What did you rehang today?

Just very fine work all the way through, Miller. I love it!

Thank you very much Square_peg. He really liked it and I truely enjoyed very bit of giving it to him.
He is a huge history buff, and the Civil Defense issue axe, on top of being a Legitimus Fireaxe...just icing on the cake.
Thank you again!

Well i finally went to peavey manufacturing in brewer Maine and purchased 5 new handles for $66 and change. They're all white ash and made in Maine. They are a tad chunky and varnished but that can be fixed. This is my Emerson&Stevens #2-3/4 boys axe. It swings and chops so well it's just a joy to use. And to look at! I couldn't be happier to finally own one. The eye is slightly misshapen and would take a custom made handle(which i will do this summer, i have white ash blanks from my backyard drying right now) to totally fill the eye but this one is super tight and will do for now.
ZsqVtrW.jpg
GEX1XSb.jpg
CFePowK.jpg
SYcot4E.jpg
JLunc29.jpg
XrEiMQl.jpg
KtadFfO.jpg

Lord Baltimore... hahaha. I love how old it looks. I rehung my double stamped axe today. It was made by King Axe And Tool co in Oakland ME but it was restamped P-V AXE over the KATCO. Its a #3-1/4 Dayton and while it wasn't finished(ground) very thoroughly it's been a great axe.
A3cCpeO.jpg
m3O7Ozo.jpg
7tdQ5bx.jpg
vAjauJZ.jpg
24QYCHR.jpg
NQdJJUh.jpg
it's hung on one of the 30" white ash handles i got the other day. I decided to sand it to an octagonal haft. It feels really good in hand and is perfect for chopping wood while standing on the log.

Plumb Connecticut 3.5 lbs, weight on my scale is 3 lbs 5 oz. It had minimal pole damage. I slightly reprofiled and thinned the bit. It’s hard.

The handle (hickory I think) was old and weathered but never had been hung, thehead was just slipped on when I got it.Scraping reviled solid but stained wood (especially stained on the upper half). The fit was perfect, I did nothing to the toung, just set the head and wedge.

Still need to do the final edge, then test.

Lord Baltimore... hahaha. I love how old it looks. I rehung my double stamped axe today. It was made by King Axe And Tool co in Oakland ME but it was restamped P-V AXE over the KATCO. Its a #3-1/4 Dayton and while it wasn't finished(ground) very thoroughly it's been a great axe.
A3cCpeO.jpg
m3O7Ozo.jpg
7tdQ5bx.jpg
vAjauJZ.jpg
24QYCHR.jpg
NQdJJUh.jpg
it's hung on one of the 30" white ash handles i got the other day. I decided to sand it to an octagonal haft. It feels really good in hand and is perfect for chopping wood while standing on the log.

I like the handle, knob end! Was that from Peavey?
Anyway, I like the knob, curious if they have knobs in 28" or shorter...:cool::)

I like the handle, knob end! Was that from Peavey?
Anyway, I like the knob, curious if they have knobs in 28" or shorter...:cool::)
Yes it was from peavey. I forget where they get them from but i do know they're made in Maine. I believe under 36" they are all knob end like that one. 36" and over are fawns foot. I did a lot of shaping though to get it as pronounced as it is. Super comfortable to swing.

Hey guys. I hung this quite a long time ago but wanted to post it anyway. One of my more "collectible" axes. They are ALL collectible to me! Lol. There was no weight stamp on it but it weighs #2-3.8oz. I'm convinced it came on the original handle simply because it was never used and it had the Grellner patent wedge installed. Not fun to remove...I decided to take the head off and re hang because it was loose and i couldn't stand it! It was a 27" handle but now measures 26 1/2".
cjq0BVl.jpg

kTt8bt7.jpg

I spent awhile cleaning and reshaping the grellner wedge so that it would function properly once i drove the little spike in.
Z6n7AEX.jpg

BoR0nxU.jpg
2z34yuM.jpg
jHfzprz.jpg
5yQ041n.jpg
lsZKNI7.jpg
eyQxKxL.jpg
83aO4S7.jpg
ycybXj7.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ Superb!!!!!

I love it. That thing is so fresh.
Thank you! Its one of my favorites. This one will not get used, I'll save it in its current condition for posterity. It's got a little bit of the gold paint left in the etch and in a few places the original black paint too. I paid a hundred dollars for locally at an antique store but i feel it was worth it.

Back