What did you rehang today?

Agent H.... I am really interested in the process/steps you take to size/place/kerf the
haft... if possible could you please describe how the fitment takes place. Photos would
be great. Thank you...beautiful ax.
Charles

I prefer to fit the axe tight, cutting lines in the haft with the ridges and helping the process with a utility knife. Then once I've shouldered the axe I kerf and wedge it.

That looks like a typical Woodslasher (great axe). They came in black, too.

I would like it to have more meat right at the top of the eye right now but it's going down on the handle about another 1.5-2" where it's thicker.
It's the handle from this old axe that was left to weather. The tongue was pretty messy once the head was off:

OldDryHandle
by Agent Hierarchy

The head went on to be "remedied" somewhat and ended up on another handle. It went to a good home though.

DryGrind
by Agent Hierarchy

Agent H.... I am really interested in the process/steps you take to size/place/kerf the
haft... if possible could you please describe how the fitment takes place. Photos would
be great. Thank you...beautiful ax.
Charles

I try to true up the handle/tongue as much as possible before starting it. I use a small triangular file to kind of guide the ridges but they do their work for the most part. As it goes on, it's a good idea to remove the wood that pushes up at the bottom of the ridges. Also having a solid idea of where you want to have it end up is important.
That handle has sat around here long enough - even with the grain like it is, it still wants to eat. I can try to take pictures when I get back to it if you like.

Outstanding Agent H ... I appreciate the explanation.... and, as I am a visual learner any
photos of the process would be appreciated. Thank you.
Charles

PETHPrL.jpg

finally got one of the woodslashers on a handle, the DB brian sent me is gonna have to wait for a bit, i'm going to get an adirondack handle from Mr. R_Lambracht on instagram, he makes wondeful handles and i personally am extremely excited to get my hands on one but i'v gotta find some dough to do it

3lbs. Dayton pattern

20180507_100518.jpg

29 1/2" hung...from a 32" Link

20180516_133206.jpg

20180516_133222.jpg

This is my first head soak. Thought an overnight would be good. Straight up BLO.

20180516_133851.jpg

See how this fella is in the morning, possibly drive the wedge a little deeper

I wouldn't. It's going to be soaked and tight, so attempting to drive the wedge may not work. If it does not move you may damage/deform it. At this point I would leave it and try to tighten it down the road if it ever shows signs of movement.

I wouldn't. It's going to be soaked and tight, so attempting to drive the wedge may not work. If it does not move you may damage/deform it. At this point I would leave it and try to tighten it down the road if it ever shows signs of movement.

Thanks a million for the heads up on that.
My first soak would have ended badly.

Thanks JB

Back