What did you rehang today?

Some Maine hatchets. The shortest one is a clean up/rehang on the handle it came with that I did today, the others are on ash handles that I did late last summer.

IMG_20180707_181142 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180707_180144 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180707_180200 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180707_180215 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180707_180300 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180707_180352 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
Very nice hatchets! Do you know the make of that little hatchet? That weight stamp matches in font and the straight (as opposed to diagonal) fraction to a double bit i have that was made in Bangor Maine. There's almost no name left so im left guessing on it... thanks.

Very nice hatchets! Do you know the make of that little hatchet? That weight stamp matches in font and the straight (as opposed to diagonal) fraction to a double bit i have that was made in Bangor Maine. There's almost no name left so im left guessing on it... thanks.
Nope, just the weight stamp.

Nope, just the weight stamp.
Okay thanks anyway. It's the horizontal weight stamp I'm looking to pin down. That and BANGOR. MAINE is presented that way with no abbreviations and a period between the city and state instead of a comma or nothing at all.

On the subject of cross wedging, Hartwell Handles had a "self fitting" option for axe handles, with the kerfs pre-cut for cross wedging, and all the wooden wedges provided. (This was also available on handles for hammers and picks.)

BookReaderImages.php

From Hartwell Handles Catalog 92, 1955

I just got one of these, NOS unused, 30" for a full sized head. It's the handle I picked up on Tuesday.

I see in their ad that they did it the right way, cross-wedge first then a two-piece main wedge.
;)
I'm sure it doesn't matter much either way but that is the way I do it. I don't like the idea of driving tiny pieces of cross wedge.

Those handles look really nice. I have yet to experiment with cross wedging but i really like the way it looks. Here is a handle i made yesterday from white ash i harvested last fall and have had drying since then. I made the wedge from the same piece. A few pics of making the handle.
MPEl5RN.jpg

m1KxkkO.jpg
t9SjwzT.jpg
7SLZkbf.jpg

Its a little hard to see but there's about a 5° forward angle on the eye. That's what i was going for anyway. I chose a piece that the grain went that way anyway.
geVsLRJ.jpg
FQtqTKm.jpg
PLETmrd.jpg
Fq6JPp2.jpg
TCnRJCQ.jpg
4jNENyD.jpg
FADNxwL.jpg
W1P2lCv.jpg

Now i just have to bend the haft a tad. I think I've thought of a good way to do it. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks for looking! It's a J.J. Higgins no.8 by the way.

I rehung this plumb half hatchet on its original handle with the original take up screw wedge.
DSC_0246.jpg

DSC_0247.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

Anything? I wonder if it's due to my using postimg.cc since postimg.org no longer works for me?

Those links work. Click on the “Share” button at the top and select “Hotlink for Forums”. Copy and paste that text into the body of your post and the image will show. Nice looking hatchet :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Do they work now? As a side note, don't delete the photos from postimg once you've downloaded them or they won't work.

Last edited:
I want to live in a world where a good axe is an acceptable and appreciated wedding gift.

Well, apparently I actually do! I meant to say live in a place. Around here, an axe would make a good gift between men, but as a wedding present people would think you were weird.

You can never be certain how a gift will be received. But I think I know my friends and that they will appreciate it.

Turns out it was a Viking-themed wedding and they actually cut the cake with an axe! This would have been her idea! I think I did fine.

36895735_1874131769274005_4193157656048828416_o.jpg

I decided to hang that Walters Black Diamond db today. Didn't have a suitable handle but i did have some 5/4 rock maple left over from some thresholds i made for a customer. White ash wedge. The light isn't very good so I'll post other pics when i get it oiled. The grain is quite pretty! Hard to see though because i was losing light fast by the time i finished. So here's the almost finished product. Needs blo and honing.
vDHkq3c.jpg

DMy3KwX.jpg
tCuFxjy.jpg
M2eYIOB.jpg
hIaR14H.jpg
RKajGZL.jpg
0jRxQBc.jpg
gyfY6M5.jpg
LdwmmTZ.jpg
rxIIGO7.jpg

There's some real nice looking grain there that'll come out better once oiled and in good light. I'll post pics maybe tomorrow if i get it done this evening. Have a good one! 24" handle btw.

Back