What did you rehang today?

How long is that handle!?
This one is 34". I haven't found much of anything on the maker, but I have not put a ton of effort into looking. I'm assuming that it is English or more likely Northeast Colonial. I have also been informed, by someone who would know, that this tool is set up for carpentry work rather than shipwright work based on the handle shape. The head would have been correct for either.

20180703_095101.jpg

20180703_100504.jpg

20180703_095230.jpg

20180703_095139.jpg

20180703_095128.jpg

20180703_095154.jpg

Walters Midget Black Diamond

Here's my first brush axe. Paid $21 for it. Whoever had it before me didn't bother to clean it and just blasted it and the handle with black spray paint. So i cleaned it and sharpened it and made a sheath for it from some fire hose i bought for that purpose. The first couple are how it arrived.
yzv4BUz.png
nI0Alhl.png
7zoXTSG.jpg
PJQe0s7.jpg
AWJhZmx.jpg
4yXPKR9.jpg
1ZvRWH3.jpg
X0LMrYi.jpg
IUTW6fQ.jpg
ChpMhOu.jpg

Here's a little Swedish hatchet i cleaned up, oiled and sharpened for my son in law. The handle looks to be original and a little BLO made it tighter. Never mind the file tracks they'll blend in after a while haha! The bit was very hard by the way...
View attachment 937798 View attachment 937799 View attachment 937800 View attachment 937801 View attachment 937802

Beautiful hatchet! Well done. It's nice to see someone take the time to file the edge back to a shape that will cut efficiently.

This axe is a wedding present for some friends of mine. They live on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State. This is logging country and almost everyone has a fireplace or wood stove. This is a simple Kelly Woodslasher designed to be a solid working axe. It's not a perfect hang. It's not a perfect haft. It's not a perfect axe. But I think it will be a good solid worker.

After sanding and finishing I discovered that this is a piece of curly hickory. The curliness shows better in certain lights and at certain angles. The haft is a 32" Tennessee Hickory curved haft.
1.jpg

Oiled leather sheath from Harry Epstein.
2.jpg

3.jpg

Hand filed and honed. C37 stamp.
5.jpg

Clean poll.
6.jpg

Slimmed haft with 2 coats BLO and 6 coats of tung.
7.jpg

Haft didn't fill the eye but it will be fine.
8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

It's ready for work.

You made that handle gorgeous and good job on that bit! You put a lot of work into that axe and I'm sure they will enjoy it.

I want to live in a world where a good axe is an acceptable and appreciated wedding gift.

Well, apparently I actually do! I meant to say live in a place. Around here, an axe would make a good gift between men, but as a wedding present people would think you were weird.

Last edited:
Back