What did you rehang today?

Can’t.Hook
by Agent Hierarchy

It's started at least. Got the bolt trimmed up. 3 washers - one on either side of the hook in the housing to take up some slack and minimize play and one behind the nut. There is always play on them as far as I have seen/used. Not sure if that matters as long as the housing is solid/not crushed/or bent too far to one side.

Are the one piece collar/shrouds with points considered "Improved"? I can see them being "improved" from the standpoint of being less to worry about to get on a stick.
The donor hook is a Warren I believe.
Thats a beauty Agent H.
There is this from Peavey..

Bangor Rafting Peavey
The socket and pick of this Peavey are forged into one piece, thereby eliminating any shoulder where the socket and pick meet. This is the strongest most durable Peavey and is the favorite on jobs involving prying and lifting. It was invented by J. Henry Peavey, grandson of Joseph, in 1873. Fitted with 2 3/8" diameter quality hardwood handles and a Western Duck Bill Hook.
9014_13.jpg

But the standard one has a replaceable pick. It could last forever...

Can’t.Hook
by Agent Hierarchy

It's started at least. Got the bolt trimmed up. 3 washers - one on either side of the hook in the housing to take up some slack and minimize play and one behind the nut. There is always play on them as far as I have seen/used. Not sure if that matters as long as the housing is solid/not crushed/or bent too far to one side.

Are the one piece collar/shrouds with points considered "Improved"? I can see them being "improved" from the standpoint of being less to worry about to get on a stick.
The donor hook is a Warren I believe.

That's really looking great!
BANGOR MAINE, you are bringing it back beautifully and I bet you are a little restless to get her into service:thumbsup:

I just got turned on last night to an opportunity to grab one or both here...

34129-MMS-1520946522750-attachment1-20180313_090558.jpg

the right price and I don't mind waiting for the missing spike, yours is really great looking!
I am still pondering...

I really enjoyed working with an old growth handle I don’t get the opportunity very often.

Even a vintage handle is likely to be second growth which is reported to be better than old growth hickory. 2nd growth typically grows faster and straighter making better wood for handles.

Can’t.Hook
by Agent Hierarchy

Ready for duty. I have an axe about set up if that helps...

So my knowledge is limited on can’t hooks but I’m guessing the spike works as a type of “wedge” if you will, to hold the collar onto the handle?

This is why I love this forum. All the knowledge you need and experienced people to reach out to are at your fingertips. Just awesome!!

I saw a collar at a shop the other day and thought about getting it but without the spike it would be a looker for a while. Also it was very badly pitted.

So my knowledge is limited on can’t hooks but I’m guessing the spike works as a type of “wedge” if you will, to hold the collar onto the handle?

This is why I love this forum. All the knowledge you need and experienced people to reach out to are at your fingertips. Just awesome!!

I saw a collar at a shop the other day and thought about getting it but without the spike it would be a looker for a while. Also it was very badly pitted.
Well since you brought it up. If it has a spike it is a peavey, cant hooks are like this.....
cant_hook.jpg

Well there you go. My ignorance has shined through. So in a “peavey” is the spikes secondary function to work as a wedge for the collar?

Jumped it down a quarter and sculpted a new wedge. The bit end blew up a bit but I've never been able to save a handle without a bit of suck.

Well there you go. My ignorance has shined through. So in a “peavey” is the spikes secondary function to work as a wedge for the collar?

That’s not ignorance Brian. They are referred to by many names.
Though, we might need a dedicated Cant Hook/Peavey tool thread to describe putting them together.
This is from ruralheritage.com
Cant hook with hog nose end.
peavey_cant.gif

Cant hook with crow foot end.
peavey_crow.gif

Peavey with spiked end.
peavey.gif

My local hardware store had replacement spikes in stock last year. Not sure if they still have them. But somebody makes them. I'd bet on Dixie Industries.

So in a “peavey” is the spikes secondary function to work as a wedge for the collar?

No wedge needed. The spike is for pushing logs. The tool evolved out of the log rafting industry.

Around here you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a peavey. Lots of them around at estate sales and antique stores. And they are still in stores, too. The top one in this photo was made by American Logging Tool Co.

Peavies%202.jpg

Store%20peavey%20and%20spike.jpg

There are several in a shop here that look brand new painted the same blue as your last picture.
Instead of a hook, they have a length of heavy chain - I guess to wrap your log instead of biting into it?

There are 3 set up identically. Maybe to move something smooth like pipe or conduit as opposed to wood?

Back