What did you rehang today?

Great looking rehang, filling the eye completely thru:thumbsup:

Great down on the shoulder as low as you went, really looking good:cool:
Thank you! I really do try to totally fill the eye on every axe. Sometimes it just can't be helped but its kind of a pet peeve of mine to get em as close to perfect as i can. I'm sure everyone feels that way! I just oiled the haft... man is that beautiful! I'll post up pics of the last few axes all oiled up and pretty later. Thanks again for the edification!

I think I forgot to post pics of the top of that michigan Chemicalaxe.
This was the first time Ive really gone with just the wooden wedge, and the results were great.
I've used it a bunch over the past week dismantling / processing a couple old couches, and it's not budged one bit.
screengrab
I suppose it's stayed put because I got a fairly good fit overall and because I left it proud a good 3/4" which really spread out.

Well i got the snow and neally boys axe hung but its not quite finished. Made a 20" hard maple handle for it. Tomorrow after work I'll thin down the swell a bit. Just a couple pics for now.
fOe41cA.jpg
tZl6ih2.jpg

Last edited:
All original E&S 3.25lb Connie on a 28.5" handle. Just cleaned and oiled.

IMG_20180909_164656 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180910_090849 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

Oh for crying out loud that's amazing. Should be illegal to leave something like that out to rust away.

ETA: Yeah I didn't put enough words in this post to express what I really think so here are some more. Perfect weight, perfect pattern, perfect handle, perfect length. It probably had a perfect hang, but I'll bet it does now that you've had some time with it. It's a perfect axe.

Well I finally picked up the double bit I started in on in spring. I suspect most of the hard work was done already as I made significant progress today. I've been sanding selectively and I've got the edges pretty well aligned with the handle. One's pretty damn close while the other isn't nearly as far off as it was at first. Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to put it any further down the handle and it for some reason looks a bit crooked to me. The head isn't perfectly symmetrical so maybe that's it but I just can't decide if it's crooked or if I'm just looking at it cockeyed.
https://ibb.co/jTdCvU

I am very excited to put this little dude to work. I gave it a few swings when I got it and it just struck me as a perfect combination of head weight and wood for my size. The haft is slim and smooth from years of work and I just could not see separating the two. They were made for each other and work very well together. Nice to give this axe another breath of life. A very satisfying project.

Thanks! I'm thinking about making another bench out of the large oak slab I posted in it followed me home. The small one will be a shaving horse. What is the advantage of that type of sledge though?

Thanks! I'm thinking about making another bench out of the large oak slab I posted in it followed me home. The small one will be a shaving horse. What is the advantage of that type of sledge though?

I don't know specifically without looking into the style but it may be a rail type splitter or other railroad industry type splitter and hammer.

Maybe start there but I am hoping for us both someone steps in to correct me before to long if needed lol

I don't know specifically without looking into the style but it may be a rail type splitter or other railroad industry type splitter and hammer.

Maybe start there but I am hoping for us both someone steps in to correct me before to long if needed lol
speaking of the railroads, does the term railsplitter refer to the guys splitting the rails or the guys splitting wood for the engines cause we didnt use coal until the industrial revolution and the term is older than that because lincoln was a railsplitter
any insight?

Railsplitter originally meant someone who split fence rails, such as Abe Lincoln, beyond that, I dunno.

Back