There was some spots of red paint in the stamp so I filled it in. I would like to know what people think. Yay or nay? We’re they originally red? For some reason I feel like I have seen ads where they were. I finally found a decent handle for it. The last picture shows the handle complete after thinning and reshaping palm swell. Thanks for looking!

Here is a nice keenkutter Michigan I picked up a while back. It looks to have been used very little. The steel is better than most. There was some spots of red paint in the stamp so I filled it in. I would like to know what people think. Yay or nay? We’re they originally red? For some reason I feel like I have seen ads where they were. I finally found a decent handle for it. The last picture shows the handle complete after thinning and reshaping palm swell. Thanks for looking!

I like the red

In the design process of making a 20" handle for this red China hatchet out of a piece of ipe decking. It had red epoxy in the eye that all but fell out when a drill touched it. A Plumb knockoff?
DSC_0089.jpg

I've had Permabond axes that were a real fight to remove and then a couple that were pretty easy.

The ones that were easier to remove were broken off under the head. I wonder if the exposure to moisture/elements underminds the integrity to a certain degree - water and what not getting in there and freezing/drying repeatedly maybe made them easier to knock out. Yours being a Plumb knockoff I couldn't say but it probably was found to be cheaper to just fill the eye with goop than have human hands on it.

Back