What did you rehang today?

I hung the Underhill today. I used the Plumb handle that i got with the Plumb victory boys axe the other day. It was a much better length for this axe and the eye was smaller on this one so i was able to remove 90% of the damaged part of the eye.
J4277di.jpg
b3Z6BA6.jpg
5rgngGJ.jpg
QsKLHWH.jpg
oYyx3B2.jpg

The steel was nice and hard on this one. It's a nice little axe! Does anyone else have an underhill they enjoy using?

In the states, east and North of the Mississippi river is where you can find ash. I tend to use sap wood for mine. But in younger ash like the ones I've harvested and dried for handles I inevitably end up with some heart wood. And they have held up fine so far!

Ash grows where I live but it is commonly called Green Ash, and I've used it for handles but the heart wood is frequently a larger portion of the tree than the sap - dependent in this case on the fact that they get borers before they get very large. I'd like to use it more because it grows around me but I'm always interested in the results of others. Glad to hear it works out well for you too. I know it does for JB.

I’m in southern Ontario, and whatever ash trees aren’t already dead are dying now, at least that’s what I’ve seen.
I used a homemade chainsaw mill and took two 2” slabs off the length of a log. I tried to used the best grain from the second slab. No heartwood, it was an 18 or 20” log. Thanks

That seems like a good size to me. Same here with them dying.

I need some help guys. This is my first Connecticut hang and due to the flight curve on the top of the head. Did I set the bit angle to far down, it makes the poll seem oddly angled. Please help I’ve set this head off and back on no less than 30 times.

I would only ask if the haft fills the eye from top to bottom and all the way thru in these pictures?

Otherwise I think it looks great.
For me, I believe you hung it right on, looks like a connie should.

Perhaps you could post some pics at the shoulder and eye? Who's stamp does he bear? If I am seeing a stamp I just cant make it out.

Reminds me how my Roger's and Kelly's sit.

How long a haft there?

I need some help guys. This is my first Connecticut hang and due to the flight curve on the top of the head. Did I set the bit angle to far down, it makes the poll seem oddly angled. Please help I’ve set this head off and back on no less than 30 times.
It looks like you hung it right to me, but maybe a bit longer haft would have made it seem more balanced between bit and poll angles, if that makes sense?

If one of my examples help put yours into perspective I am proud to show off this beauty...

20180725_185959.jpg

20180725_190018.jpg

I hung this about a month back I believe and oh I love it all. Balance, bevel, grind, haft, weight, pure bucking beauty.

Great hang you have Justin

Now it's time to pay a little tribute to a man I grew up with and watch Smokey and the Bandit with some Coors! Yes, here on the east coast now thanks to the Bandit! :thumbsup::cool:

Just got this plumb victory rafter today. Head was loose so i rehung it.
M8P1ov8.jpg
KePFM5k.jpg
UOvOFqk.jpg
WdDX3cz.jpg

Perfect grain!
fxPNm6J.jpg
ePw22Cm.jpg

Was kinda sad to remove the original wedge but had to to rehang. So i did. I kept it though and plan to use it on a hammer or something in the future.
eoQ1xCr.jpg

Last week i didn't have any plumb victory axes. Now i have three!

Just got this plumb victory rafter today. Head was loose so i rehung it.
M8P1ov8.jpg
KePFM5k.jpg
UOvOFqk.jpg
WdDX3cz.jpg

Perfect grain!
fxPNm6J.jpg
ePw22Cm.jpg

Was kinda sad to remove the original wedge but had to to rehang. So i did. I kept it though and plan to use it on a hammer or something in the future.
eoQ1xCr.jpg

Last week i didn't have any plumb victory axes. Now i have three!
only ever seen one, it was worn to nearly unrecognizable shape for $45

and here you guys are posting one every other week

Except blo I've got the smaller craftsman done. It had two steel wedges previously but i can get away with using one. The larger original was in good shape so i used it. This a sweet little axe! Very, very hard steel! Took me a good long while to file and i didn't even do a crescent this time. The cheeks aren't flat either. Medium high center i guess you would call them. We still have no idea regarding stamps=age?
Y9u94zg.jpg
kEB6J3P.jpg
9GfIg4l.jpg
aEVGCrd.jpg
4cjWezb.jpg
VGxbshi.jpg
CULoKqj.jpg
sKsaXr4.jpg

. I think I'll get another one hung today too. My one day off, trying to make it count!

Back