What did you rehang today?

The woman grew up in a log cabin with wood heat. And she's a Viking descendant. She'll use it more than he does.
My wife's great grandparents arrived here from Sweden with everything they owned in a trunk. I would bet they knew one end of an axe from another, but my wife would not touch one (although she did try tomahawk throwing at camp this year). It has to be upbringing and setting.

My wife's great grandparents arrived here from Sweden with everything they owned in a trunk. I would bet they knew one end of an axe from another, but my wife would not touch one (although she did try tomahawk throwing at camp this year). It has to be upbringing and setting.

How did the tomahawk throwing go?

I've got quite a few pics with this one. When i started collecting i was curious why one couldn't use a branch as a haft so i tried it and found out why. Branches shrink radially and the wood just isn't tough enough in my experiment at least. I had it fit perfectly but it kept coming loose. I was given a pair of snow&neally Hudson bay axes by my neighbor. This one the stamp was faint and it was all beat up so after cleaning there was no s&n stamp anymore. I reused an awesome but over struck handle with almost perfect grain. So the first four pics are the old branch handle with a white ash wedge i made.
zEsAnte.jpg
qcXDJ1Q.jpg
naYtKT6.jpg

uZXqZSk.jpg

A few in the process of hanging.
pT9Hg2c.jpg
9ysYHiF.jpg

And the finish product. (Except i haven't oiled the handle yet)
dFZK1TN.jpg
sXHcyts.jpg
UwmcdZW.jpg
Bw7BQkz.jpg
m7ln2db.jpg
5Y3Xrav.jpg
qE2rerr.jpg
6Kwzqaq.jpg

RwLIvXZ.jpg
ydv5Npw.jpg

here's that counterfeit kelly i posted a few months ago, i put it on that link from a few days ago and shaved it down a bit thicker than usual because this will be a great splitter, small head, good weight and worn phantom bevels, here's how it looked before:
pItYBpy.jpg

as you can see, the toes were worn in quite a bit so i ground the heels down a bit. i have a good bit of grinding left to do as you can see from the second picture

i have the perfect kelly perfect head for that JB. that is if you don't decide to keep it, it's a nice one

Last edited:
Back