What did you rehang today?

I think bacck to the 70's and earlier when recycling wasn't really a thing. How many axes just went into the landfill? How many anvils!?!

I would not like to think of the ones lost.

You have given me an idea...an investment in a metal detector and a trip to the landfill my hometown closed back in the late 70's early 80'...first a reconnaissance hiking trip with the pup to see how serious those no trespassing signs are...and if that works, I know what I want for fathers day...an excavator lol!

I got this head on this handle, but it had a dirty lanyard, old varnish and tape and wasn't hung well. I scraped, rehung and oiled.

IMG_20180517_204738 by Justin Lyttle,
IMG_20180517_204758

Looking good! What's the name stamped on the handle? I like the handle as much as the head:cool:

That is one sweet legit legitimus! Still has some life left in it!! To think someone almost melted it down boggles the mind....

Another rescue, I will keep trying to save what I can and when I can;):thumbsup::cool:

You have given me an idea...an investment in a metal detector and a trip to the landfill my hometown closed back in the late 70's early 80'...first a reconnaissance hiking trip with the pup to see how serious those no trespassing signs are...and if that works, I know what I want for fathers day...an excavator lol!
hope ya like false positives bud, your minds in the right place but a metal detector is just not the right thing for the job

hope ya like false positives bud, your minds in the right place but a metal detector is just not the right thing for the job
I know guys that have found treasures with them but i have never tried. An axe head that has been buried in the dirt for 30-80 years is like a corpse. Let the dead rest.

I know guys that have found treasures with them but i have never tried. An axe head that has been buried in the dirt for 30-80 years is like a corpse. Let the dead rest.

The "Spirit" is there for sure :thumbsup:

I was at Lowe’s a couple days ago and saw a decent handle so I got it. I tried to mimic the handle on this old Flint edge I already had for the gold Flint Edge I posted in the it followed me home thread. It is not an exact replica but it turned out pretty well. The handle when bought was a big club and took a lot of thinning and shaping but the result was well worth it. Thanks for looking!!

I was at Lowe’s a couple days ago and saw a decent handle so I got it. I tried to mimic the handle on this old Flint edge I already had for the gold Flint Edge I posted in the it followed me home thread. It is not an exact replica but it turned out pretty well. The handle when bought was a big club and took a lot of thinning and shaping but the result was well worth it. Thanks for looking!!

Those Ames/Lowes handles are really superb values if you can find a good one and are willing to put a little time into it.

BTW, Home Depot sells the exact same handles but is usually about $4 more expensive.

Thank you for the kind words. And yes the ones at Lowe’s were around nine dollars I believe. If you can find a good one and don’t mind turning it they are great handles and usually you can make a great transferred out of them because they have a big box see swell.

6C0286A6-CCD7-4996-B80A-E9E6407741CE.jpeg BA485910-2373-4EA1-BE95-8160C243EDED.jpeg We bought a house a few months back and found an old axe, another head and a couple of wedges in the rafters of our wood shed.
I had never hung an axe or even knew what linseed oil was. I found everything I needed in this forum :D
The grain is off and I’m not sure about the gap in the front of the eye but it held up to a few test swings before getting oiled and hung up to cure.

Good job Freedom Pullo Freedom Pullo !

Take care of that axe, that's a good axe, hard to find nowadays. Honor and use it if you can, please share your experience. Don't use it in anything more than cutting (not splitting) wood

Good job Freedom Pullo Freedom Pullo !

Take care of that axe, that's a good axe, hard to find nowadays. Honor and use it if you can, please share your experience. Don't use it in anything more than cutting (not splitting) wood

Thank you! It has a nice thin bit and seems to bite pretty deep. This one should be perfect of cleaning up a few crooked pine trees I’m going to clear out this summer.

The face of the poll and area behind the eye turned black when I put it in a vinegar bath, is it common for a boys axe to have a hardened poll?

Last edited:
Back