What did you rehang today?

I got this one by accident, the auction said small double bit so I assumed it was a cruiser and didn’t ask any questions about dimensions. I wasn’t looking for a saddle cruiser but I made up a handle and tried it out today. It will split and chop for sure, but so will single bits this size, and they have a poll which makes them more useful for me anyway. I like the way it looks, and it does feel nice to swing, but honestly I think it’s kind of dangerous, so it will likely spend most of its time on the wall. Maybe it would throw well at short distances? But then I don’t want wreck my new handle,lol.

AyUiSWl.jpg

nmVlz8v.jpg

6XlIKuc.jpg

PLuwxbb.jpg
Nice job on the handle and hang! I'm with ya though. Maybe they are an acquired appreciation kinda thing? Personally i don't see the point in them. I was pleased to get this Walters Black Diamond at a yard sale a month or two ago. I made a rock maple handle for it and its hung on one of my double bit racks ever since! I like it but its the LAST one I'd grab if shtf.
Ov4xi6n.jpg
xd9hmlt.jpg

That is really nice. No makers marks? I am not getting the Norlund vibe from that at all.
If you ever want to trade it for something let me know.
Thanks Garry. No marks on it, I’m pretty sure it’s a cruiser someone cut down long ago. The bits were very uneven in length and cutting edges. I spent a lot of time filing to get them closer to simmetrical. I think I will hold on to it for now and see how much I use it.

I'm with ya. Saddle axes don't hold any attraction to me for the reason you stated, no poll. I mean come on, who really needs 2 tiny axe bits because they're going to dull the first one? What, did you strike a rock while sitting in the saddle? Tall rock!

If I find one I flip it.
To be honest, I guess the double bit cruisers are in the same category for me too. I’m a wedge banging, splitting, and occasional limbing type. I guess some of the stuff I pick up just to have a full collection, and I really do appreciate the specific uses and history behind them. I mean they don’t these things anymore, at least not like they used to, gotta have a few of your own right?

Nice job on the handle and hang! I'm with ya though. Maybe they are an acquired appreciation kinda thing? Personally i don't see the point in them. I was pleased to get this Walters Black Diamond at a yard sale a month or two ago. I made a rock maple handle for it and its hung on one of my double bit racks ever since! I like it but its the LAST one I'd grab if shtf.
Ov4xi6n.jpg
xd9hmlt.jpg
I’m a Walters fan too, since they were made North of the border, like me, lol.

That is really nice. No makers marks? I am not getting the Norlund vibe from that at all.
If you ever want to trade it for something let me know.
It's not a norlund ( actually looks to be better than a norlund ).
I don't know why, but I personally find saddle cruisers to be awesome.
So there's no poll ?
Youll be pounding carved tent stakes at the very most, and it's easy enough to just use the side of it.
I've done so with my Imicasa / marbles, it worked fine and nothing about using it felt unsafe.
I think it's just a mental thing one has to get over.

It's not a norlund ( actually looks to be better than a norlund ).
I don't know why, but I personally find saddle cruisers to be awesome.
So there's no poll ?
Youll be pounding carved tent stakes at the very most, and it's easy enough to just use the side of it.
I've done so with my Imicasa / marbles, it worked fine and nothing about using it felt unsafe.
I think it's just a mental thing one has to get over.
No different then using a rigging axe or many other carpentry axes that have the blade facing the user most of the time. Still such things intimidate many users. Not for everyone.

Nice work! So I recently got a Rixford. It seems like a wedge pattern. Am I correct in that assumption? Did they make a true wedge pattern?

Kind of looks like a wedge but it does have a high center line.Think 42blades knows a lot about rixford maybe he can tell you if they made a wedge.

Finished up two more self made ash handles.

The first may be a Kelly with eye ridges, I can’t tell as it was all sanded down. Not really my style but the person this is for likes shiny stuff anyway, lol.

CME3SC6.jpg

2VpyXAE.jpg

4A0MLEM.jpg

H6Nr3nR.jpg

The other is a 3.2 Kelly, probably my favorite one so far. This one might get some use, so it gets a sheath.

uf8FyLO.jpg

tTVqLPm.jpg

4p0DWPr.jpg

oduHfPu.jpg

I already posted the two smaller ones, but these four are to be Christmas gifts for family members, they may not necessarily all get used, but I think they will be appreciated for what they are. Cheers!

su0xNbx.jpg

Very nice. You've probably told us but where in the country does the Ash come from? Have you used any of the heart wood?

Great job Nbrackett! It's addictive... This is the Plumb victory that followed me home the other day. The factory 16" handle was too short in my book plus the eye wood was damaged. So i made a red oak haft for it today. 28". Head weighs #2-5.0 oz. I didn't take any of the process except this one before i finished the palm swell.
k76JIeJ.jpg

UK3GtRA.jpg
T8nAsmo.jpg
rnVrpNI.jpg
qWhAlVo.jpg
r76wNhR.jpg
k27Qvmv.jpg

I need to oil it this evening. I'm pleased with it! Dry Red oak is light and that makes it have good balance with a longer handle/ light head application like this. This thing swings like a champ!

Very nice. You've probably told us but where in the country does the Ash come from? Have you used any of the heart wood?
I’m in southern Ontario, and whatever ash trees aren’t already dead are dying now, at least that’s what I’ve seen.
I used a homemade chainsaw mill and took two 2” slabs off the length of a log. I tried to used the best grain from the second slab. No heartwood, it was an 18 or 20” log. Thanks

In the states, east and North of the Mississippi river is where you can find ash. I tend to use sap wood for mine. But in younger ash like the ones I've harvested and dried for handles I inevitably end up with some heart wood. And they have held up fine so far!

Great job Nbrackett! It's addictive... This is the Plumb victory that followed me home the other day. The factory 16" handle was too short in my book plus the eye wood was damaged. So i made a red oak haft for it today. 28". Head weighs #2-5.0 oz. I didn't take any of the process except this one before i finished the palm swell.
k76JIeJ.jpg

UK3GtRA.jpg
T8nAsmo.jpg
rnVrpNI.jpg
qWhAlVo.jpg
r76wNhR.jpg
k27Qvmv.jpg

I need to oil it this evening. I'm pleased with it! Dry Red oak is light and that makes it have good balance with a longer handle/ light head application like this. This thing swings like a champ!
I think 28” looks just right, nice work!

Back