What did you rehang today?

Old Craftsman handle is a bonus!

Good looking old Vaughan, too. Glad to see you fixed that edge. It looked short in the center.
The hatchet edge is actually untouched by me and probably needs a little work.

The axe has its original handle. It was loose with metal crap jammed into the wedge so I took it apart, cleaned the head, scraped the handle, new wedge and BLO. This was the non-taped axe that followed me home today.

Last edited:

That looks great!

is that a handle stamp i see? i like handle stamps.

Yes I see that too;)

Does anyone else see the F5 in front of the eye on jb's Craftsman? TT Woodslasher markings?

F5 Great eye!

Very Nice Score JB!

I see a small gap between the back of the eye and the handle in the close up looking down at the head. I have had this occur when the top of the eye is longer then the bottom. In my experience this is a common problem and impossible to avoid unless you want to file the front and back of the eye perfectly parallel to each other. I don’t think anyone wants to do that. Looks like a good hang to me.

Agreed. I think steel wedges can split the wood longitudinally and fill that gap, but nobody wants to do that either. Really no point nit picking about people's hangs. Even if it only lasts for one chop, it took some elbow grease and it was a learning experience for a better hang next time. Far better than just throwing money at hydraulic hung Swedish axe imo.

I think that I will be getting a bunch of fresh black locust tomorrow. Nothing long enough for axes, but good for hammers etc. I'm looking forward to trying it.
I heard a story from one of my friends up in the snowy bit north of Washington that some Canadian government body (probably forest service) had conducted tests to see which local wood was the hardiest, they milled 1x1 posts out of cedar, Doug fir, maple, black locust and a few others, they stuck'm in the ground and checked up on them periodically, then recorded which wood rotted when

Eventually they cut the experiment because it was taking too long. The only two left were black locust and cedar. The black locust was almost rotted through so they gave the win to cedar.

Black locust was the favored wood for fence posts. Many homesteaders planted it first thing for this reason. The posts would be charred to further preserve them. The old saying was that charred black locust would last "3 years longer than a rock".

I stumbled upon such a grove of black locust near my buddies property in south central Washington. Non-native tree. They are planted in neat rows like a fruit orchard.

Last edited:
Black locust was the favored wood for fence posts. Many homesteaders planted it first thing for this reason. The posts would be charred to further preserve them. The old saying was that charred black locust would last "3 years longer than a rock".

I stumbled upon such a grove of black locust near my buddies property in south central Washington. Non-native tree. They are planted in neat rows like a fruit orchard.
There is a TON of it all up and down my road, right on the roadside. Notbing gets planted so it's all natural dispersion. Unfortunately it's all brand new so nothing has branches much thicker than apple stems yet. We had a big wind storm last week with lots of downed trees, so I'm getting fresh mature rounds.

In the Northwest it's considered an invasive species. It adapts well here. It's scattered about many of the old homestead sites.

I have a few 40" staves stashed away. Split off a straight trunk. One of them warped right away. The other 2 stayed straight for 9 months and then warped slightly. The warped one is set aside for a broad axe. The other two can still make a straight axe handle. I sealed the ends and stored them in a shady place and they still warped. C'est la vie.

Osage orange here in Kansas. Everybody that farms/has pasture curses it as it is invasive and to kill it, you have to pull up the stumps. As I continue to immerse myself in all that is vintage axes, eventually i'm going to have to start making my own handles and osage orange seems like a natural.

Sorry but saw you were a good member figured I’d see if you could tell me how post a pic , and Thanks bud

I can help.

Click this link https://postimages.org/
You'll see " choose images " if you scroll down
Hit that then select your picture to upload it.
Once uploaded scroll down to the hotlink for forums and hit the blue icon at the end of it to copy it.
Then you just have to paste it here.

If you follow these few simple steps you'll have a full image here for all to see.

Black locust and cedar have one other thing in common besides durability which is the both are really nice for splitting, and I don't just mean firewood billets. The black locust,Robinia pseudoacacia, though is very hard, very fibrous and not so nice to work which explains also its suitability for fencing, split it up and put your fence up with it.

Black locust and cedar have one other thing in common besides durability which is the both are really nice for splitting, and I don't just mean firewood billets. The black locust,Robinia pseudoacacia, though is very hard, very fibrous and not so nice to work which explains also its suitability for fencing, split it up and put your fence up with it.
It would have to be a 1.5-2' fence. :D

Last edited:
Sounds like you want a format more like this one with a robinia handle.
p6061146-e1445115911361.jpg

Joking aside now, what would concern me with such a wood is its grip in the axe. It is so hard I'm afraid it will eventually loosen on any axe used.

Back