What did you rehang today?

We have individual cases, highly circumstantial, by nature subjective and not generalizable and we have the collective knowledge gathered over time and a variety of circumstances. Robinia is wide spread and grows along side the standard accepted wood types but its use is always a deviation. I connect that rejection with the hardness and unpleasant working characteristics of the wood though I could be wrong. There are many reasons one can think of why we don't see it used for handles much.

that's exactly how i do except i do not often cross wedge . making the fit with draw knife, is acurate, quick, effortless, spliting the protuding wood, is quicker than doing it with a saw, (wich is for me the most boring thing in axe handle making.)

I swapped the old Montgomery Wards handle from my :mad: cracked Rixford head to my 4lb A.A.T.Co ROUGH RIDER michigan pattern.
DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

This was a re-rehang! I felt that the handle was just too thick after a few times using it. Now it is great. Feels great and did well trimming the old magnolia tree. This handle length can be fairly unsafe to use but I feel with an experienced user it has its place.

And this was an old maul handle I chopped up to start with.

Axe heads survive. Handles don't. When I find a good vintage handle I always try to re-use it. Even if you have to cut them off they still make great patterns.

Yes sir I agree 100%. This one was particularly nice because the curve was not cut yet. I really enjoyed working with an old growth handle I don’t get the opportunity very often. It may have been second generation but even that is better than most of what I see you today.

Can’t.Hook
by Agent Hierarchy

It's started at least. Got the bolt trimmed up. 3 washers - one on either side of the hook in the housing to take up some slack and minimize play and one behind the nut. There is always play on them as far as I have seen/used. Not sure if that matters as long as the housing is solid/not crushed/or bent too far to one side.

Are the one piece collar/shrouds with points considered "Improved"? I can see them being "improved" from the standpoint of being less to worry about to get on a stick.
The donor hook is a Warren I believe.

Back